Author Topic: Bombing of Downham  (Read 7854 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Bombing of Downham
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:43:26 AM »
Hi all, Just back from my Hols in Wet Cornwall. Does anybody Know if there is a list of all the Bombs that fell on the estate including UXBs
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Bombing of Downham
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 04:49:49 AM »
Hi all, Just back from my Hols in Wet Cornwall. Does anybody Know if there is a list of all the Bombs that fell on the estate including UXBs

The Sandhurst Road School bombing is described at:

http://www.bromleytimes.co.uk/content/kent/columnists/story.aspx?brand=GVSROnline&category=colbobogley&tBrand=gvsronline&tCategory=columnists&itemid=WeED10%20Oct%202008%2014%3A10%3A24%3A483

Downhamoriginals have some information as well.

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:02:27 PM »
Thank you Pauline that was very interesting reading
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 11:20:34 PM »
Thanks Pauline, that's where I got the Biddle names from. 

Bren

Robert

• View Profile
Re: Bombing of Sandhurst School
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:33:01 PM »
This may interest some readers about the Sandhurst Rd school attack. As the planes flew over our roof top we all dived under the Morrison shelter a sort of reinforced table. On my return visit to Downham a few weeks back I went over the Verdant Lane cemetery to visit family graves, then took a look at the school grave. The was a workman nearby and we got talking, he told me that flowers are still put there the last ones a couple of weeks before were from N.Z  He asked if I wanted to see a memorial plaque, So we went into a small church in the graveyard. And on the wall was a lovely large carved plaque. I can't recall the exact words but it went. "From the children of Mexico City we have heard about the tragedy of your school in London and you are in our hearts and we send our love to you all." I think Mexico was nutral in the 39-45 war.? The guy told me it came over by USA Sub. And hung outside the church for years, but due to vandals is now kept inside. Anyway I found it very moving. The wording is much longer and better than I have quoted here. I'd like to know the full story of how Mexico ever heard about poor old S/E London of those days.? But well worth a look.
Regards to all Bob.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 01:17:49 AM »
Oh, that is very moving indeed, Bob.  Yes, it would be nice to know how the news of the tragedy travelled to Mexico and if any of the children involved in the gesture think of it still.

I can't believe I never knew about that special part of the cemetery etc. and therefore never went when I lived on Downham.  I sometimes think I must have walked around with my eyes and ears closed.

Bren

derrick Durrantgoudhurst1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 02:09:53 AM »
I read with interest, the comments regarding the memorial for the children at the Hither Green cemetery.My parents are in the cemetery and during a visit to the UK some years ago, I noticed the childrens  grave site seemed very dilapidated,this may not be the case now.I was completely unaware of the plaque from Mexico,what a wonderful thing and completely unexpected.It occurs to me that many of the contributors to this site,are of the generation that lived as children during that period on the estate, and if we could in some way make a commemoration of  our own. It would require someone living on the estate to organise.I would be happy to donate towards the cost as I am sure their would be others. Derek Durrant.South Australia.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 12:53:21 AM »
Perhaps the best memorial is what Downhamonline contributors are already doing i.e. telling their stories.

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 11:55:57 PM »
Oh, that is very moving indeed, Bob.  Yes, it would be nice to know how the news of the tragedy travelled to Mexico and if any of the children involved in the gesture think of it still.Bren/quote]
Added by dickie, I understand why this bombing is seen as a Luftwaffe atrocity, but that school was also used as an NFS & AFS Fire Station with FIRE tenders parked in the school playground and was therefore a legitemate target. What sort of idiot allowed children to be educated in those premises?
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 11:48:52 PM »
That certainly puts a different complexion on it, Dickie.  Even so, would not the pilot - flying so low his face was seen - have seen the children there?

Bren

Anthony

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Thank you Pauline that was very interesting reading
Yes thank you Pauline for pointing this out to us.

My mother is buried in Hither green cemetery,On my next visit i will pay my respects to all who died at Sandhurst school.The read brought tears to my eyes

We owe it all to those who served and fought for the right to be where we are now the young and the not so young

I thank you one and all
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:55:23 PM by Anthony »

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »
I have got to find it. But last week i was watching a old newsreel about the bombing of the school it might of been on You Tube!!! i will find it and report back.

Anthony

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 08:42:39 AM »
I have got to find it. But last week i was watching a old newsreel about the bombing of the school it might of been on You Tube!!! i will find it and report back.
I found information @http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1211133/Survivors-remember-day-Luftwaffe-massacred-38-pupils-London-school.htm

There is also a couple of good reads on this story on the newshopper web site.

Go to newshopper home page and type in sandhusrt school bombing

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:50:12 AM by Anthony »

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 01:12:52 AM »
I Found it. The film is on Youtube. Put in Sandhurst School and the old B/W film of the bombing comes up and a interview with a RAF pilot. Interesting but sad.