Author Topic: whats are ex downham pats doing  (Read 20102 times)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: whats are ex downham pats doing
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 01:52:21 AM »
Did anyone go to Marchants Hill Camp, Hindhead in Surrey whilst at school ? I still recall Gibbet Hill, Frensham Ponds, Devils Punchbowl and Hogs Back etc. and it was a mixed boys and girls camp /Quote

Ken.   I went to Marchants Hill camp with Mr Woodrow and a gang of boys (No Girls unfortunately) we went to the devils punch bowl Frenchham Ponds, Gibbit Hill?. Do you remember the story of the Sailor that was murdered there, I have pic's of all this the dormitories where we slept and Hind head, the dormitories each had a different name I believe. I think I put a postcard of Marchants hill camp on this website. Did you drink Dandylion & Burdock(maybe spelt wrong), at a local "tuck Shop".  Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 08:20:15 PM »
Hello Smiffy & Co. Yes, remember the story about the murdered sailor, and drank Dandilion & Burdock. You can still get it today you know. More memories :- After leaving school I worked in London for David Cope racing and football pools, Guntrips Bookmakers at Bellingham, Refuge Insurance Co, Gestetner duplicators at Brockley and Tudor Auto Services on Bromley Common - they used to run the Y-Z chewing gum machines. Anyone remember "free packet every fourth turn" and it cost 1d. On Downham I used to get dads classified every Saturday afternoon from the man outside the Tavern. I recall dad doing his nut when The Evening News went up from 1d to three halfpence. He used to stand by the blue Police box  (Tardis ?). I dont recall seeing one since. One further recollection was the shoe repairer who had a hut outside his house in Downham Way going up towards Grove Park. I dont remember his name but mum always referred to him as "The Snob". Where on earth did that title come from? Did not mix much with the girls when at Lancelot School but three names stick in the mind because they were always together: Barbara Kennett, Gillian Richardson and Gwen Batty. There were others whose names are no longer memorable. Bt the way the Headmistress at Lancelot was Miss Fanny (honestly) Walker who succeeded Mr John Betts who was very long serving. Miss Walker is in the picture of the football team which I will post when I work out how to do it. By the way did not go to Marchants Hill with the girls, but met them there. Enough rambling. Be lucky. Ken C.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 07:53:32 AM »
Hallo Ken and welcome to the site.  As you will by now have discovered, we enjoy everyone's memories of Downham and it's always nice when someone new arrives to share theirs.

Oh, how I wish we had dandelion and burdock in Australia! 

Bren

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 01:20:50 AM »
Hi Ken, All these new Posts by you got me at my tender age thinking. Even i can remember the Tardis. You didn`t say when you worked for those companies but i knew a lad cant remember his name who worked at Guntrips in the early 70`s he lived in Downham Way near Valeswood. And my Dad worked for Refuge Assurance as a rep based first in lewisham near the hospital, then when that closed i think he went to Bromley Office then New Cross office. Small World isn`t it.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
Splinter, I was at Guntrips around 1956, way before your mate I'm afraid.I am not very good at remembering dates, but I would have been at Refuge Assurance 1961 or maybe 62 and based at Lewisham. They moved on from that office just after I left, so I may very well have known your father. I was an agent with Refuge collecting insurance premiums house to house on a weekly/monthly basis around the Brockley/Forest Hill/ Crofton Park areas. Met some great people during that time. I bet most people can remember door to door weekly payment callers i.e. Insurance, Coal, Tally men in general - let's hear your stories. One Saturday job I did whilst still at school (apart from paper round and milk round) was helping Price's bread salesman. The horse drawn cart covered some miles during my Saturday stint. I havn't since spoken to anybody who remembers that. One final memory for now was sunday school at Brook Lane mission. I believe Mr Jarvis has gone down in Downham (Bromley ?) folk lore, but he really was a legend in his own lifetime. When leaving mum made sure I had my bible, a packet of Spangles and I often took a bottle of lemonade because after sunday school we dashed down to the Splendid for the 4 o'clock start of the Sunday films (plural in those days). I seem to recall the cheap seats were 10d. Plenty more stories in the brain box for another time, but guess what? I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. Aint life peculiar. Be Lucky. Ken C.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 01:01:29 AM »
Hi Ken My Dad was Les Folland, he did the same job as you and collected around Catford and Lee. He Started in the mid 60`s and retired from them in about 1983. All seem to remember my dad doing was paperwork. Reams of the stuff. £sd in those days. Thats i thought when we converted to decimal it took a while to get it into the brain, how did all you expats get on learning a new currency.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 02:11:57 AM »
That was a right old caper, converting to Decimal, got used to it after a while. What I hate is, changing measurements, especially over here.  length and liquid, I wish they would give the measurement with the old one beside it. It's really ruining my cooking, and with distance half the time I don't know where I am going, apart from old age it makes it twice as bad.  :)  Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 02:59:49 AM »
I did not have any trouble with OZ, maybe due to I only have Ten Fingers working with 12 is harder than tens. We still use the old feet and inches at times and covert back to miles when doing fuel amounts etc. Also I  was based in Germany for 4 years. What about the 3p Rush held near where I lived in one of the schools, see my first Dan Dare movie there. The Saturday Morning was my visit to the "Splended" and I think that was around 3pence. I also sold newpapers out side around the 14year mark, Star, News, Standard,get the latest news. Brenda, that friends name is Kay, not sure of her maiden name will find out, she married a Mike Boreham who lived on the Flower House Estate.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:06:29 AM by Frank (hutchsky) »
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 06:57:01 AM »
That was a right old caper, converting to Decimal, got used to it after a while. What I hate is, changing measurements, especially over here.  length and liquid, I wish they would give the measurement with the old one beside it. It's really ruining my cooking, and with distance half the time I don't know where I am going, apart from old age it makes it twice as bad.  :)  Smiffy

I remember the price of everything doubled when we converted to decimal in UK.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »
 how did all you expats get on learning a new currency.
[/quote]

I was still in England at the decimal currency changeover so there was no problem getting used to dollars and cents in Oz.  I often think, though, of how marvellous we kids were to have learnt our pounds, shillings and pence!  Not to mention ounces, pounds, cwt and tons etc.  We won't talk about rods and perchs though!

Bren

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »
Re. Decimal Currency. This is supposedly a true story from Cornwall (it could only happen in Cornwall) Two old ladies were in the queue at the post office collecting their pensions on the first day of decimalisation. After getting in a right two and eight between them one said; " I think they should have waited till we died  before they changed over to this lark ". Just about says it all really. Ken C.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 12:09:01 AM »
Hi Ken My Dad worked in the Lewisham office for quite a while before it shut. To describe him, he was 5`6" slim Smartley dressed and had a tash he would of been driving a Austin 1800 grey colour reg DUC 440C. My god the little grey cells are still working!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »
Splinter, I wish I could say I remember your dad , but it just aint coming back, but you remembering the car number - well I am impressed. A few more random memories :- Does anyone remember the bookies runner who used to stand, and often run in the Capstone road area ?. A cafe I used to frequent was at Grove Park opposite the Baring pub. A penny pin ball machine was the attraction which paid out if you scored over a certain amount. The owner used to do his nut if anybody actually won, accusing us of all sorts of scullduggery. Was'nt it nice (by todays standards) to see all the shops close on Sundays. Boltons used to open on Sunday morning only, and the Tavern closed at 2.0pm, otherwise peace and quiet until Monday. ..and was'nt Thursday half closing day ? Oh to return to the sanity we had then. A final thought, can anyone remember the last film they saw at the Splendid ?. Certainly one of the last I saw was Peter Ustinov in Quo Vadis (1951,) just looked the date up in a film book. Keep 'em coming. type soon. Ken C.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »
I seem to remember going to Bromley Market i think it was on a Wednesday as Bromley was half day closing then and all the rest it was Thursday. On some Sundays i had to go to the shellfish stall for cockles Welks Mussels and of course Jellied Eels. I wonder if the Ex-Pats can still get these. I know of NZ mussels but thats all. The only place you could buy beer was at a Off licence. I was at the old Estate this week its looking well in the sun, Privets overgrown in some places. I wish i understood how the Council could afford to cut privets, collect waste every week, mow the greens, paint your door, Redec a room every few years, roadsweep and clear the snow when needed, during my early time in the 50`s, 60`s, and 70`s. When rents and rates were low. Now with all this extra money, millions of it, collecting Waste is all they do, the last roadsweeper i heard about died of boredom.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 01:34:48 AM »
Yes, I remember the bookies' runner in Capstone Rd (and Dickie has some good memories of this, don't you Dickie?).  My honorary Aunt Nell (Scanlon) used to keep a look-out for him just in case any bobbies came by. 

And yes, Thursday was half day closing and that included Catford and Lewisham whereas Bromley was half day closing on Wednesday. Didn't everything, everywhere close half day on Saturdays?

We (the family) saw Quo Vadis.  I remember how it frightened the life out of me, particularly when the girl was speared - not to mention the lions eating the Christians! 
This film actually came on TV not so very long ago and of course, it looked very amateur in comparison to the films we see nowadays.  But it made an impression and is the sort of thing that sticks in the memory, isn't it?