Author Topic: Local history: what was this building on the right?  (Read 6996 times)

falkor

• View Profile
    • Southeast London and Northwest Kent Local History
Local history: what was this building on the right?
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »
Whatever it was, apparently, there was a set of almshouses directly behind it, as captioned on a map I checked; you can just about make out the roof and first cottage. Is that memorial still there?

Click for larger image

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Local history: what was this building on the right?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:51:54 PM »
And more wow!  I can't help you identify any buildings but am pretty sure that memorial was no longer there by the time my family moved to Downham. However, perhaps this is where we need our Dickie and his fabulous memory again.

Fantastic stuff you are finding Falkor. Are you going to tell us about your Downham connection?

falkor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:38:40 PM »
Fantastic stuff you are finding Falkor. Are you going to tell us about your Downham connection?
Thanks Brenda; glad to have made a contribution! My connection with Downham isn't as strong as with other parts of the Lewisham Borough, though nevertheless I do have some connection. I had childhood friends who lived in the heart of the Downham estate. My mother lived in Haddington Road for a couple of years. I've lived in two houses just outside the borders of Downham: Inchmery Road, off Bromley Road (10 years roughly) and Dilhorne Close, off Baring Road (2 years). I also worked in Blockbuster (Downham High Street) before it sadly closed down.  :(

Judging by your profile, Brenda, you are currently residing all the way around the other side of the globe? I'd be interested to know your connection with Downham, too. Cheers.  :)

falkor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:47:02 PM »
Memorial/fountain still there!  ;D

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:36:02 AM »
I remember that monument/drinks fountain. When were kids it was a regular summer treat to walk from Shroffold Road to Crystal Palace Park and home again and what a welcomed site that fountain used to be, but I do remember it always had that metally taste to it, like the old drinks fountains in the school playgrounds.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:00:30 PM »
God help us Maureen, You didn't drink out of that awful antisocial metal cup  that hung on a chain near the tap did you, it was a broad shallow lead/pewter thing. To make you feel better I tried to give my grandfathers horses a drink out of it once ! The house at the back I knew as the " FLOWER HOUSE" and had the impression that some of the residents were short of a few marbles         dickie.................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »
God help us Maureen, You didn't drink out of that awful antisocial metal cup  that hung on a chain near the tap did you, it was a broad shallow lead/pewter thing. To make you feel better I tried to give my grandfathers horses a drink out of it once ! The house at the back I knew as the " FLOWER HOUSE" and had the impression that some of the residents were short of a few marbles         dickie.................
Is this where flats were built and became known as the 'Flowerhouse Estate'?

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 08:39:40 PM »

Judging by your profile, Brenda, you are currently residing all the way around the other side of the globe? I'd be interested to know your connection with Downham, too. Cheers.  :)

Yes, that's right, I am now in Australia and have been living here since 1974.  I was born in Crutchley Rd, Catford - not far from Verdant Lane.  We moved to Durham Hill, Downham in 1948. That's when the houses had no electricity, a small black coal burning range in the front room, a gas-fire copper in the kitchen and a pump to get the water up to the bath.  A humble home, yes, but one I loved  and appreciated and still regard as home no matter how much I love being over here and living on the land.

I worked in various local places including Lewisham Hospital (I am sure it is unrecognisable now), Grove Park Hospital (gone), Hither Green Hospital (gone) and St Cecilia's Home in Sundridge Avenue.

It's wonderful to see so many of the old photos and oh, I bow my head in shame that I don't remember seeing the monument/drinking whatever you call it at Southend Pond. 
Look forward to seeing more of your photos and historical contributions.  It's wonderful.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »

Is this where flats were built and became known as the 'Flowerhouse Estate'?
[/quote]

Yes, Chris, it was.  I must have stood at the bus stop opposite that memorial a hundred times but it has obviously gone from memory.  I wonder what else has.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 11:56:23 PM »

a gas-fire copper in the kitchen and a pump to get the water up to the bath. 

[/quote]

We had two geysers (Ascots) one upstairs and one downstairs.  Very posh!  But being the small child that I was I was quite upset that we didn't have the pump to get the water upstairs.  And if I was ever at my friends house in Gareth Grove at bath-time, I would beg to pump the water up - and of course the task was willing given to me!
I was also upset that I didn't have hoards of older brothers and sisters so that I could get cheap lunches. 
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 12:36:40 AM »
hi bren my love, that memorial did not originally stand out on to the pavement as an entity in its own right, it was actually a part of the wall round the corner of the Flower House, I have commented elswhere on it as a drinking source but somehow we have lost the continuity of flow with our letters and replies, get it sorted Mike mate              dickie................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 05:55:53 PM »
Bren - Hi.  Have to say I found your description of home sweet home interesting.  As you know, I didn't live a million miles from you and we had most mod cons (no central heating tho).  The house I lived in had been re-built post war as I believe the previous house along with about five of its neighbours was wiped out during an air raid.  It was new when we moved in during 1948 so would probably explain why it had the 'latest technology'!  Mind you, up to that time, my parents had been living in Reading after being evacuated from Peckham to a house where the tin bath hung on the back wall and the loo was down the garden so I think we all deserved a little bit of luxury!  If only I had known bath time was such a trial for you - I would have invited you to my house to see how the other half live and even let you have the light on.............