Author Topic: Where you used to live  (Read 18783 times)

christine

• View Profile
Re: Where you used to live
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 04:23:36 PM »
Christine is that 50 Woodbank or Shaw Road`s
Hi Splinter - 50 stood on the corner of Woodbank and Shaw Road but the postal address was 50 Woodbank Road

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 05:20:24 PM »
Is that the house on its own.  Front door in Shaw but house Number in Woodbank,  Opposite the Green(bet you enjoyed the fireworks or was that before your time). I know the House looks Big but a small Back garden .
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »
Is that the house on its own.  Front door in Shaw but house Number in Woodbank,  Opposite the Green(bet you enjoyed the fireworks or was that before your time). I know the House looks Big but a small Back garden .
That sounds like it although it was joined onto a terrace house in Woodbank Road.  No fireworks on the green in my day I am afraid.  I suppose it was quite big AND it had an inside loo and bathroom - unlike the house we had moved from where the bath hung on the back wall until required! Remember it had a living room to one side of hallway, kitchen and bathroom the other and three bedrooms - two doubles and 1 small - guess who had the smallest!  The garden at the front was very big - went round the whole frontage and, yes, the back was quite small although the end was taken over by chickens and accompanying chicken house for a long time.  Happy days though...

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 07:03:04 AM »
I am going to Downham later today and will be taking these photo`s as promised. Lets hope for good weather !!!!
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 11:59:35 PM »
Hello all. Well the weather in downham was lovely. still a little chilly but great sunshine this morning 30/03/09. took some photo`s. i am going back this weekend to finish off. then all i have to do is somehow get them on this site .This is where Mike could help me. Has anybody had any contact with him. He`s gone off the RADAR.

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 10:37:55 AM »
Just browsing through a load of old posts on here and read about Brenda roller skating between the Durham Hill fields, bought memories flooding back of when I used to have the one old metal roller skate and put a book on it and whiz down that hill from top to bottom, think I must have had to get very low to go under the dividing barriers that were down there. We used to take an old milk crate over to the "hump" as well in the second field furthest from Shroffold when the snow was on it and use it as a sledge.  Great fun.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 01:49:48 PM »
Just browsing through a load of old posts on here and read about Brenda roller skating between the Durham Hill fields, bought memories flooding back of when I used to have the one old metal roller skate and put a book on it and whiz down that hill from top to bottom, think I must have had to get very low to go under the dividing barriers that were down there.

Maureen - seems to me you invented the skateboard!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »
Hello Maureen, I see  you came from Shroffold i had some friends who lived in that road where abouts were you as its a long old road. Your message about Arrowroot biscuits took me back. Iremember IN THE DAYS BEFORE CHIDREN WERE ALLOWED IN PUBS. I stood outside the Northover Pub with a bottle of Lemonade and a biscuit, you needed the drink with one of them , dry your mouth out. The stamp on your hand at Peter Pans Playground, tried not to wash it off to get in next day, cant rememer how much it was to get in. The Green Man Pub , well if you didn`t know, it`s gone to the great brewery in the sky.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:57:37 PM by Splinter »

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
John, I thought to get in was free but all the mechanical machines were penny to play and my favourite you got three balls to play and it was easy-peasy to drop the ball into the penny win cup. the whole shebang belonged to Great Ormond St., children's hospital as a gift by Barrie the author of Peter Pan,hence the name. It was eventually sod to a gardening outlet including "Slade's Island"  in the middle of the pool. Slade was a rebel who was hiding from the law. Bren, I will send you a copy  ok ?       dickie.................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 11:52:02 PM »
Thank you Dickie dear.   

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 02:26:42 AM »
the whole shebang belonged to Great Ormond St., children's hospital as a gift by Barrie the author of Peter Pan,hence the name. It was eventually sod to a gardening outlet including "Slade's Island"  in the middle of the pool. Slade was a rebel who was hiding from the law. Bren, I will send you a copy  ok ?       dickie.................

I never knew any of this.  I do remember it wasn't that expensive to go on the rides and the boats.  I do recall the Man shouting "Come in Number 7 your times up", and trying to hide behind the island so that he wouldn't see you.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 02:29:45 AM »
the whole shebang belonged to Great Ormond St., children's hospital as a gift by Barrie the author of Peter Pan,hence the name. It was eventually sod to a gardening outlet including "Slade's Island"  in the middle of the pool. Slade was a rebel who was hiding from the law. Bren, I will send you a copy  ok ?       dickie.................

I never knew any of this.  I do remember it wasn't that expensive to go on the rides and the boats.  I do recall the Man shouting "Come in Number 7 your times up", and trying to hide behind the island so that he wouldn't see you.

Found some photos on the web
http://www.frithphotos.com/catford/photos/peter-pan's-pool-c1960_c520011/

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 11:13:35 AM »
Hiya Splinter, we lived at 98 Shroffold from about 1953 and I moved away when I got married in 1968. You'll have to let me know who you remember in that road. I have two younger brothers Michael and Graham (Pick), G went to Mallory and M went to Downham Boys.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 01:33:35 AM »
Hi Splinter    Would you do me a favour, the next time you are at the intersection of Shroffold & Churchdown going to downhamway would you check the right hand side at the construction. I was on google streetview and it looks like thy have or are going to knock down my old Infants & Junior school "Downderry". My house on Churchdown backed on to the infants playground right where the boys & girls outside toilets where. O'h the good old days " Freezing Bums". ;) :)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 04:45:27 PM »
Don`t panic, your schools not been Knocked down, they have extended the school and it now has a small swimming pool. This is via the schools website but i will check on it when i go that way on Sunday and will report back to you.