Author Topic: 2008  (Read 4658 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
« on: January 16, 2008, 08:57:17 PM »
Just calling in to say "Hallo" and hope 2008 is being kind to everyone.  I've survived the far too many days of 41oC but Pauline, I believe the temp went up to 45o over your way.  How did you handle it?  Our 'lawn' is now nothing more than yellow crunchy straw but at least we have enough water this year to save the garden plants and veggies from dying. And thank heaven for the dam for cool-offs outside and air-conditioning for cool-offs inside.

From what I hear, it's pretty nippy in England at present.  Colder than the usual winter?   

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 11:46:51 PM »
The start of 2008 is going well for us, Pam (misses Smiffy) is coming along had good blood test results, the cancer hospital we go too is very modern, we have a plastic card to swipe to tell them we have arrived and volunteers come around asking if you want a drink while you are waiting for your appointment. Pam has to go twice a month one day to see the Doctor next day to have an infusion. We had a white Christmas, the temp has been around 0c but will be going down pretty soon I expect. Hope you all have a good 2008. This Smith family are going to show each other lots of love and look after each other, nobody can take that away from us. Luciem   Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:22:20 AM »
Everyone seems to have gone very quiet in 2008 - are you all resting post Christmas or is it true that January is the most depressing month of the year (well in the UK anyway).

Did anybody make any New Year resolutions - better still, how many have already been broken..... 

Anybody out there planning any wonderful holidays or at least dreaming of where they would like to go.  We are not very adventurous I have to say, more due to the fact that I am not a great fan of flying and 3 hours on a plane is about my limit although I might just turn up on your doorstep Bren one day!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 05:55:34 AM »
Ah, the old ESP is still working.  I had decided that even if no-one had posted a skerrick, I would simply say "Hallo" today.  And here you are Christine.  Yes, we've all been a bit quiet, haven't we?  Blame my absence on heat-wilt or just lack of anything of interest to report. 

No, no resolutions made and no holidays planned.  The former don't work and I'm not  interested in the latter because I have all I need to make me content right here.  We are going down to Melbourne tomorrow to meet our eldest daughter and grand-daughter at the fun-fair.  I don't know what sort of thrill-rides they have there but I know Syd will go on anything terrifying. He's just a big kid at times.  I intend to have a few rides but only if they do not threaten to shorten my life by fear!

I look forward to seeing you, Chris!  Only old clothes and wellies necessary. 

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 03:35:33 AM »
Everyone seems to have gone very quiet in 2008 - are you all resting post Christmas or is it true that January is the most depressing month of the year (well in the UK anyway).

Did anybody make any New Year resolutions - better still, how many have already been broken..... 

Anybody out there planning any wonderful holidays or at least dreaming of where they would like to go.  We are not very adventurous I have to say, more due to the fact that I am not a great fan of flying and 3 hours on a plane is about my limit although I might just turn up on your doorstep Bren one day!

Hi everyone.  It's hot - here in Perth we haven't had any relief from the heat.  Temperatures between 36 - 43 deg. Thank goodness for the pool and the AC.

We have just returned from our holiday in Cambodia and Vietnam, we had a wonderful time.  Both countries are worth a visit, the people are just so friendly and the markets so cheap.

We had a friend of my sons to house sit for us.  He came from UK 6 years ago, he went to school with my son and spent many a night at our house.  When he came to OZ he lived with us until he found his own place (probably with us for about 2 years) so the dogs knew him, and he was familiar with their routine, and of course he knew how the house 'worked'.  So we could just have a wonderful holiday.  Our friends from Essex, who are staying with us, came too.  They are off to NZ on Sunday for a week, calling in at Melbourne and Sydney during the trip, and then returning to us.  They leave on 15 March.
I go back to work on 4th Feb. 
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:40:51 PM »
I just knew you two would reply - and I am glad for that just to hear how warm and pleasant it is on the other side of the world.  Happy to say that the daffodils started coming up in the garden around Christmas and I have seen several camellia bushes in full flower so we can now really start to look forward to the spring and you can look forward to cooling down!

Pauline, my husband was in Cambodia the year before last and the whole experience will last with him always.  Although it was a business trip he did get to do a few 'touristy' trips and took lots of pics.  He still cannot get over seeing the man cycling along a dirt track with the corpse of a pig tied to the back of his bike (have the picture to prove it) - we really do not have any comprehension of how people live in some parts of the world.  He was obviously out for more than a few pork chops!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 04:22:28 AM »
Wow, Pauline. What a way to start 2008. So glad you enjoyed yourself and it does make a difference having someone reliable to care for the canines, doesn't it?

My very short sojourn in the East was an overnight stop in Bangkok in 1973.  I was terrified, not being well-travelled, on my own and very unsure of myself.  The drive to the hotel from the airport would have to be the most scary episode of my life which I thought was likely to be a very short one because of what seemed to be a total disregard to any laws of the road.

I was fascinated though, by what a different world I had entered and particularly fascinated to see people in boats casting nets in the rivers and streams just by the side of a busy highway.  Just for  while, I felt like Alan Whicker. Anyone remember him?

Warm and pleasant here, Chris?  Nah, hot and sticky more like. Still, we have only one more month to go and it's autumn and with that, the promise of lower temperatures (I hope).