Author Topic: Mothers Day  (Read 6225 times)

Anonymous

Mothers Day
« on: March 06, 2005, 10:25:57 AM »
:) Would just like to pay a  tribute to all the mothers on Downham who went without to keep us well fed and clothed inspite of no electricity or modern appliances. God bless you all...Bel

Bren4

Re: Mothers Day
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 09:02:21 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
:) Would just like to pay a  tribute to all the mothers on Downham who went without to keep us well fed and clothed inspite of no electricity or modern appliances. God bless you all...Bel

Absolutely right Bel.  I am so glad I thanked my mother for all the hard work she put in.  And not just in the home but going out to clean Durham Hill school or work in the school kitchen at Ballamore school; machining in sweat shops or machining at home.  I don't know how she did it all.
Brenda

Derek Durrant

Mothers Day.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:00:26 AM »
I share your views on "Mothers".Mine was the best and I will always remember her,I often reflect on how my parents would think of life as we know it today.It is certainly true "mums"are the best friend you ever had,our parents are to be thanked for so much,all we can do is pass it on to our children and Grandchildren.

dickie eagle

Re: Mothers Day
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 10:08:27 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
       Bel, my love I will second that motion, mums are very special so take care and make a fuss of them while you have them.Me? I have some feelings of guilt but think my mother even made allowances ,Now I make a fuss over the young girl I made a Mum (Four times ,with a commision between each one ! )   'bye,    dickie..........

Pauline

• View Profile
Mothers
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 07:45:19 AM »
Mum made all my clothes, she was good at it too.
Dad repaired my shoes.  When they got too small Mum cut the toes out.  Can you imagine trying to do that to your children?  EEKK!!! my granddaughter thought I was joking.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Bren4

Mothers
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 10:53:12 PM »
My mother, like yours Pauline, made all our clothes.  I had older cousins who used to pass on their winter coats.  Mum used to unpick them and make them up into coats for my sister and me.  I don't think her fingers were ever still.  She was either sewing, darning, knitting or something.
My god, what women they were!
Brenda

Bel

• View Profile
Mothers Day
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 10:33:31 AM »
They certainly were.. during the war years my mother used to make me my favourite pineapple jam out of turnips and pineapple flavouring and it tasted lovely. Dad always kept our shoes in tip  top condition and we were always smartly turned out and well fed.  |Bel

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Mothers tribute
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 03:58:57 AM »
On March 27th my Mother would have been 97. I think as you grow older you appreciate Mums more, the greatest gift they gave us was life. I sure appreciate it. Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

smiffy domain

Re: Mothers tribute
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 09:17:39 AM »
Quote from: JSmith
On March 27th my Mother would have been 97. I think as you grow older you appreciate Mums more, the greatest gift they gave us was life. I sure appreciate it. Smiffy
               our smudge hides his light behind a bushel. there were several "smith" families on downham,one of which lived over the fish & chip shop, up the the top! (he always smelt like fish & chips ),the smiths down southover,and those in ivorydown too , were you trying to outnumber the rest of downham ? nowadays its the Patels who are the commonist name in the telephone directories. your mum seems to have done a good job with you mate. by the way are you anywhere near lindsay ? dickie...........

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mothers tribute
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 02:42:04 AM »
Quote from: smiffy domain
Quote from: JSmith
               our smudge hides his light behind a bushel. there were several "smith" families on downham,one of which lived over the fish & chip shop, up the the top! (he always smelt like fish & chips ),the smiths down southover,and those in ivorydown too , were you trying to outnumber the rest of downham ? nowadays its the Patels who are the commonist name in the telephone directories. your mum seems to have done a good job with you mate. by the way are you anywhere near lindsay ? dickie...........

Hi Dickie       I live in Pickering which is south of Lindsay, east of Toronto. Lake Ontario just down the road. Thanks for the compliment.  :)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.