Author Topic: Where has everyone gone  (Read 12003 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Where has everyone gone
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »
I come back from holiday and nobody has posted anything. Has anything happened whilst i was away, like a WAR?
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where has everyone gone
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:36:31 AM »
Lot's of Wars going on around the World Splinter, trouble is it's British,Canadian,Australian and US Soldiers being killed and they are not fighting for Peace in their own country, which is maybe  where they should be to fight these people killing innocent people with human bombs.  Sorry about the ranting, we now have lovely sunshine in Canuck land, I can sit on my balcony in the warmth smoking my pipe.  8)  Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »
We are just having another pre-winter storm 100km plus winds, the rain is very welcome, its school hols here in Oz, had an interesting couple of weeks with our weather, the rain kills the bush fire worry. My Easter was quite, and had a couple of trips with our caravan, and not in radio range to get on the net.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:14:39 AM »
I come back from holiday and nobody has posted anything. Has anything happened whilst i was away, like a WAR?

Just as I came on to say, "Where has everyone gone" and you beat me to it.

Well, apart from having the side of my car crumpled by our neighbour's ute as we both rounded the same bend on our narrow road, nothing!  It had to happen. We've had so many close shaves over the years that it would have been a miracle if we hadn't had a bingle eventually. Fortunately, neither of us were haring along. No damage to his ute, just my car.   Way it goes.  At least no-one was hurt.

Glad I kept off the roads at Easter.  There was one fatality on the highway not far from here.

Hope everyone else kept safe.

Bren

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:05:32 AM »
Sorry for not participating for the past couple of months - crazy busy - but I do glance at the forum a few times a week to make sure no inappropriate content, so it's always marvelous when kind regulars keep the thing ticking over, and especially good to see some newcomers.

Splinter - I have managed to scan the photos and documents you kindly dropped through the door, so will try to get them posted on the site soon.
Mike

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 01:51:07 PM »
Cheers Mike. Hope it will be of some interest to my friends on this site.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 04:40:42 PM »
Everybodys gone again. It`s like the Mary Celeste.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 02:07:28 AM »
Everybodys gone again. It`s like the Mary Celeste.

I'm here, it's just that I don't have anything interesting to report. 
We in OZ have been watching your election with interest.  Amazing to see that a party that wins will not be in power.  I know we complain about our preferences system of voting, but it does seem better than a hung parliament.  That Clegg person seems to be enjoying the limelight.  We had that here in WA at our state election when one of the minor parties held the casting vote, the leader of that party got really 'up himself'.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:32:23 AM »
Cheers Mike. Hope it will be of some interest to my friends on this site.

Looking forward to seeing the photos, Splinter.

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:44:21 AM »

We in OZ have been watching your election with interest.  Amazing to see that a party that wins will not be in power. 

But, isn't there another way of looking at it i.e. if one party gets 49% of the votes and  another party gets 20% and the third party gets 31% (hope my arithmetic is right here!), doesn't that mean more people have voted not to have the party that got the 49%?  So, strictly speaking, less people  want to see that party in power.  If you see what I mean!

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 10:45:33 AM »

We in OZ have been watching your election with interest.  Amazing to see that a party that wins will not be in power. 

But, isn't there another way of looking at it i.e. if one party gets 49% of the votes and  another party gets 20% and the third party gets 31% (hope my arithmetic is right here!), doesn't that mean more people have voted not to have the party that got the 49%?  So, strictly speaking, less people  want to see that party in power.  If you see what I mean!

Bren

I thinhk it actually means that 20% of the people didn't want the 31% in power, and caused a problem by voting for the 20%, and causing a hung parliament.  In the UK, I think that the majority didn't want labour back, and the liberals had done a good job and converted a lot of the previous labour voters.  They should have voted for the Tories, if they didn't want Labour.

BTW Mike, why do my comments keep disappearing as I type?
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 04:06:19 PM »
Pauline your coments are comming over as a quote. OK hear i go. There are Approx 40 Million people allowed to vote for many parties. If one gets in most people did not vote for them but A majority did. ( you cant please all of the people all of the time) Nobody in the last 70 years has more than 50% Of the vote so all parties are running this place on a voting minority, my attitude is that if you win you win and a small party should not be able to hold the country to ransom to help other monority parties hold power, this is a week goverment which will cause another election in less than a year and all efforts to get the country back on its feet will go to the wall. So all of you in Oz move over i might be coming!!!!

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 10:15:38 PM »
My God as i was writing the last bit Gorden Brown must of been on this site could not stand losing me to Oz and promptly Retired. Well thats politics for you.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 11:10:22 PM »

Bren

I thinhk it actually means that 20% of the people didn't want the 31% in power, and caused a problem by voting for the 20%, and causing a hung parliament.  In the UK, I think that the majority didn't want labour back, and the liberals had done a good job and converted a lot of the previous labour voters.  They should have voted for the Tories, if they didn't want Labour.

BTW Mike, why do my comments keep disappearing as I type?

Yep  - all different ways of looking at the same thing.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 10:39:19 PM »
I see everybodies gone again. It`s got to be the football. Or has WW3 started, i go away working for a few days and alls gone quite. Hope you are all OK ????