Author Topic: SNOW SNOW SNOW  (Read 5195 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
SNOW SNOW SNOW
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
Just to let all those know who are living in far off places. It has been Snowing on and off for a day. Not to bad but as usual Britain is slowly grinding to a halt. I dont understand people who cant drive in the Snow still go out and then block the roads, then we are all stuck . Oh well hope you are all keeping well out their.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SNOW SNOW SNOW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:58:05 AM »
Its times like these, I like our summer time temps 30/35 degs most days, at least it does not stop us going out? I remember my trucking days in the Uk with snow and ice, not fun, and other drivers, well not going there.  Regards Frank H.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:50:54 AM »
There is no happy medium, is there?  Freeze to death in the UK or burn in Australia!

Hope all of you in the UK are surviving the cold and slippery conditions and that all of you in Australia are keeping safe from fire.  It's been far too hot for me, that's for sure.

Bren

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:52 PM »
It's good to see some activity back on this great website. Talking of the weather - and it's all the media are talking about here at the moment - the rain came down like stair rods for about four hours this morning causing local flooding of the lanes around here. The land is so saturated that run offs from the fields cause the problem. This afternoon heavy snow is forecast for the south coast - the met man on TV was almost hugging himself with self satisfied glee as he glumly announced that ' The Met Office has issued an Amber Warning of severe traffic and travel disruption over the rush hour'! Big deal! I recall that as a boy the population just got on with it - schools weren't closed or revised transport timetables announced when there was a snowfall. Mac the milkman still delivered and Dad managed to get to and from work on the tram As is usual, many roads have been closed because of accidents eg the A38 main road to Plymouth. I agree with Splinter on this one, the trouble is caused by idiot motorists not adapting to the weather and road conditions. Even with deep standing pools of water at the sides of the roads maniacs will still overtake charging into the water at all sorts of speeds and then wondering why they lose control of their car. Enough moaning. I hope that all friends and acquaintances 'down under' are safe and their properties secure from the wide spread fires we've heard about at home.
Reading this back I realise that it makes me sound like a lot of the people at home - obsessed with the weather!
A quick message for Splinter - I hope to visit Downhanm again in late Spring

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 07:24:38 AM »
Vic Keep me posted on your visit and give me as much notice as possible.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 02:52:42 AM »
We have great extremes of weather conditions going on at present: tornadoes and severe flooding in parts of Queensland and serious bush-fires in the southern states.  I don't know what is worse.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:17:53 AM »
Hi People

It's hot here. Not a breath of air.  At least I don't have to shovel it up!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:27:49 AM »
Good to see you on the forum again, Pauline.  I hope all is well with you and your family.

Cool down here today but with sunshine.  A blessed relief to have a break from the heat-wave.  It was obvious there had been some rain a few kms from here as we passed some puddles en route to town.  Nothing down here, I'm sorry to say.

Bren

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 09:24:59 AM »
I thought Brenda might be interested to hear that there has been a big public protest about the intended closing of the A & E and Maternity departments at Lewisham Hospital. I believe that thousands have taken to the streets to protest.
The unofficial reason, claimed by the protesters, is that the finance for those departments is to be used elsewhere in South London where they are not so efficient. Patients may find it necessary to travel to Bromley or up to London.
I've always thought that Lewisham Hospital is synonymous with Downham and the surrounding area - seems a shame to close things especially as there has just been a big refurbishment.
I know that this website is apolitical, but I thought that our overseas brethren, especially Brenda, would like to know.
I shall go out now - it's stopped raining for five minutes!
Vic.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 02:58:43 AM »
You are right, Vic, Downham and Lewisham Hospital always went hand in hand, didn't they?   And you are right again, I am always very interested in this sort of news.

One has to wonder  who on earth  would make the decision to close such very busy departments and ones that, I presume, were upgraded when the hospital was modernized.

Let's hope People Power makes the  instigator/s of this plan rethink things. 

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »
The Government recon that if Lewisham Hospital shuts it will take only a few more mins to get to Woolwich Hospital. A few more Air Ambulances needed then. I sometimes get really annoyed at some of the idiots they have ruling this country. We know they don`t have brains so why do they do stupid things just to prove it maybe.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 02:07:40 AM »
38 degs today 42 tomorrow, normal aussie weather
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »
It's ridiculous but the week before last it got so chilly, we had to light the fire for a couple of days. Then we went back to the high temperatures and the day it reached 39oC we had to be in Melbourne.  I had forgot just how hot the city can get.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 08:21:07 AM »
Its the 12th of March and i am up to my Kneecaps in SNOW. Its been a long long Winter. I cannot wait for warmer weather. I Might even get onto the Golf Course before Easter but i am not betting on it. Hope the weather with all of you is better.