Author Topic: Where has everyone gone  (Read 11998 times)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where has everyone gone
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 02:02:06 AM »
I see everybodies gone again. It`s got to be the football. Or has WW3 started, i go away working for a few days and alls gone quite. Hope you are all OK ????

Its the football Splinter, World cup. England have to play Germany, a wise guy latenight show on American TV cracked if England has trouble beating the Germans, give them a call and they will come and help "again".  I wish I could have told him the game would be nearly over before they got involved, just like before.  Smiffy :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:04:36 AM by JSmith »
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 06:32:27 PM »
Hello Everyone,
It doesn't seem possible that it is almost - except for a couple of weeks - a year since I last put a post on this forum. As Splinter and Smiffy have said 'Where has everyone gone?' I won't bore you with my details and why I have been 'off the air' for so long. Sufficient to say that I am not quite so mobile as I was this time last year.
I have been sneaking views of Downham every so often on Google Street View - most times it makes me feel like visiting all my old haunts again; perhaps I will a bit later on in the year.
I hope all the regular 'posters' are still OK. Perhaps the long gap in postings is due to holidays, and dare I say it, the World Cup!
The players in the very few games I happened to watch, fleetingly, whilst changing TV channels could have learnt a lot about enthusiasm and  ability if they had watched a few of the games we used to play as boys in King's Meadow or 'dahn the Chinnie' with piles of coats at each end to act as goals. Also, they might have got some better players if they had used the method we had when somebody arrived late for a game. We told them to go 'pudden' or 'beef' then one of the captains would choose him by saying either 'pudden' or 'beef'.
Before England got knocked out of the competition, every other car seem to be proudly bearing St George's flag - some had up to four! They very swiftly disappeared! I reckon if Bobby and Jack Charlton, Nobby Stiles. Geoff Hurst and of course, Bobby More had been playing we might have stood a chance!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 07:48:30 AM »
Hello Everyone,
It doesn't seem possible that it is almost - except for a couple of weeks - a year since I last put a post on this forum. As Splinter and Smiffy have said 'Where has everyone gone?' I won't bore you with my details and why I have been 'off the air' for so long. Sufficient to say that I am not quite so mobile as I was this time last year.

Must say, Vic, I can't believe all that time has gone by since you posted something on the forum.  Just seems like a blink to me. 

It sounds as if you have been poorly (my Aussie friends always laugh when I use that term) and I'm sorry to hear it, but hope that you are doing much better now.  We don't get over things quite as quickly as the years march by, do we?

Bren

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Hi Vic sorry to hear you have not been well. If you are coming over to Downham let me know and i will see if we could meet up again. All the best
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 01:09:34 AM »
I am also sorry you have been unwell Vic. These things seem to catch up to us, I do not mean to be rude about your age, but I have found as I have got older the " Lemon " parts of my body have begun to make themselves known.  :) Smiffy.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 01:30:53 AM »
I must be to young to know what the LEMON parts are . Give me a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 12:14:27 AM »
I must be to young to know what the LEMON parts are . Give me a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Splinter   Maybe the term is N. American it refers to a new car that has been bought, and it keeps having the same problem that the garage cannot fix. So in my message I was referring to the parts of our body that did not grow strong enough when we where young, so now they are the weaker part and start to show their age. Of course no offense was insinuated to you or anybody else, it is just a light hearted way of explaining why things go wrong as we get older.  Smiffy :)

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 08:23:17 AM »
No offence taken. I just wondered!

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 09:58:36 AM »
EVERYBODIES GONE AGAIN !!! its been two weeks has something happened out there that i dont know about. Went back to the estate last weekend. The Baring pub is still up for sale and most people have cut their privets. But all in all she was looking well for an 85 year old.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 07:47:15 PM »
What Ho Splinter!
Don't worry my old mate, we're all out here watching to see who makes the first move! Things are looking better on my fitness side so I shall make tentative arrangements to visit D'ahnm early next year. I hope you are well - I hope all the regular subscribers are well - and that you are getting plenty of work. I'm glad the privets have been cut. It makes the place look so much better. All we need to do now is get rid of all the wheelie bins, cars and speed bumps and we'll be able to play football in the road with a tennis ball again. Ah! Those great days when we played along the side of the road all the way up Durham Hill along Northover to up the top. Sometimes it was football, sometimes marbles and sometimes alligobs (five stones). Someone was wondering why the local shoe cobbler was called the 'Snob'. As I wrote some time ago. Snobbing was the south London term for soleing and heeling boots and shoes. My old Dad did ours' in the scullery with a last on the floor, a large rasp file and a mouthful of tacks. The house stank of 'heel ball' - the compound stick that was heated up and smeared round the welts of the shoe. He would announce his intention of shoe repairing by saying ' Just going to do a bit of snobbing Ade' (my Mum). Once Phillip 'stick-a-soles' came in he stopped doing it.
'bye for now.
Vic.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 11:33:59 PM »
But all in all she was looking well for an 85 year old. <Quote from splinter:>

Are you saying Downham is 85 tears old?.  Bless Her! Smiffy.

That was ment to be Years old, do I detect a Freudian slip?. :)

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 07:18:28 AM »
Yes she`s that old. The Estate was started in 1924 and finished in 1930 the LCC did not take posession of the first house until 1925 due to some problems with the Goverment Grant. I was wondering if the council is considering a party when she is 100? they better start planning now as they only have 15 years ad i am not sure if that is enough time. Great to hear you are better Vic. And yes i am very busy with work, some weeks i could split myself in three and still not do it all. Oh well mustn`t complain.

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
Hi All, as a complete newbie I was under the impression that dozens - well at least a few- would respond to the many old memories I raised in my first couple of postings. But no, apart from two or three, I was beginning to wonder if anyone actually read them, but the "where has everyone gone" topic has made me realise that it wasn't just me. A memory.... My mum and dad, who were on the estate from nineteen hundred and frozen to death, always told me that the council had a ballot to ask residents if they would like a pub or a church at the top of Downham Way. The result of course was the Downham Tavern. Can anyone actually verify this story, or were they pulling my plonker ? On the shoe repairing story, after leaving Downham Central school I went to evening classes at Durham Hill School with my mate Peter Mc Dermott for shoe repairing lessons, which proved beneficial. I saw Peter a couple of years ago and he told me he still repairs his own shoes directly as a result of those days. By the bye does anyone remember the Mc Dermott family ?. They used to live in Capstone Road and Peter went to the Catholic school - Church of the Good Shepherd, Moorside road, and had a brother Danny. One final name - the first true love of my life also lived in Capstone Road, Doreen Lockey - I dont suppose anyone remembers that family...or do they ? Will keep in touch, have lots more memories if there is anyone out there to listen or read. Regards to all you ex Downhamites. Ken Catlin in sunny Cornwall.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 04:01:21 AM »

The truth is, Ken, there aren't all that many of us that participate on the forum. And it's true, we do tend to drop off for a little while now and then until someone gets us going again.  Please be assured, we welcome your contribution and memories.

Dickie is the one to remember names and he might (hallo, Dickie dear) recognise some you mention. The only Danny I knew in Capstone Road was the youngest of about 4 boys.  His mother's name was Nellie and I knew her as Aunt Nellie.  I thought her surname name was Scanlon but maybe that was her maiden name.  My maternal grandmother brought her into the world.  Granny had twelve children so I suppose that fitted her to be the local - if amateur - many decades ago.