Author Topic: Local history: Downham Wall  (Read 20003 times)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Local history: Downham Wall
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 10:55:45 PM »
Hello Smiffy,
Sorry I  can't recognise any of the names of the teachers that you mentioned, I do remember a Mr Donoghue, I think that's how you spell his name, he took book keeping and I believe a Mr Evans was the art teacher. Mr Dorringtron was the Headmaster while I was there. I have just pulled out my school reports from the time and other teachers mentioned were Johnson, Betts , who was Headmaster before Dorrington, Burnett who was a sadistic b...... he carried a cane around tucked up his sleeve, and Kyte. That's about all I can remember
ADDED BY DICKIE     Mr Betts was formerley the Headmaster if Launcelot Juniors his house in Burnt Ash Lane was Bombed and sadly his wife was killed. He was the perfect gentleman but never the same after losing his wife    dickie..............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
Fred, The problem I had was I lived in Keedonwood Road and used the ally to get home and had to pass some of the boys we have had snow ball fights with, your school just around the corner from home, so it was a fast run job home.

It was the lead up to Guy Fawkes that I dreaded.  Mum would send me to the shops every evening, and I had to run the gauntlet of the local boys, until one day a mate (male) told me to pick up the banger and hurl it back, didn't get caught again!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 06:39:24 AM »
Likewise, Pauline.  The worst lot, as far as I was concerned, lived in Woodbank Road at the Whitefoot Terrace end. I dreaded passing them on the way to my friend in Whitefoot Lane because of those blinking bangers.  Doubt I would have been brave enough to pick one up and throw it. Wish I had!   Of course, these days all that seems very tame, doesn't it?

Another problem with boys was (sorry, gentlemen, but it really was the lads that did these things!) with snowballs.  Some of the rotters used to make snowballs around stones and then throw them. One of them got me on the ear once and it really did hurt.

Not to mention, of course, the itching powder put down ones clothes at school!

The nearest I got to sticking up for myself was with a classmate who was tormenting me.  I finally go fed up and told him if he didn't stop, I would kick him in the shin. He didn't and I did!  I can still remember the astonishment on his face.  Wonder if he remembers!

Bren 

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 09:21:25 PM »
Just been reading a chap named Bellenger on the subject of the development of the old estate, part of which states that the Valeswood Wall was demolished in the early part of the war for access of Fire engines etc.. Quite ann interesting article, there used to be a family in Tristram named Bellinger (Bellenger ? ) I wonder if they are related ?   dickie......
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 09:10:31 AM »
Where did you find that article, Dickie?

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 01:14:45 AM »
Sorry Bren lover, I just stumbled upon it, but its an article by a chap called Bellenger on the estate  Dickie .........

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 07:50:46 PM »
His name is Tim Bellenger and has done a history of Downham on this site. Hope that helps all.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.