Author Topic: What Made Us  (Read 2575 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
What Made Us
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:53:01 PM »
Does Anybody out there think that coming from Downham made us into the people we are today. Just a thought!!!!!!!!!!
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What Made Us
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 02:14:28 AM »
Does Anybody out there think that coming from Downham made us into the people we are today. Just a thought!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutley; Not just downhamites but 40's 50's generation. Our parents did not care about keeping up with the Jones's, Mum stayed at home a least untill we where thought fit to look after ourselves. This is the problem in society today everybody wants to live big, but it is at the exspense of society on the whole. Oh God Smiffy thats what your parents used to say in their day.  Life goes on. You know I am glad I am 65, I do not like the look of the future. But don't get me wrong I am having a lovely life. :)The always philisophical Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: What Made Us
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:52:48 AM »
I suppose everyone is a product of many things: environment, upbringing and era among them.  We, on Downham, were the products of parents who had, for the most part, been born into poverty and thought they were damn lucky to get a place on the estate and were consequently pretty grateful for it.  They had also been through two wars in comparatively quick succession so privation was something they were accustomed to.  It all had to rub off on us, the next generation, didn't it?

Bren