Author Topic: Ancestry  (Read 5012 times)

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Ancestry
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:07:32 AM »
Downham was built around the 1920 and families came from all over the place, my wife is right into this Ancestry stuff and my side of the family lived on the Downham estate in the late 20s early 30s, my mum and dad meet in Downham in their teens, mum in Verdent Lane and Dad at 225 Downham Way. Before that they lived in Lamberth. St Georges Road, Southwark and some in Whitechaple, both mum and Dads lot lived in them areas in the late 1800s. Mums family(Collinsons) came from Kent, Isle of Sheppy then moved to London. and her father (my Grandfather) was in the beer making, working for "Watneys" and was in France in WW1 riding a horse towing a RA gun. He use to tell me stories about his time in France. My Dads father (Hutchison) was killed  on the Thames who was a lighterman in 1922 after an accident and gran remarried a Taylor who I thought was my Grandfather. My Dads Lot came From Leth near Edinburgh in the early 1800s and my G,G,G, grandfather was the founder of the Boys Own Mag, being in the printing game, and also a strict church wanted a message to go to these wayward Kids (what happen to me?) interesting stuff
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:00:16 AM »
My Mum & Dad moved into Churchdown around 1936, after they where married they lived in Forest hill, but then managed to get the house, I think back then they where pretty chuffed to get a nice place, which they were. Unfortunately the war was not long time in coming so I suspect that rather dampen things for them after the excitement of getting the house.  I will always cherish that place as I was born in the front bedroom, and probably rather foolishly I still think of it as home even though none of my Family live there.  Frank you mention your ancestors, that is one thing I regret ,and that is not asking my parents about our ancestry, and with a name like Smith I am having a wonderful time collecting it  ???.  May I just suggest to all you dynamic Downhammites,  write down what you remember about your ancestors for your Children, they may not be interested now but it will be there if the interest arises. I have no family around now to get the info.  :'(.  Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »
I have mentioned earlier that my parents moved to Downham in the early 30's, and I was born in 1936 in Lewisham Hospital. My mum came from a large family (Luckhurst) and was the youngest dying some 30 years ago. An elder sister was the last of her family to go -Lottie who died a few years ago just two weeks short of her 100th birthday. She lived for many years in Fieldside Rd. Downham. Her married name was Dover, and I had been evacuated with her for a couple of years when she lived in Loudwater, Bucks. Both Lottie and sisters Elsie, Nell and brother George lived together for many years at 71, Marmont Road, Peckham. I shall never forget that address. My dad Frank Catlin had a very different background. He was "orphaned" to a boys home early in the century and at fifteen lied about his age, joined the army and was sent to France early in WW1, was injured and sent home. The irony was that many years later he had to acquire a birth certificate for insurance purposes and discovered that a) he was a year younger than he had always thought and b) had a second name - Charles. This meant of course that he was only 14 when he joined the army. Dad did have a sister Emily whom I met a couple of times but they were never very close. Dad worked for 44 years as a maintenance driver with London Transport after which he got a handshake and a tatty certificate (enough said !). I have tried unsuccessfully to trace dad's origins through Genes Reunited, so if anyone remembers the name and can throw any light on it, I would of course be grateful. One final point about dad; he was too old to serve in WW2 so joined the Auxillary Fire Service based in Downham/Lewisham and saw a lot of carnage including I remember the infamous School bombing. That may jog someones memory. Will keep in touch. Regards Ken C.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:53:21 PM by Ken Catlin »

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:45:44 AM »
I think most of our generation say the same thing i.e. we didn't ask the questions about our ancestors when we had the chance.  Of course, the interest in genealogy has really sparked up with the advent of the internet, hasn't it? 

I was lucky in finding an older cousin in 2002 and she had far more family knowledge than I'd ever heard of.  One thing led to another, including my posting messages on various websites, and I was contacted by a lady in Canada who turned out to be descended from my paternal great grandmother's sister.  That's when I discovered my paternal roots were in Co. Cork, Ireland.  I had always presumed Dad's family were Londoners from the year dot!  Dad never, ever, said a word about his family.

This in turn has led me down other paths, even to finding someone who has traced my paternal grandmother's family back to 1649 on one side.  Recently, another family researcher found my hitherto completely unknown great grandfather died in prison in 1874.

My mother's parents were from the Milton area of Kent. They moved to London in the early part of the 20th century and Mum was brought up in Lambeth. She knew nothing of her grandparents at all.

I've recently been in contact (via Genes Reunited) with the descendants of my grandmother's sister.  You just never know when you are going to strike it rich.

There is a very good site for those interested: it's B.G. forums (I'll check on that name, looks a bit wrong) and you can post queries there and there are a lot of people with access to records who are willing to look things up for other people.

Like you, Smiffy, I still regard Downham as home.  I don't think that will ever change.

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:20:44 AM »
Okay: the site is British-Genealogy.com and from there you go onto the forums.  It's a really, really interesting site and with lots of helpful participants. Well worth a try for anyone doing their family research.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:43 AM »
My parents came to Downham in around 1936, before that they lived in Lambeth. My Dads parents had several fish and chip shops, and they had a semi detached house in Plumstead.  My Mums parents lived in Lambeth all their lives, and both died in Guys Hospital. 
I traced my mothers family back to 1432 in Ardingly Sussex, and Dads family back to 1615 in Hanover (Germany as it is now).
Ancestry.co.uk is a good place to start, you have to join, but if you just type in a few names, a lot of hints appear, and if they tie up with what you know for sure, you can liink them.
I check births, deaths & marriages on www.freebmd.org.uk/  this site is very good because it gives dates to work from. For instance usually a first child is born about a year after the marriage. If you know both peoples names it's easier, then when you identify the marriage, you can send off for the marriage certificate (costs 7 pounds) and then you may well get the fathers names. It's all a case of back tracking.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 12:34:44 AM »
My mother's mother, when living in Lambeth, acted pretty much as the local midwife.  Wonder if she delivered any of your rellies, folks?  We had a neighbour on Downham whom Granny had delivered. I was always fascianted by that connection.

Bren

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 11:30:07 AM »
I once had a tooth removed from Skinners the dentist at the bottom of Downham Way,

I'm very proud of my Downham extraction... Moan, Moan. Sorry about that. Ken C.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 02:53:19 AM »
I once had a tooth removed from Skinners the dentist at the bottom of Downham Way,

Are you pulling our "tooth?"  ::) :) :P
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 05:40:20 PM »

Are you pulling our "tooth?"

No ! It's the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, honestly.
I even remember the time of day. It was tooth hurty, so there. Ken C.