Author Topic: Different types of houses on the estate  (Read 4444 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Different types of houses on the estate
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
I was wondering how many different styles of houses their are on the estate. I was supprised that less than 25% were 3 Bed and as families were a lot larger then  it must of been a squeeze. My house is 3 Bed front door at the front end of terrace stairs tothe right as you walk in down the hallway living room to the left and kitchen to the left, toilet and bathroom straight on. Under the stairs is a small cloakroom( it was the coal celler). Upstairs the large bedroom was at the front and the other two at the back. Can any of you remember your old houses and were their any 4 Bed houses on the estate, i don`t know of any.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Different types of houses on the estate
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »
84 Keedonwood Rd,was only a 2 bed house, us boys had the big room and the two girls the small box type room , mum and dad's bed room was the down stairs front room. It was a bit swishy, mind you we did have a side entrance but had to use next doors gate, it did cause a few problems. My bed room had a large cupboard into the roof at the back with a window over the cupboard doors built into the roof,it was a good place to hide things. The kitchen had a copper which hot water was pumped up to the bath room using a hand pump cannot remember how the water was heated, some thing tells me it was a wood fire. When first moved in around the late 40s the house had only gas, but did not seem long and we had electric power. We did have a coal celler under the stairs and a air raid shelter out back.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:33:44 PM by Frank (hutchsky) »
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »
I forgot (sorry) I am told that if you dig down enough i will find parts of an anderson shelter in the back garden. I must admit i have no wish to dig that far. The back does start to play up a bit now.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:14:34 AM »
Our house in Durham Hill was two bedroomed.  Large one at the front and a smaller one at the back. That's the one I shared with my sister: just enough room for two single beds, a dressing table and small wardrobe.  The front one had a fixed cupboard which Mum used as a laundry cupboard and also housed my play crockery set and dolls.   That bedroom also had an open fire (never used), and the back bedroom had a gasfire (also never used).  I'm sure it was the same for most of you: one fire was lit when necessary and never allowed to remain alight when nobody was in. 

Downstairs was the 'front' room and at the back was the kitchen which had a larder.  I, too, remember the copper and the pump.  What a job it was to get that pump going to push the water upstairs. For a long time, we used a small galvanised bath in the lounge because the pump didn't work.  It was heated by gas.  We were all very pleased when we were able to get a gas water-heater.

When we moved into the house in 1948, there was still a cast-iron coal fire in the front room.  Good for roasting chestnuts as I recall.  The coal cellar eventually became the repository for the carpet sweeper (later replaced by a vacuum cleaner - thank goodness) and the old kitchen copper lived there forever more.

I hated the gaslighting which cast an eerie shadow over everything and, being a scaredy-cat, when I wanted to go upstairs to the lavvy, I had to ask someone to come with me.   I was very pleased when the electric came and all I had to do was flick the switch!

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 05:35:05 AM »
Our first house in Geraint Road, was really weird.  You went into a passage under the stairs, then into the front room.  The kitchen was on the left, and behind that the bathroom.  There was a 'coal hole' in the kitchen.  To get upstairs you had to go through the front room, and there was a door at the side of the house that led upstairs,  The toilet was upstairs, and two bedrooms.

The seond house was a 'parlour' type with a long narrow kitchen at the end of the hall, two rooms divided by double doors, which my Dad took out.  Bathroom and toilet upstairs and two bedrooms.

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:32:29 PM »
I still dont understand that if families were bigger then how you all fitted into a 2 bed house?

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 06:54:53 PM »
Our house in Durham Hill was two bedroomed------/Quoteing Brenda.
Your House sounds exactly like ours on Churchdown. The old fire place had ledges each side we used to put the chestnuts there to roast, and of course we had a long metal fork and made toast from the fire. when we got gas our coal cellar turned into a closet for brooms, I remember the coalman coming through the house filthy black with the big black bag of coal and heaving it into the cellar.  The upstairs & downstairs front rooms had the fire place in the corner, Downstairs they where in the centre of the wall. When I left in 1974 the old gas pipe connection was still in the back room in the middle of the ceiling right next to where the electric light was later placed. So many memory's.   Smiffy.   :) 
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:08:43 PM »
It's interesting to find out the number of different house designs there were.  Pauline, the house in Geraint Rd is the same as was my friend's in Pendragon Rd.  The kitchen would have been only about half the size of ours in Durham Hill.  The Geraint house was a very unusual design indeed!

I think people who had more than two children eventually tried to move to a 3 bedroomed house, same as if they had children of different sexes.  Otherwise, I suppose people had to make do and they were all good at that, weren't they?

I have often wondered why the architects of the estate and/or the LCC decided to put up a few blocks of flats rather than stick to all houses.  They were dotted around in a seemingly random way but maybe there were reasons.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 06:21:05 AM »
I still dont understand that if families were bigger then how you all fitted into a 2 bed house?

My friend lived in Gareth Grove, and she and her brother shared the front bedroom, but her dad had divided it so that the wall ran from the middle of the window, and there was a door the other end.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.