Author Topic: The Monarchy  (Read 3057 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
The Monarchy
« on: April 15, 2005, 08:26:16 AM »
As you all may, or may not, know, we Australians had a referendum some years ago to decid whether or not to become a Republic.  The majority of Australians, I think, did want to dump the Monarchy.  HOWEVER, and this is the sticking point,  our Prime Minister, didn't.  He manipulated us so that we would vote NO.
The deal we had presented to us was that we would become a Republic, and that the Prime Minster would chose the President.  We didn't want that, we wanted to chose our own President.  So we voted NO.
Whenever a member of the Royal Family visits Australia we have to pay for their air travel, and all their other expenses, not just for them but all the hangers on.
And I think we are too far away now to be part of the UK, -  weez all growd up now.
 8)
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

richard esq.

Re: The Monarchy
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 09:47:09 AM »
Quote from: Pauline
As you all may, or may not, know, we Australians had a referendum  The majority of Australians, I think, did want to dump the Monarchy.  HOWEVER, and this is the sticking point,  our Prime Minister, didn't.  He manipulated us so that we would vote NO.
The deal we had presented to us was that we would become a Republic, and that the Prime Minster would chose the President.  
And I think we are too far away now to be part of the UK, -  weez all growd up now.
 8)
good on yer "blue".trouble is you keep getting the likes of mr. menzies (remember the Menzies line ?) or some irish idiot for prime minister ,richard..........................