Author Topic: Where's Bel?  (Read 14586 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Where's Bel?
« on: February 22, 2008, 06:50:42 AM »
Where are you Bel?
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Bel

• View Profile
Re: Where's Bel?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 09:30:59 PM »
still around.  Have been to the Isle of Sheppey today down memory lane.  Looked for the school that my mother went to but I think it was pulled down.  The sheep (ancestors) that my grandfather used to attend were still around in the fields tho and we found the old ferry (one of 3) which were evidently used to get on and off the Island . Been to Broadstairs this week as well, another place which doesnt seem to change.  They had a "Dicken's week" on a few weeks ago and Mr.Pickwick certainly looked the part! The Kent countryside is looking particually colourful at the moment with the poppy fields and the lavender fields at Lullingstone very vibrant. Love to you all Bel

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 07:10:35 AM »
Lovely to hear from you again Bel.  Good to hear you are still enjoying life.  We've got a programme coming up on the telly this week about Isle of Sheppey so I must watch it.

I sigh to read about the fields full of poppies.  Have a few in the garden most years but it's never quite the same.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:01:03 PM »
Lovely day today so took the dog to Greenwich Park.( where my parents first met in about 1918). Used to visit there frequently  when I was about 10 ( was it really 66 years ago)  with my bottle of water and a jam sandwich and my best friend who lived next door Janet Griffin. The rose garden was in full bloom as always in July, but the view was very different from the top of the hill with all the high buildings. The boating lake was very busy (the dog fell in and had to be rescued as she couldnt get out) We couldnt afford the fee for a boat years ago  but those were happy times.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 07:27:23 AM »
I think I would be very sad to see the view from the top of the hill spoiled by all the high rise blocks.  Is that the Canary Wharf development?  I used to have lots of outings to Blackheath and Greenwich with my friend and her family when I was a child and then, when  teenagers, my friend and I used to cycle there. (The hills nearly killed us!) I loved the Maritime Museum and Queen Anne's house.  Loved the deer and the wide open spaces.  Can't remember a boating lake though. 

So glad doggy had some willing rescuers.  Phew - what a worry!  A doggy Mae West is needed for next time, eh?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 04:38:46 AM »
still around.  Have been to the Isle of Sheppey today down memory lane.  Looked for the school that my mother went to but I think it was pulled down.  The sheep (ancestors) that my grandfather used to attend were still around in the fields tho and we found the old ferry (one of 3) which were evidently used to get on and off the Island . Been to Broadstairs this week as well, another place which doesnt seem to change.  They had a "Dicken's week" on a few weeks ago and Mr.Pickwick certainly looked the part! The Kent countryside is looking particually colourful at the moment with the poppy fields and the lavender fields at Lullingstone very vibrant. Love to you all Bel

Hi Bel - good to hear from you again.
I lived on the Isle of Sheppey for 15 years before coming to Oz.  Which school were you looking for?
I hear there is a wizzy new bridge.  Makes a change from having to wait until the old lift bridge came down, and then having to wait even longer when something went wrong with it.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 04:39:36 AM »
Lovely to hear from you again Bel.  Good to hear you are still enjoying life.  We've got a programme coming up on the telly this week about Isle of Sheppey so I must watch it.

I sigh to read about the fields full of poppies.  Have a few in the garden most years but it's never quite the same.

When is the programme on Brenda?  I would like to watch that too.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 12:36:20 PM »
yes the new bridge makes a great deal of difference. I have been looking up records of the schools on the Isle but apart from knowing it was a church school in the middle of nowhere I am at a loss.  I was looking for the names Daisy and Charlotte Noble and Frank Noble but couldnt find any school records for them. Could have been destroyed in the war. Minster was the place they lived.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 11:04:40 PM »

[/quote]

It's on tonight (Tuesday) Pauline.  6pm down here. It's Time Team. Don't know how much of Sheppey will be shown but I think it'll be worth a look.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 06:14:21 AM »

It's on tonight (Tuesday) Pauline.  6pm down here. It's Time Team. Don't know how much of Sheppey will be shown but I think it'll be worth a look.
[/quote]

One of my favourite programmes.
Just looked it up - they are looking at Queenborough Castle.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
Isle of Sheppey Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia might be of interest

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 02:28:42 AM »

One of my favourite programmes.
Just looked it up - they are looking at Queenborough Castle.
[/quote]

I thought this programme very interesting.  We had always known there was a castle there, in fact there used to be a pile of stones that were part of that castle, but they seem to have been replaced by that concrete pad with the seats on it.  I worked for some years facing that piece of green, and often wondered what the castle looked like, it seems to have been a very impressive and Disney like edifice.  Difficult to imagine in this day and age, with the railways station there and it being in the middle of an industrial area.  It seems to have been one of the few times in that programme that they have actually found what they were looking for.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 06:53:13 PM »
it was a lovely sunny day today brilliant blue sky with just the hint of a breeze. We usually take our dog near the sea on a day like this as she has a double coat (being a lab cross collie) so of course the Isle of Sheppey being the nearest off we go yet again.  Minster was our destination and the walk along the new promenade there was exilerating and a cream tea made the day extra special. Coming back we made a detour to Queenborough Castle but of course the time team had been there first and there wasnt much left to see. The railway station and industrial estate are still there of course, but we parked overlooking the "sea" which was very pleasant.  I had a near death experience last December so my son (number 3) is making sure that big sis and I enjoy the time we have left.  Bel

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 02:31:59 AM »
.  I had a near death experience last December so my son (number 3) is making sure that big sis and I enjoy the time we have left.  Bel

Bel --- you just can't leave it at that!  What happened?  Did I miss something?

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 12:31:08 PM »
last December I went into severe anaphylactic shock (due to taking penicillin for a chest infection ). My son found me just in time and I was rushed to hospital where they undoubtedly saved my life.  It just shows how these things happen as I have been taking penicillin off and on for years with no adverse effect. However I am mostly recovered now.  We old Downhamites are a tough breed.