Author Topic: Christmas down under  (Read 6839 times)

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Christmas down under
« on: December 20, 2003, 11:14:38 AM »
We're taking a family holiday to New Zealand and Australia over Christmas and New Year, so all you ex-Downhamites downunder, we're coming to see how you could have abandoned the delights of sarf London for something supposedly better and brighter...

For any local burglars reading this, please be advised that we have family and friends staying in our house while we're away, so don't even think about it!

Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas, and all the best for 2004
Mike

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
Christmas down under
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 11:41:04 AM »

G'day Mike,
Hope you and the family have a great time out here, don't forget to have your gravity boots on as you know we are upsidedown here.
Keith ( K9 )
My name is Keith Allen but I use ( K9 ) as my nick name.
Regards Keith.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Christmas down under
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »
Quote from: mike
We're taking a family holiday to New Zealand and Australia over Christmas and New Year, so all you ex-Downhamites downunder, we're coming to see how you could have abandoned the delights of sarf London for something supposedly better and brighter...
For any local burglars reading this, please be advised that we have family and friends staying in our house while we're away, so don't even think about it!Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas, and all the best for 2004
Mike
      I am absolutely green with envy but have a great holiday. enjoy an antipodean welcome and have a couple of Schooners on me. You might even get to Keith before all his 'skey evaporates I'll just make do with my Xmas pud.      Bye Dickie...........
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 10:54:01 PM »
Quote from: mike
We're taking a family holiday to New Zealand and Australia over Christmas and New Year,

Mike, let me know if you spend any time in Melbourne or Ballarat.  Melbourne is only about 250kms from me, Ballarat a mere 80kms.  You might be able to spare 5 mins in what is probably a very busy schedule.
By the way, have I missed the contributions details?
Brenda

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003, 12:30:47 AM »
Melbourne is only about 250kms from me, Ballarat a mere 80kms.  
Brenda[/quote]     Bren do you know you are only 56 miles from where my grandfathers brother is buried in Ballarat. His name was Henry (Harry) Linihan,my uncle went out to join him and in the 14/18 war was an Anzac. Dickie................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 12:30:20 PM »
Bren do you know you are only 56 miles from where my grandfathers brother is buried in Ballarat. His name was Henry (Harry) Linihan,my uncle went out to join him and in the 14/18 war was an Anzac. Dickie................[/quote]

Dickie, is he buried in the Old Ballarat Cemetery?  I have often promised myself a visit there.  Do you want me to try and find out more about his grave or pay a visit?
Brenda

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 12:32:43 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
Bren do you know you are only 56 miles from where my grandfathers brother is buried in Ballarat. His name was Henry (Harry) Linihan,my uncle went out to join him and in the 14/18 war was an Anzac. Dickie................

Dickie, is he buried in the Old Ballarat Cemetery?  I have often promised myself a visit there.  Do you want me to try and find out more about his grave or pay a visit?  If so, give me more details.
And thank you for the Xmas card and lovely photo of yourself and Dorothy.  You both seemed to have found the Elixir of  Youth.  Shouldn't you share it with me?
Brenda[/quote]

Dickie Eagle

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 10:30:24 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
Bren do you know you are only 56 miles from where my grandfathers brother is buried in Ballarat. His name was Henry (Harry) Linihan, Dickie................

Dickie, is he buried in the Old Ballarat Cemetery?  I have often promised myself a visit there.  Do you want me to try and find out more about his grave or pay a visit?
Brenda[/quote]   That would be nice Brenda , The old fellow originated in Bermondsey, in the Old Kent road.probably the old cemetery. Hope you are now recovered from the Cristmas, Birthday, New Year celebs Pet, Work still goes on with livestock doesn't it !. Happy New Year       Dickie.................

Graham

• View Profile
    • Email
LINEHAN. (Surname) ....AUSTRALIA
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 06:17:33 PM »
Dickie,

One of my interests is Genealogy....I pass on this info. which you may or may not know?

James Henderson Linehan. Born 1910.. Died 1986 is buried in Terang Cemetry. He was husband of Marie and father of Michael and Damian.

The surname spelling is not the same but these errors happen when entered by the recorder.

I wonder if he is a relative of yours?

Regards...   Graham Allen.
Graham A

Dickie Eagle

Re: LINEHAN. (Surname) ....AUSTRALIA
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2004, 08:49:21 PM »
Quote from: Graham
Dickie,
One of my interests is Genealogy....I pass on this info. which you may or may not know?
James Henderson Linehan. Born 1910.. Died 1986 is buried in Terang Cemetry. He was husband of Marie and father of Michael and Damian.
The surname spelling is not the same but these errors happen when entered by the recorder.
I wonder if he is a relative of yours?
Regards...   Graham Allen.
 Thanks Graham, but most of the Linihans are researched, back to a Daniel in 1680's, and there are one or two deviations, mostly emigrants and officials mis-spelling the name . but no  James Henderson (as yet !) We did have a friend whose Father,after the war came here and because he had no English ,told the authorities " Ich Polack"  (I am Polish ) he was registered as Ike Pollock so these mistakes do happen. Thanks again  Dickie.............