Author Topic: Pictures from Brenda  (Read 4101 times)

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Pictures from Brenda
« on: July 12, 2008, 05:18:24 PM »
Wow - that "Where is winter" thread looks like it could go on to be a record - certainly it will still be going when the winter arrives here in the UK!

Brenda sent me some pictures ages ago, and I have just got round to loading them to the gallery - check them out here
http://www.downhamonline.org.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=8

Thanks Brenda - cheers up what has been a wet couple of weeks in Downham

Mike

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Pictures from Brenda
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:21:18 AM »
I'd forgotten all about them actually.  They were for Pauline to take a look at, methinks.  Just a sample of my chrysanthemums Pauline.  Your father would have been horrified by the rust on them this year! I was.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 02:43:48 AM »
I'd forgotten all about them actually.  They were for Pauline to take a look at, methinks.  Just a sample of my chrysanthemums Pauline.  Your father would have been horrified by the rust on them this year! I was.

I love the pink one.  Just like my Dad grew, his pride and joy.  Unfortunately, I am not too good at picking out the shoots, so mine go ferral.  He had heaps and heaps of Dahlias too.  I planted some tubers here, and they grew 5 feet tall. Not how I remember them at all.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 06:22:06 AM »

[/quote]

Unfortunately, I am not too good at picking out the shoots, so mine go ferral. 

Likewise Pauline.  I have never quite got the knack of it myself. That plus having a couple of hundred + means they all get away from me quick smart. However, some years ago, I was told that if you cut them right back at Christmas, it stops them growing quite as leggy as they would otherwise.  And it does work.  Each year I tell myself I'll look at the diagrams and pick out the side shoots and have only six really wonderful blooms on each plant but it just never happens.  I'm just pleased when I get a result like the pink one in the photo. The other two aren't the exhibition incurve types  so they don't get that shape anyway. All the same, little or small, incurved, outcurved or not curved at all. I love them.