Author Topic: Easter  (Read 6209 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Easter
« on: March 19, 2008, 06:37:43 AM »
So - what is everyone doing for Easter?

We are doing nothing - staying home.

We have a sick Kelpie, I have to give her injections twice a day, so we can't leave her.
I keep telling her that she is 105 years old with a heart condition - but like all kelpies she can't sit still for long.

I hope everyone has a safe and uneventful holiday.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Easter
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:15:43 AM »
We are staying at home also, it's the best thing for us to do as we are sick & tired of this winter weather.Hope your Kelpie gets better, and you and all the other Downhamites have a wonderful Easter.  Smiffy :)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:25:39 AM »
I'm also in the stay-at-home club.  I truly couldn't be bothered with coping with traffic and crowds etc.  Everything I need to be happy, I've got here at home.

Sorry to hear one of your dogs is sick.  Kelpies are a lovely breed and so, so smart.  I guess she'll be doing what kelpies do right to the end and that's be on the go as much as possible.  They're a smart breed too, aren't they?  How old is she?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 05:34:46 AM »
I'm also in the stay-at-home club.  I truly couldn't be bothered with coping with traffic and crowds etc.  Everything I need to be happy, I've got here at home.

Sorry to hear one of your dogs is sick.  Kelpies are a lovely breed and so, so smart.  I guess she'll be doing what kelpies do right to the end and that's be on the go as much as possible.  They're a smart breed too, aren't they?  How old is she?

She's about 15 - we think.  She found us - wandered into our sons shop and declared herself lost.  It was the 'sook' notice he has on his head.  We think she was about 2 at the time.  Tried to find her owner, and then kept her ourselves.  She had a damaged shoulder, and there had been a rope or something round her neck, and she was terrified of men (not my son though) so we didn't try too hard to find her owner. She now has a blockage in one of the arteries back to her heart, and we are waiting to see if injections and aspirin work.  She is at the University Veterinary teaching hospital, and all the other tests have shown her to be in perfect health (except for the blockage).  It may mean a heart bypass - have to take out a bank loan.  The vet said she doesn't appear to be a day over 10 years old.  If she was old and decrepit I wouldn't worry about the op, but she is usually so full of herself, and even now runs and barks if someone comes calling.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 06:58:22 PM »
Hello Everybody :)and a very Happy Easter, we also belong to the stay at home brigade, one son is home from college but my other twin son has gone to stay with some college mates in the Isle of Arran :)

Take care and stay safe everyone

Snowdrop xxxx

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 10:26:36 AM »
Happy Easter all.  Pauline - hope the little person is soon on the mend.  I know what it feels like when pets are unwell - had many in the past but now just down to about 40 fish in a very small pond!  Petless friends could never understand the tears when a beloved furry friend was very ill or, sadly, died. My last cat died about 3 years ago at the grand old age of 19 BUT he had a good life as did all the pets who went before.

As for Easter - well the weather says it all here doesn't it and we have had some pretty atrocious stuff sent our way in the last few weeks.  Think we are waiting for snow at the moment but we have had snow at Easter before so nothing new there then. 

Had a friend over yesterday and went for a lovely long walk by Ardingly Reservoir - no rain, just cold wind but very sunny and the rest of the holiday catching up with in-laws and taking daughter and son in law out for lunch on Monday after he has finished guard change at Buck House.  Might spend some time on the computer tomorrow trying to decide on next holiday destination - maybe somewhere where permanent sun is guaranteed! Other half was offered a two year contract in Dubai the other week - but why oh why do these opportunities come along when you are two years off retirement and the job sounds a killer.  If only it had come along 20 years ago but then I suppose Dubai was just an oasis in the desert!

Hope not too many Easter Eggs are being eaten by you all!

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 02:07:42 AM »

Had a friend over yesterday and went for a lovely long walk by Ardingly Reservoir -

Ardingly - went to many a dog show at the show ground there - I now see they have an antiques and collectors fair there.  We don't get those here.  I just loved browsing around antiques and stuff - looking for that elusive bargain that will make me rich.  Oh well, at least all I have I have worked for!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 06:11:13 AM »
Pauline, whatever happens to Miss Kelpie, you will be able to take great comfort in knowing she had those great years with you. We, too, have had dogs that have been dumped (but we get them from the pound rather than them finding us) and it isn't difficult to see what they are afraid of, is it? We took on a german shepherd cross whose records at the vets said for the benefit of the staff, "Watch out!"  We soon discovered he could not stand the sight of any man in white overalls of any sort so heaven knows what history was there.  He was an absolute terror and ate the inside of the 4WD when we left him in it while we did some errands.  He killed chooks, chased sheep and was a thoroughly naughty boy for a few weeks and then he became the most obedient, loving and loyal dog.  But it was still 'watch out' for strangers!

Hope you've enjoyed your Easter Sunday. We have spent much of it retrieving animals from where they didn't orta be.  First a calf who got into our neighbours paddock and didn't know how (nor do we) and couldn't get out again.  Wouldn't be so bad if they had gates we could open but they are padlocked these days.  There was a lot of hoofing about for a while there.  A later check on the cattle show ... er ... no cattle.  We found them about half a km away in a tree plantation.  Definitely an ooops moment.  Fortunately, they responded pretty quickly to my call.  But there as been a lot of running about, a lot of mooing and a lot of cursing (from yours truly).

Chris, I will email you re: your entry.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 10:14:44 AM »
Sorry Bren but I did have to laugh at your cattle retrieving story - amazing how lives have changed from the Churchdown days - don't expect you ever thought you would be rounding up escaped animals in 2008!  My only attempts to rounding up animals was way back with two abscondee (?) cats who were not keen on the idea of being bundled into a cat basket for a trip to the cattery - almost missed a plane as a result!

As for Ardingly, Pauline, did you ever go to the South of England show there?  Been several times but always managed to choose a very, very, very wet day to go.  And just to let you know we had some snow this morning - all about 30 minutes of the stuff and now its turned to rain - a cooling thought for you girls down under to be getting along with.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 09:57:14 AM »
As for Ardingly, Pauline, did you ever go to the South of England show there?  Been several times but always managed to choose a very, very, very wet day to go.  And just to let you know we had some snow this morning - all about 30 minutes of the stuff and now its turned to rain - a cooling thought for you girls down under to be getting along with.

No - I never went to the show, we had the Kent County Show, and I had to take the kids there, but unlike you it was also hot, and the number of straw hats I bought, because I always forgot mine.  But one hat went to Spain and Italy with me, it was a sad sight after that! :(

We have the Royal Show here in Perth in September , I try to duck out of that, the older grandthings are too old, and the little ones are too small, but the time is coming when I will be 'roped' in to do my granny duty.

I take the little ones out every Saturday to give their mums a break, in fact they can all come if they want to - I usually end up with Ethan 12yo, Alex 12yo, James 5yo and Hayden 3yo.  I collect them at 11 am and take them back at 5pm, the silence is deafening.  But they are good kids, just a bit loud. They often all come down here, and then all hell breaks loose, Poor Pete (husband) he hates noise.  ::)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 02:19:35 AM »
Sorry Bren but I did have to laugh at your cattle retrieving story -

I confess, after the event and when I'd got my breath back as well as a modicum of equilibrium, I chuckled myself.  Mind you, there were one or two dicey moments when herding and the bull turned to look at me with a very nasty gleam in his eye.  Fortunately, there was a large gum tree there for me to duck behind.  Syd, who was in the 4WD, said he had visions of the pair of us circling the trunk at great speed.  He - the bull, not Syd - has never shown any signs of aggression but I prefer not to take any liberties with such a great beast and don't put my trust in him.  I prefer to have  a fence between us if possible.    Of course, it may have been the big stick I was carrying that caused him to take umbrage!

You're right Chris, I would never in a million years have thought I'd ever be doing such things.