Author Topic: Haircuts - Pets Corner  (Read 15878 times)

maureen

• View Profile
Haircuts - Pets Corner
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »
Come on now let's get the old grey matter working, where was Haircuts? I can't remember exactly where it was, maybe Bellingham? I used to walk there and buy a couple of little white mice and it was worth the bus fare on the way back to accidentally let one of the little fellas loose on the top deck!! My youngest brother used to get so upset seeing the puppies and kittens all squashed together in minute cases and was always trying to open the cages and let them out. I remember the owner being a very stout man with pure white hair. 

Anyone know how he got the name of Haircut?

Snowdrop

• View Profile
Re: Haircuts - Pets Corner
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 10:51:57 PM »
Come on now let's get the old grey matter working, where was Haircuts? I can't remember exactly where it was, maybe Bellingham? I used to walk there and buy a couple of little white mice and it was worth the bus fare on the way back to accidentally let one of the little fellas loose on the top deck!! My youngest brother used to get so upset seeing the puppies and kittens all squashed together in minute cases and was always trying to open the cages and let them out. I remember the owner being a very stout man with pure white hair. 

Anyone know how he got the name of Haircut?

Hi Maureen well where did that come from???? I remember Haircuts but cant remember where it was and I agree with your brother I always felt so sorry for the animals and they didn't always look in the best of health was it in Catford???? will ask my bruvver he he Also had another nostalgic moment used to go out on sunday trips with my mummy and we would go on a Charabang!!!!and we would catch it at Timpsons yard in Catford, they were such lovely days out to Margate, Ramsgate Southend. ......Maureen did you ask your brother about the teachers names?????

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 03:49:28 AM »
Hair Cuts    It was on the same side of the road as the old eros cinema formerly the hippodrome, going towards lewisham on the corner of rosenthal or davenport,  I think the east side of rushey green. Opposite the rising sun pub?.  Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:13:25 AM »
Smiffy you are so good at remembering street names. I'm sure I used to walk there but as a child (in those days) you walked for miles anyway, as I said previously we used to walk from Shroffold to Crystal Palace Park, Mum, Dad me and my two younger brothers and one of my pals and I used to walk to Keston and Downe. They don't know what their legs are for these days!

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:08:18 AM »
Hair Cuts    It was on the same side of the road as the old eros cinema formerly the hippodrome, going towards lewisham on the corner of rosenthal or davenport,  I think the east side of rushey green. Opposite the rising sun pub?.  Smiffy

Dad used to get baby chicks from there!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 05:14:52 AM »
Yes, I am sure it was on the corner at the end of Rushey Green before it started sliding into Lewisham.  When my friend and I were about ten years old, we were having a look in Haircuts and saw a cage full of kittens that, being blind still, were patently too young to be taken from their mothers and sold on. Despite being two shy and non-assertive children, we went to Haircut and told him so.  He threw us out!

He also had a 'zoo' out the back for which he charged sixpence or so for entry.  I can't remember the animals he kept out there apart from an unhappy monkey.  I hope Haircut got what he deserved in life or death!

The charabanc trips were wonderful, weren't they?  Mind you, I was always terrified we would get on the wrong coach and go - where?  And was there anything as wonderful as they first glimpse of the sea and the rush to get down to the beach and feel the sand on the feet.  Or the pebbles!   Why we would ever choose to go to a pebbly beach is beyond me but never mind.

How disappointing it was though when the day picked for the trip was a wet one and we'd have to spend hours walking up and down the front, looking at the shops (with me wondering about the saucy postcards of very small men doing strange things to very large women).

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 09:27:31 AM »
Brenda I remember so lovely lovely memories of going to the seaside catching that first glimpse, oohhh candy floss sand, penny arcades and I remember going on one with my brother who went on a ride with me in this little aeroplane ride who knees were stickingout way above the ride seems funny looking back now!!!!! and I had my poshest little frock on and a big hat!!!Boy we knew how to dress up in those days ;D ;D....

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 06:41:32 PM »
I remember the 'pet' shop as well - and can someone confirm that I have located it correctly i.e. near to the Savoy ballroom in Catford. And what about the Savoy ballroom - is it still in existence?   Charabancs - now thats a word you don't hear of often nowadays. I remember that for the only two holidays I went on as a child -a week in Dymchurch and Herne Bay in a caravan -  we went by STEAM train from London and, yes, it always rained!  Crikey, our kids don't know their born. I even saw Whitstable being called the new Chelsea by the sea in the press a few weeks ago so things are looking up in that part of the world.

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 10:45:42 PM »
I remember the 'pet' shop as well - and can someone confirm that I have located it correctly i.e. near to the Savoy ballroom in Catford. And what about the Savoy ballroom - is it still in existence?   Charabancs - now thats a word you don't hear of often nowadays. I remember that for the only two holidays I went on as a child -a week in Dymchurch and Herne Bay in a caravan -  we went by STEAM train from London and, yes, it always rained!  Crikey, our kids don't know their born. I even saw Whitstable being called the new Chelsea by the sea in the press a few weeks ago so things are looking up in that part of the world.

Hi ya christine, the days out were fantastic used to come home really tired and when we got back to the yard we then caught the 124 bus home and then walk and my poor little legs were aching...  actually went on a caravan holiday to Seasalter for a week with relatives what a funny name cant even remember where it was now... and my eldest brother had a chalet at Leysdown.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 06:06:15 PM »
Hi ya christine, the days out were fantastic used to come home really tired and when we got back to the yard we then caught the 124 bus home and then walk and my poor little legs were aching...  actually went on a caravan holiday to Seasalter for a week with relatives what a funny name cant even remember where it was now... and my eldest brother had a chalet at Leysdown.
[/quote]
Snowdrop - don't know Leysdown but my husband's parents/relatives had a chalet at Leysdown and he spent many holidays there with his cousins.  They had a motorbike and sidecar and used to head down that way having firstly sent the luggage on. Gosh how did parents manage in those days - my son needed a car big enough for the bugaboo/car seats/travel cot etc. etc. My daughter and her husband went to the Cotswolds last week for three days and you would have thought they were going for a month - goodness only knows what they will take when the baby arrives - Pickfords??

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 12:16:51 AM »

We lived on the Isle of Sheppey at Minster for 10 years before coming to OZ.  Leysdown?  Pretty dismal nowdays.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 06:15:27 AM »
Yep, I too had a couple of holidays at Leysdown.  Leysdown itself wasn't up to much but getting out to the farther reaches of the island was nice and we found some really lovely places.  Bel said her grandfather was a shepherd on the island, didn't she?  Hi Bel, hope you are still looking in on us.

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 06:27:57 PM »
Hello Ladies, I don't remember anything about Leysdown all I know is that my brother had a chalet there even though I never went,
Christine I know what you mean, HOW did our parents cope in those days, but THEY did, but with little resources they made the best of it and we have great times, so good, thats why after all these years we can still reminisce about the good times. :)
keep safe and take care xxx

DAT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 12:45:08 AM »
Yep...I remember "Haircuts " Purchased our dog there Bob in the 40's Told it was a water spaniel , was with us where we lived in Fordel Road Catford .Our second dog also from " Haircuts " which was a cross border collie, another Bob, he was 18 when he died, came with us from Catford to Crockenhill .(Kent )
But as I recall anybody who wanted an animal was told. " Go to Haircuts "

Another memory to share , a member mentioned the Hippodrome of Catford which later became the Eros Cinema which I and der boys often went --seats in the "gods. " There was a time on one of our visits I had purchased a very large cigar frome somewhere in the city. This was duly lit and shared , passing it  up and down the row---I don't think we finished it ---or wanted to.

The snooker hall, I've still got my membership card, don't expect its much use now.

With apologises to readers for an ex Catfordite passing on memories as my only connection with Downham was catching the 124 bus to Downham swimming baths. Anyhow could be these memories may make interesing reading ?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:14:33 AM by DAT »

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 11:35:41 AM »
Hi all. Pets corner was on the corner of Rushey Green and Rosenthal Road. It is now a Car Wash and Funeral Directors The Savoy is now a Furniture Shop called Mattuci (if its still going). I also seem to remember a pet shop near to Peter Pans Pool and another near to Bellingham Lido( If i say the name Lido to anybody outside London they havn`t a clue what it is ) Hope that helps you all.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.