Author Topic: Where you used to live  (Read 18785 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Where you used to live
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »
Being new to this site i dont know if its been done before. But for all of you if you tell me where you lived on the estate i will take photos  and put on the site. Hope you are interested in that idea . Then if you have some old Photos of your house Put them on the site and we can match them up.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Where you used to live
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:10:22 PM »
Hallo Splinter,

I will take you up on this offer.  I lived in Durham Hill although the block of houses I was in has now been demolished.  However, I would love to have a photo taken from the Northover end looking up (how many times did I charge up that hill to home) and from the Capstone Rd end looking down.  It would do this old heart good.  There are a few other views I would love but let me know first if you want to limited your work!  Thank you so very much.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:33:38 PM »
Brenda i will try to do that ASAP for you Was your house by the School?
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:40:51 AM »
It was right opposite the school, Splinter, a little way up from the junction of Durham Hill and Woodbank Rd.

Even when we moved there in 1948, the walls were cracked and there had been talk of moving us to another house.  But that didn't happen.  In the years after my family left there c1970, the subsidence obviously got worse and eventually the block was demolished. I was very sad about that because that place will always be 'home' to me and I suppose I always thought I might see it again.  Sigh; sigh.

Anyway, thanks a lot.  Much appreciated. It's the sort of thing I've always been reluctant to ask people to do because it is time consuming etc. so the offer is most welcome.
Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 04:21:22 AM »
Being new to this site i dont know if its been done before. But for all of you if you tell me where you lived on the estate i will take photos  and put on the site. Hope you are interested in that idea . Then if you have some old Photos of your house Put them on the site and we can match them up.

I started life in a drawer at 16 Geraint Road .
Later moved to 52 Geraint Road.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:36:47 AM »
Pauline did the drawer move to 52 as well But i will take Photos of both for you.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »
Ok ive done a list of photos to take and are as follows Durham Hill Up & Down and opposite old school, Churchdown Road and School. Geraint road 16&52. Pendragon Road/Ballamore road Schools.Mallory/ Lancelot Schools Rangefield road school. Tristam Road. 84 Keedonwood Road. Doctors Surguries Railway Footbridge. Old Northover Pub and shops . Dagonet Gdns. The Green. Corner of Shaw/Woodbank . Woodland Walk.Ive got these from previous posts if you want anything else let me Know i will pick a nice day to do them. Then someone will have to explain the best way to put on site.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »
Splinter - what a good idea.  Just catching up after being away for a few days.  I lived on the corner of Woodbank and Shaw - corner house at the end of a row of 'new' houses in Woodbank (well they were in the late forties), built to replace a row of about five house that had apparently been doodlebugged during the war. Interesting to see whether you have captured my old house or the one on the other corner which was an original Downham house.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:02:33 AM »
Christine give me the address and i will take a photo of it for you. All i have done is read all of your previous mailings and wrote down Places you have all mentioned. I will take photos over a small time frame which gives everybody a chance to add places they would like to see. If its not on the estate but somewhere else that i might pass in the near future dont worry just let me know and i will do my best.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 12:08:59 AM »
Pauline did the drawer move to 52 as well But i will take Photos of both for you.

Maybe you are too young to appreciate the significance of the drawer!
During the war there wasn't a lot of cots about, or the money to buy those that were, so I started life tucked up nicely in a drawer out of her tallboy.  Mum assures me that she never closed it!
But yes the drawer moved too, until Mum replace her tallboy - which looking back is a shame.
There must be heaps of things we have thrown out that maybe if we had kept them could be sold and the profits 'keep' us in our old age.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 12:13:50 AM »
If i had kept every thing i ever owned i would need a castle not a house.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 08:41:17 AM »
Lovely Splinter. We'll all enjoy each and every one of them.  Another one for the list, purrlease.  A view from Moorside Road looking down the path that bisects the Hill (Downham Fields).  I used to roller skate down there and thought I was very daring.
You're a brick.

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 06:41:56 PM »
Christine give me the address and i will take a photo of it for you. All i have done is read all of your previous mailings and wrote down Places you have all mentioned. I will take photos over a small time frame which gives everybody a chance to add places they would like to see. If its not on the estate but somewhere else that i might pass in the near future dont worry just let me know and i will do my best.
Splinter - thanks.  For a moment couldn't remember the number then suddenly came to me that I had a photo of my mum and brother standing outside the front door amongst a pile of old photos that I acquired after my mum died - it was No. 50!

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »

Maybe you are too young to appreciate the significance of the drawer!
During the war there wasn't a lot of cots about, or the money to buy those that were, so I started life tucked up nicely in a drawer out of her tallboy.  Mum assures me that she never closed it!
But yes the drawer moved too, until Mum replace her tallboy - which looking back is a shame.
There must be heaps of things we have thrown out that maybe if we had kept them could be sold and the profits 'keep' us in our old age.
Pauline - seem to remember my mum telling me that I had occupied the bottom drawer of a large chest of drawers in my first months on this earth.  Don't believe I stayed too long there though because I remember also being told about the family cat taking up joint residence!

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 11:44:05 PM »
Christine is that 50 Woodbank or Shaw Road`s