Author Topic: New Tenants  (Read 4001 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
New Tenants
« on: January 03, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »
My Tenants for Pendragon Road have left after nearly 2 years. They haved moved nearer her Mothers in Southover. But good news is her cousin likes my house and comes from Downham so is moving in. So i am slowly getting families back to the old estate.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: New Tenants
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:14:05 AM »
Well, isn't that nice, Splinter.

At the moment, the large and unruly privet bush outside our front fence (we think former owners probably had a failed hedge!) is in flower and the beautiful scent takes me right back.  It is - for me - the smell of Downham.

Bren

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:00:07 PM »
My Tenants for Pendragon Road have left after nearly 2 years. They haved moved nearer her Mothers in Southover. But good news is her cousin likes my house and comes from Downham so is moving in. So i am slowly getting families back to the old estate.

Hi Splinter. Reading your post, could not but wonder how Southover is looking these days. We used to live at 278 for about 20 years (1938-58ish), at the top opposite the lavatories. Just a few yards down Southover was a very deliberate tarmac line across the road; the Lewisham - Bromley border. I could never understand it at the time because our address was Downham, Bromley, Kent anyway. Does that still apply ? There were virtually no cars parked in the road. (or anywhere else for that matter). I suspect that these days it is very different, but surely the width of the road only allows parking on one side ? Very difficult to imagine, having not been back to the estate for donkeys years. Perhaps it is better to remember things as they were. Good luck all. Ken Catlin.
P.S. To all our friends in Oz, hope you havn't been affected by those terrible floods. Pass on our best wishes to everyone out there. K.C.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:02:19 PM by Ken Catlin »

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:32:17 AM »
Ken, did you by any chance know a couple called Phyllis and Ray Goodyear? They lived in your vicinity.  Oh, I've got that wrong. They lived near there but in Downham Way itself, not Southover.

We, in Victoria, are experiencing some ... ahem ... excessive water problems, but nothing like the Queenslanders.  It's heartbreaking to see what they are going through.  I have a nephew (a truck driver) who is stranded in one of the country towns because there is no way out through the water at present.  He's lucky: he's in a motel that still has electricity.  His partner is in Brisbane. She is safe as she's on higher ground.  My daughter and her family are an hour's drive from Brisbane but still safe and lives on a hill! 

Locally: my husband could not go to work today because of a) trees across the road - again and b) the main highway that he uses has been closed for about 3kms because of flooding en route.

We awoke to find the creek that bisects our property had risen several feet.  Some small areas of fencing have gone as have the planks on two small bridges. We'll no doubt find those farther downstream in our neighbour's property when we can search - when the water subsides.  The garden is under water as are several paddocks but the house is safe.  If I can remember how to do it, I'll put a couple of photos in the gallery.

Anyway, we are lucky.  Our problems are peanuts in comparison to what others are coping with.  I'm not sure that any of us who aren't in Queensland can fully understand the enormity of it all.

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »
Bren - thinking of you - keep safe x

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:35:26 PM »
Hi Ken. OK, The Toilets are no more and everybody now parks their cars on the pavement. The estate hasn`t changed that much just looking her age 86 this year my house is. I am thinking of you in OZ please keep safe. John
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 06:35:30 AM »
Bren - thinking of you - keep safe x

We're fine, thanks Chris.  Just some short stretches of fencing that will need replacing.
The water has gone down about four feet now.  Once it gets down to a less malignant flow, we might be able to look for our bits of bridge! 

Bren