Author Topic: Durham Hill School  (Read 3225 times)

Snowdrop

• View Profile
Durham Hill School
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:35:39 PM »
Good evening everyone :)
I have spoken to my brother bless him, I asked him about his memories because he is older than me, so he may remember different things. He told me that he went to Durham Hill School, 1956-1958, he left there then went to Malory School when it first opened in the Summer of 1958 till Xmas 1958 his name was Frederick Michael Woods, he also told me that my sister and other brother went there as well, but couldn't remember the dates but they were both older than him. There names were William Woods and Maureen Woods, and they all lived at 14 Wingrove Road and the family moved to Dagonet Gardens when I was born and Michael was 11 years old when I was born, he will be 65 this year.....ahhhh memories

Snowdrop xxx

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Durham Hill School
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:12:11 PM »
I lived opposite the school and my mother was a cleaner there for many years, including up to 1959. I used to go there after school (Churchdown) to help her.  Perhaps your brother was one of those Durham Hill School boys who used to pull my beret off and run away with it!

When I think of how hard my poor mother worked in those days, it makes me wince.  There weren't any electrical appliances, it was all broom, mop and bucket and elbow grease and sand and oil for the floors at the weekend applied with a cloth on a broom handle.

Snowdrop

• View Profile
Re: Durham Hill School
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:47:55 PM »
I lived opposite the school and my mother was a cleaner there for many years, including up to 1959. I used to go there after school (Churchdown) to help her.  Perhaps your brother was one of those Durham Hill School boys who used to pull my beret off and run away with it!

When I think of how hard my poor mother worked in those days, it makes me wince.  There weren't any electrical appliances, it was all broom, mop and bucket and elbow grease and sand and oil for the floors at the weekend applied with a cloth on a broom handle.

Evening Brenda :) perhaps he was one of those very boys ;) !!!!!     I know how hard they worked in those days my mummy bless her heart used to work at Hither Green Hospital in the laundry used to go and meet her after I came out of school, poor mummy her arms used to be covered in burns etc from the steam, jolly hard work used to watch them through the window folding all those massive sheets steam everywhere!!!!.... my god she earned her money in those days... I am now a caretaker/cleaner at our local primary school, even though all electrical appliances its still hard work, and |I still use a bit of elbow grease...

Snowdrop xxx