Author Topic: WHERE DID WE COME FROM ?  (Read 11717 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
WHERE DID WE COME FROM ?
« on: May 07, 2009, 11:34:23 PM »
I thought i would start another new subject, reading about all of your lives before Downham,during and after, i thought it would be nice to know where we all came from, many years before that. My Great Grandad come from County Cork, he came to London and ran a sweet shop in Southwark Park Road and my Grandad grew up there. My Nan came from Acton and was in service to a family who lived in a large house near to St Georges Circus. When Nan and Grandad met he worked in a tannery near to Tower Bridge, they were married and moved to King and Queen Street just off East Lane ( Market). Many years later they moved to Bellingham where my mum was born. The road backed onto the railway and nearly opposite them was a family called the Coopers. Mum was a friend of the older boy and he had two younger twin brothers one called Henry (Iv`e been told they were not bad at Boxing). Then in 1935 they moved to Downham as it was a 3 Bed and needed the room. The otherside of my family originally came from Devon, but my Grandad was born in Salisbury Wilts where he met my Nan and my Father was also born there. During the war my dad was posted to the USA. He was first married there to an American girl, but when he was demobbed and they came over to England she didn`t like it here and after a few years she went back. Nan and Grandad moved from Salisbury to Minard Road Catford just after the war because of work and Dad moved in with them. In 1952 Mum and Dad met in the Black Horse Pub Lewisham got married a year later and because my Uncles had move on he moved into Pendragon Road and i came along a year later. So i think you can see if any one of those things didn`t happen i would never of lived on the Estate. Isn`t life strange.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: WHERE DID WE COME FROM ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:52:38 AM »
I thought i would start another new subject, reading about all of your lives before Downham,during and after, i thought it would be nice to know where we all came from, many years before that. My Great Grandad come from County Cork, he came to London and ran a sweet shop in Southwark Park Road and my Grandad grew up there. My Nan came from Acton and was in service to a family who lived in a large house near to St Georges Circus. When Nan and Grandad met he worked in a tannery near to Tower Bridge, they were married and moved to King and Queen Street just off East Lane ( Market). Many years later they moved to Bellingham where my mum was born. The road backed onto the railway and nearly opposite them was a family called the Coopers. Mum was a friend of the older boy and he had two younger twin brothers one called Henry (Iv`e been told they were not bad at Boxing). Then in 1935 they moved to Downham as it was a 3 Bed and needed the room. The otherside of my family originally came from Devon, but my Grandad was born in Salisbury Wilts where he met my Nan and my Father was also born there. During the war my dad was posted to the USA. He was first married there to an American girl, but when he was demobbed and they came over to England she didn`t like it here and after a few years she went back. Nan and Grandad moved from Salisbury to Minard Road Catford just after the war because of work and Dad moved in with them. In 1952 Mum and Dad met in the Black Horse Pub Lewisham got married a year later and because my Uncles had move on he moved into Pendragon Road and i came along a year later. So i think you can see if any one of those things didn`t happen i would never of lived on the Estate. Isn`t life strange.

My Mums side of the family came from Silvertown/East Ham and had lived there for ages.  Dad's side came from East London on his Dads side, and Germany (traced back to 1695 in Bavaria) on his mothers side. I am at present researching our family tree, but it gets difficult without birth certificates to find out mothers maiden names, they are not shown on registry entries before 1940. Its doesn't help when my grans maiden name was Smith! I have subscribed to Ancestry and Genes reunited, and that has been a great help.
Gran lived just off East Lane.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:54:04 AM »
What a good idea Splinter - only thing is I forgot to delve into my family background before the parents died and could give info. Funnily enough I was chatting to someone on Monday in a village close by to where we live (happened to be in the old churchyard - well you would be on a Bank Holiday Monday wouldn't you!) who had traced his family back to the 1700's and gave me the website: freebdm which, in effect, just passes you onto Ancestry etc. etc. I have to say I tried it and lo and behold at last tracked my father's birth down on that site but then had to go onto Ancestry.co.uk who wanted me to 'join up'. Unfortunately dad died back in the late fifties. I believe he was the youngest of 9 surviving children - his own father dying in 1904 when Dad was just six months old.  Dad was born in Camberwell and I know he and mum were married in Peckham in 1932 - they ran a drinking club somewhere near Fleet Street for a while until my brother was born in 1937.  I have no idea why we came to Downham except that I know they were evacuated to Reading during WW2 and came back to the new house circa 1947. I have inherited lots of old family photos that were taken during the twenties and thirties of people who could be related but unfortunately nobody to tell me who they are.  My mother often told me about an uncle who had invented table football but didn't patent it (?) and another relative who invented the jet engine - now I wish I had listened properly all those years ago so that I could now have investigated all those claims.  I love watching 'Who do you think you are" - some of the stories are amazing but then, of course, they have researchers doing all the leg work.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 10:50:41 PM »
Very interesting Christine, the person who is supposed to of invented the jet engine was "Whittle" he came from a place just north of Rugby. I don`t know if that helps your research. But there was another chap from the Swindon area who first thought about a Ram Jet engine, he worked for the GWR in the 1920`s, it was only on paper and he died before a working model was made.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 03:13:26 AM »
What a good idea Splinter - only thing is I forgot to delve into my family background before the parents died and could give info. Funnily enough I was chatting to someone on Monday in a village close by to where we live (happened to be in the old churchyard - well you would be on a Bank Holiday Monday wouldn't you!) who had traced his family back to the 1700's and gave me the website: freebdm which, in effect, just passes you onto Ancestry etc. etc. I have to say I tried it and lo and behold at last tracked my father's birth down on that site but then had to go onto Ancestry.co.uk who wanted me to 'join up'. Unfortunately dad died back in the late fifties. I believe he was the youngest of 9 surviving children - his own father dying in 1904 when Dad was just six months old.  Dad was born in Camberwell and I know he and mum were married in Peckham in 1932 - they ran a drinking club somewhere near Fleet Street for a while until my brother was born in 1937.  I have no idea why we came to Downham except that I know they were evacuated to Reading during WW2 and came back to the new house circa 1947. I have inherited lots of old family photos that were taken during the twenties and thirties of people who could be related but unfortunately nobody to tell me who they are.  My mother often told me about an uncle who had invented table football but didn't patent it (?) and another relative who invented the jet engine - now I wish I had listened properly all those years ago so that I could now have investigated all those claims.  I love watching 'Who do you think you are" - some of the stories are amazing but then, of course, they have researchers doing all the leg work.

Hi Christine

I joined up to Ancestry - if you give me some details I will see what I can find out for you.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 07:53:40 AM »
Like Christine's father, mine died prematurely and before I was interested enough to ask the questions. I was lucky enough, though, to find some older cousins in 2002 and found out a great deal more about his side of the family.   I have also been lucky enough to make contact with two people researching his side of the family and, as you know, more information leads to more information.  So: here's a quick run down.

Ooops, hubby wants the computer. Will continue later.

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »
Very interesting Christine, the person who is supposed to of invented the jet engine was "Whittle" he came from a place just north of Rugby. I don`t know if that helps your research. But there was another chap from the Swindon area who first thought about a Ram Jet engine, he worked for the GWR in the 1920`s, it was only on paper and he died before a working model was made.
Splinter - that's correct - Whittle was the name mentioned in my childhood - but that was about it! 
Pauline - thanks, that's really good of you.  The only thing I can say is that my father's full name was Sidney George Walter (just shown as W on the web) Bourne, he was born on 13th October 1904 and registered in the Southwark area.  I have no idea about his parents and of course as he was the youngest (and the first to die) in his family the only cousins I knew were all the same age as my mum and dad! Unfortunately we seemed to have been abandoned by his family and I neither saw or heard from them from that day on - and they say families were close in those days! Anyway Pauline if you have any success then would love to hear - I just need a link to get started. Either email me on the private messages or I really don't mind my friends on the Downham site seeing if you have any success.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 10:52:08 AM »
Chris, isn't it amazing. Just like you, we didn't see any of my father's side after the funeral.  No, that's not true. In the early days after Dad died, Mum decided to call in on his eldest brother and wife who were living in Eltham.  We girls went with her and I have to say they seemed quite pleased to see us. But they never returned the visit and we never heard from them again. 

Anyway, back to the origins.
Father's side

McKennedy from Co. Cork (perhaps we are related, Splinter) 1670.
Hand from London (but don't know the origins)- haven't got very far back but recent research shows my great grandfather James Hand died in prison in 1874.  This has yet to be confirmed but it looks as if it could well be him.
The families were living variously in Spitalfields, Holborn, Southwark, Bermondsey
Biddle. 1649 origins in Warwickshire.  Some came down to London and did very well for themselves apparently with properties in the Regents Park area etc.  Not us, obviously!
Sterry.  Haven't found out a great deal about the Sterrys yet but family lore has it my great grandmother Caroline Biddle nee Sterry kept a milking cow near London Bridge.
Any McKennedys, Biddles, Sterrys or Hands out there?

Mother side:
Not gone very far back here. Names are:
Wiles and Mann, both from the Milton/Sittingbourne, Kent area.  Later moved up to
Edmonton,London and then to Lambeth where most of the 11 children were born and brought up.  Can't remember the other names I've got.

I must say that I was astonished to find an Irish connection. I had always presumed Dad's family were Londoners since the city began!  I had no idea at all. Do wonder if Granny's family had a German connection considering the Mann name and the area they came from.  Weren't there some Germanic tribes that invaded Kent or have I got my history wrong?   

I expect, like my family, there are all sorts of other nationalities that make up the mix now. We've got, obviously, Australians plus New Zealanders, Americans, South Africans, Slavic, Spanish, Maltese, Canadians, and...um...forgotten.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »
My family names are Carroll (Irish side), Shirley(Acton), Elliott (Devon/Cornwall) and Folland (Devon/Wiltshire). I`m pleased i was`t born a girl or my name would of been Shirley Carol.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 10:22:45 AM »
I forgot: Driscoll (unsure of nation of origin, may have been Irish) and Williams (Wales).  I haven't found a Scot yet. 

I don't know how the rest of you find it, but I find the constant repetitions of names utterly confusing.   What confuses Family Tree Maker further is that I have a Caroline Hand who married Henry Biddle, and Rosina Biddle who married George Hand.  In other words, a brother and sister married sister and brother. To further confuse: the first offspring of each couple, Caroline and George, married each other. My head goes round in circles sometimes.

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »
Bren - you have been working hard on the family ancestry!  Reminded me that I managed to get a lot of info about Stuart's family (both sides) through the 1881 census largely because his Mum and Dad are still alive (both nearly 90) and she knew something of their ancestry.  Interestingly her maternal great great grandfather was mentioned on the 1881 census as being 21 and as we knew he had been a master mariner on a tea clipper it was not a great surprise that he was on board ship at that time and his street address was "Victor". The census listed everybody serving with him. Stuart's Dad's family came from the Sittingbourne area and in 1881 had a 93 acre farm - now I wonder where that went..... 

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 11:40:43 PM »
When i started this topic i didn`t realise how interesting it would be, hope that you are enjoying it. It keeps the little grey cells working.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 02:24:45 AM »
Splinter - that's correct - Whittle was the name mentioned in my childhood - but that was about it! 
Pauline - thanks, that's really good of you.  The only thing I can say is that my father's full name was Sidney George Walter (just shown as W on the web) Bourne, he was born on 13th October 1904 and registered in the Southwark area.  I have no idea about his parents and of course as he was the youngest (and the first to die) in his family the only cousins I knew were all the same age as my mum and dad! Unfortunately we seemed to have been abandoned by his family and I neither saw or heard from them from that day on - and they say families were close in those days! Anyway Pauline if you have any success then would love to hear - I just need a link to get started. Either email me on the private messages or I really don't mind my friends on the Downham site seeing if you have any success.

Here we have the same problem that I am experiencing.  Waiting for the 1911 census to be released so that I can find my parents listed.  They were born in 1903 qnd 1906 so they are not on the previous census, and although I can find entries in the registry, the mothers name was not included until much later. I understand that the 1911 census is available, but it means paying for what 'might' be the correct listing.  I am hoping that Ancestry will have access soon.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 07:43:47 AM »
Bren - you have been working hard on the family ancestry! 

Not me Chris. I've been very fortunate in that two other people have been working hard on the genealogy for some years. One is a descendant of my great-grandmother's sister (Elizabeth McKennedy) and the other is a lady researching for another descendant of Mary Ann McKennedy i.e. my line.  They have been kind enough to share their findings with me and I've, obviously, given them whatever documentation, photos etc I have.  I am always very interested in family anecdotes that are passed down although we all know that these can be altered with the passage of time and can't be considered 100% reliable.

Lovely that Stuart still has his parents. Well, I hope it is lovely!  And given their great age, it's very important to get all their family knowledge down, isn't it?

Bren

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »
All I have is my mothers side of the family with grandparents, Collinson/Awcock then Spriggs then disappears on the grand fathers side. Then Usher, Hunt, which go back to 1807. My mother would be doing her nut, because she would not tell us about their past, and told us in many words not to explore our past. Well she did say we came from an up market family, but it shows they were all just general workers. My Fathers side is a bit of a mystery with Scottish ties "Hutchison"
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960