Author Topic: Some good things about Downham!!  (Read 6986 times)

Roger

• View Profile
    • Email
Some good things about Downham!!
« on: September 07, 2007, 06:25:59 PM »
1. The state of the art library with thousands and thousands of books set over 2 floors with self service, DVDs, CDs, an extensive children's book collection, sofas, toliets, a mini cinema room (where they screen free movies for adults and children at various times thorughout the week), a teenagers' section with magazines and a T.V., internet access and the longest opening hours of any library I've ever been to, until 10pm some evenings!   :)

2. The new leisure center attached to the library with everything in brand new condition including 2 swimming pools.  :)

3. The Costa Coffee cafe next to the library which is one of the prime indicators of an area on the 'up'.  :)

4. The Marks And Spencer mini supermarket / petrol station which has just opened up on the main road, it only stocks expensive prepackaged designer meals, but that again suggests an area on the up.  :)

5. The Tesco supermarket which has also recently opened up, not far from the M&S,  it has really early opening hours, so perfect if you need to shop prior to going off to work.  :)

6. The Macdonald's, seriously! This particular branch has a very large landscaped garden out the back with a nicely curving brick patio housing a few wooden benches, a large lawn area with trees planted and plenty of shrubs, perennials and annuals on display. It also has lots of hanging baskets out the front and plant borders surrounding the car park.  The staff there are very nice as it often attracts foreign students learning English, supplementing their studies with a P/T income.  :)

7. The new parks which have just opened up behind the East side of Downham way with their own top quality football pitches for hire and changing facilities.  They have a picturesque stream running through them and also wisely have barriers to stop motorbikes coming in. The playground in the main one is nothing to write home about, but my 1 year old likes running around in there and its great to see other kids getting exercise there by playing football.  There is also a dog exercise area in one of the parks.  :)

8.  Steve's Gym is gone, Steve is a great guy, but really this gym wasn't for locals it was for musclebound bouncers and hard men from all over the place. It is now tastefully being redeveloped in to designer apartments with their own underground parking.    :)

9. Burnt Ash school!  My 5  year old goes there and I am very impressed with their sophisticated teaching methods and techniques for encouraging good behaviour. The praise book where children get stickers for doing good work is a great idea . Also there is a communal bear which children take turns to look after for the weekend and when it is your child's turn you have to fill in the scrapbook with a diary of his adventures (and photos if you have any) which teaches the children about responsibility and communication.   :)

10. Grove Park station. This station can get you to London bridge in less than 15 minutes. The last trains out of Charring Cross go to Grove Park station, so you're less likely to miss your last train. I think the last one leaves London just after 1 AM. Also the N136 night bus goes from Trafalgar Sq to Downham Way / Grove Park, which is also a bonus if you're staying out late.  :)

11 Location, close to London (see above), not far from the M25, a bus journey away from Bromley town centre, or if you prefer a bus journey away from Lewisham. I find it easy to get away along the A21 or A20 if I want to head to Hastings or Margate at the weekend because we're in hte South Eastern area of London. It's never too difficult to get to the seaside.   :)

All in all, there are some great things about the area...

and did you know that DAVID BOWIE , who was one of the greatest living Britains and voted the most influental musical artist of all time by his fellow contemporaries (Coldplay U2, Radiohead etc..) 7 years ago (ahead of the Beatles), went to Burnt Ash primary school?? I'm certainly proud that my daughter goes to the same school!   ;D

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some good things about Downham!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 08:42:15 PM »
Thanks for the very interesting info. Our Downham has always been the best place, it's nice to know it's getting better. Keep us up to date.  Smiffy  :)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 03:14:44 AM »
1. The state of the art library with thousands and thousands of books set over 2 floors with self service, DVDs, CDs, an extensive children's book collection, sofas, toliets, a mini cinema room (where they screen free movies for adults and children at various times thorughout the week), a teenagers' section with magazines and a T.V., internet access and the longest opening hours of any library I've ever been to, until 10pm some evenings!   :)

2. The new leisure center attached to the library with everything in brand new condition including 2 swimming pools.  :)

3. The Costa Coffee cafe next to the library which is one of the prime indicators of an area on the 'up'.  :)

4. The Marks And Spencer mini supermarket / petrol station which has just opened up on the main road, it only stocks expensive prepackaged designer meals, but that again suggests an area on the up.  :)

5. The Tesco supermarket which has also recently opened up, not far from the M&S,  it has really early opening hours, so perfect if you need to shop prior to going off to work.  :)

6. The Macdonald's, seriously! This particular branch has a very large landscaped garden out the back with a nicely curving brick patio housing a few wooden benches, a large lawn area with trees planted and plenty of shrubs, perennials and annuals on display. It also has lots of hanging baskets out the front and plant borders surrounding the car park.  The staff there are very nice as it often attracts foreign students learning English, supplementing their studies with a P/T income.  :)

7. The new parks which have just opened up behind the East side of Downham way with their own top quality football pitches for hire and changing facilities.  They have a picturesque stream running through them and also wisely have barriers to stop motorbikes coming in. The playground in the main one is nothing to write home about, but my 1 year old likes running around in there and its great to see other kids getting exercise there by playing football.  There is also a dog exercise area in one of the parks.  :)

8.  Steve's Gym is gone, Steve is a great guy, but really this gym wasn't for locals it was for musclebound bouncers and hard men from all over the place. It is now tastefully being redeveloped in to designer apartments with their own underground parking.    :)

9. Burnt Ash school!  My 5  year old goes there and I am very impressed with their sophisticated teaching methods and techniques for encouraging good behaviour. The praise book where children get stickers for doing good work is a great idea . Also there is a communal bear which children take turns to look after for the weekend and when it is your child's turn you have to fill in the scrapbook with a diary of his adventures (and photos if you have any) which teaches the children about responsibility and communication.   :)

10. Grove Park station. This station can get you to London bridge in less than 15 minutes. The last trains out of Charring Cross go to Grove Park station, so you're less likely to miss your last train. I think the last one leaves London just after 1 AM. Also the N136 night bus goes from Trafalgar Sq to Downham Way / Grove Park, which is also a bonus if you're staying out late.  :)

11 Location, close to London (see above), not far from the M25, a bus journey away from Bromley town centre, or if you prefer a bus journey away from Lewisham. I find it easy to get away along the A21 or A20 if I want to head to Hastings or Margate at the weekend because we're in hte South Eastern area of London. It's never too difficult to get to the seaside.   :)

All in all, there are some great things about the area...

and did you know that DAVID BOWIE , who was one of the greatest living Britains and voted the most influental musical artist of all time by his fellow contemporaries (Coldplay U2, Radiohead etc..) 7 years ago (ahead of the Beatles), went to Burnt Ash primary school?? I'm certainly proud that my daughter goes to the same school!   ;D

Well you almost sold me there!  BUT can you guarantee the weather? ;D
It would seem the old place has changed - well it had to didn't it?
The transport system always was good - standing on Grove Park Station at any time of the day, you always knew a train would be along shortly, and with my monthly pass I could travel whenever I wanted.
The transport here in Perth is a disaster.  There is no way I could get to work using public transport.  I would have to drive 10 minutes to the nearest bus (the train network is now 2 years behind schedule) then change buses twice.  Why would I bother?  Stay in my car and get the benefits of University parking for $200 a year!

Yes I knew about David Bowie (Jones as he was then).  Mick Jagger too was born not far away.
I could not get back to Downham during my visits last year.  But I have promised my granddaughter that I will try and take her back one day - she is 15 now.
Where is the M&S? situated? ???
Is there still a Woolworth at the bottom of Downham Way? ???
Costa Coffee I did come across last year.  We went there all the time because they were a no smoking cafe.  Living here in Perth we have got used to no smoking in public places (I can be sanctimonious - I never ever took up the habit).

More news please....... 8)
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 08:22:43 AM »
Roger, how lovely to read such positive things about present-day Downham.  If you have read any of the old posts, you will know how we old Downhamites (dinosaurs?) still appreciate our early years, growing up on the estate. I confess, I hate to think so much has changed from the old days, but if those changes can inspire such accolades from a resident, well, I reckon that's terrific.

Re: the 'main road' where M&S have opened a store.  Are you talking about Bromley Road - that which we used to call 'down the bottom'?

I'm sure the train journey to London Bridge used to take 30 mins.  And I tell you what, there were times I could have done with a 1a.m. train home!

Keep sharing with us, Roger.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 11:15:17 PM »
 :D      My Downham wasn't all that bad,in fact I would go back again had it not changed. The old Tavern with its Public and saloon Bars (both in the Guinness Book of Records !)plus a Tea Room,an Off-licence and a Music Hall we knew as "Bal Tabarin". the present little tavern would easily fit in either one of the old Bars . They built North Downham on what I knew as Perry's Farm which went right down Whitefoot lane to the "Forster Memorial Park". The 47 Tram ran once an hour after midnight until 0600 hrs from Town to the Bottom of Downham Way .There were Open Air swimming Pools at Bellingham ant the"Blue Lagoon" over at St Mary Cray ,and Ladywell Baths, plus the Downham Baths, which at 42 metres by18 metres was quite good. Lewisham Borough Council presided over us like a benevolent Auntie through the Town Hall at Catford (Opposite St. Lawrence's Church and the "Hippodrome")That Gym thing was originally the YWCA.  The only sour note from my teens was the Tram journey to the Northern Poly in Holloway which took Two Hours ah well at least I got my Homework and the next days prep. done during the ride ."And another thing"as Max Miller would say, you would have to travel a Long way to find Girls as attractive and warm and as much fun as the young ladies we had on Downham.        dickie.....................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:26:27 AM »
Good to see you back, Dickie - and just as I was thinking I'd have to send an email to check up on you.

Pauline, the public transport system is pretty bad in Melbourne and the suburbs too.  My first experience of it was shortly after arriving in this country and I got a job 4 nights a week (including weekends) on the other side of the city and so on top of a 12hour night, I had 4 hours of travel to and fro.  It was a big, big mistake but I had to stick at it until I found something a little closer to home.