Author Topic: Over-Whelmed  (Read 11848 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Over-Whelmed
« on: March 27, 2007, 03:32:29 AM »
C'mon People - Let me know what you are doing - we're being over-whelmed by the Area Residents Panel.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Over-Whelmed
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 11:43:55 AM »
Well, not doing much at the moment really.  Just still battling the heat and the lack of rain.  It was 35oC on Friday and terribly windy so we had a day of Total Fire Ban.  I only went out went absolutely necessary and when I did, I got sandblasted.  Amazingly enough, the temperature dropped down to zero in the early hours of next morning.

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 11:56:06 AM »
Hello girls - well you can't expect much to be happening here at the moment.  The temperature has reached about 15 deg so its probably too warm for us and we have had to put the clocks forward an hour so we are all very sleepy as well!
Chris

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:25:56 AM »
We had to put our clocks forward a week ago the yanks decided to do it so we followed, we had to do it because of the business and trade we do with them, it's nice and light now 7pm and the weather has warmed up.  So England & Australia are through into the next round World cup Cricket, I don't Fancie Englands chances but you Aussies should be in the final. 15 British Sailors kidnapped by Iran, should we send an Aircraft Carrier & some Battleships and give them what for?.  Not these days I guess, perhaps way back when we where looked up too.  Smiffy  :)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 04:30:05 AM »
We had to put our clocks forward a week ago the yanks decided to do it so we followed, we had to do it because of the business and trade we do with them, it's nice and light now 7pm and the weather has warmed up.  So England & Australia are through into the next round World cup Cricket, I don't Fancie Englands chances but you Aussies should be in the final. 15 British Sailors kidnapped by Iran, should we send an Aircraft Carrier & some Battleships and give them what for?.  Not these days I guess, perhaps way back when we where looked up too.  Smiffy  :)

Oh the daylight saving debarcle has hit us here in the West.  We don't have daylight saving, but every now and again we have a referendum and the NIMBYs and old fogies voted NO.  Personally I love it.  So disregarding the vote, this year the pollies decided that we would have a 3 year trial followed by ANOTHER referendum (Don't you just love it).  So we had daylight saving this year, and now everyone is moaning because we have another 2 years, and that we should have a referendum NOW!  I cannot understand how West Australians are so backward that they cannot cope - the eastern states do - the Yanks do - the brits do.  The curtains don't fade there, the kids go to bed WHEN THEY ARE TOLD!  And the cows and chickens don't get confused.  But apparently  in Western Australia we cannot cope!  We get tired and exhausted! Poor things.
So on Sundy we put our clocks back again, and it got cold, and it rained, and I go home and it's dark, and I can't sit in my garden. AAHH!!! I feel better now!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Oh no - of course I had forgotten that with the joy of summer we get the CRICKET!  What is the fascination with this game.  Eleven men with a bat and ball running up and down a small patch of land precisely marked by a set of sticks at either end.  Mind you - it has become newsworthy of late I suppose what with the Pakistan manager being murdered!  I do feel sorry for the cricket wives - or do they enjoy it?  Answers please..... 
Chris

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 03:47:09 AM »
I suppose cricketers' wives are like footballers' wives i.e. they get the benefits of their spouses dazzling sporting careers. So, perhaps they feel obliged to like it, eh?

I confess I have enjoyed a good match on the odd occasion - and very odd it is too.  On the whole, I am not one bit interested in sport. Don't even bother watching the Olympics any more either.  I think it's all turned into big business, hasn't it?
Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 02:59:16 AM »
I suppose cricketers' wives are like footballers' wives i.e. they get the benefits of their spouses dazzling sporting careers. So, perhaps they feel obliged to like it, eh?

I confess I have enjoyed a good match on the odd occasion - and very odd it is too.  On the whole, I am not one bit interested in sport. Don't even bother watching the Olympics any more either.  I think it's all turned into big business, hasn't it?
Bren
I had never bothered with a cricket match until I came to Perth.  I bought one day tickets for my son and husband, it was the first match for South Africa after they were allowed back to play after the aparthied years.  It was between them and Western Australia.  At the last minute my husband couldn't go, so I went (under extreme duress) but to my surprise I really enjoyed myself, and now I go to all the international one-dayers here in Perth.
I remember my daughter and myself sitting at the back of the Lillee Marsh stand one year watching India -v- Australia doing our knitting (my daughter was pregnant) it was stinking hot, but we got relief from the air conditioning coming out of the VIP boxes.  However I notice the members have grabbed that stand for themselves.
I even started going to the footy last season to watch my Eagles.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 05:28:17 AM »
Sounds as if you are turning into a dinky-di sporting Aussie

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 07:42:40 AM »

Probably because its nice to actually win something for a change.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 05:08:47 PM »
C'mon People - Let me know what you are doing - we're being over-whelmed by the Area Residents Panel.

Plum, I can understand just how you feel, JWC (I do like that WC bit ) has a cheap outlet.or maybe the old " Lewisham Borough News"  charges are too high  ? . I hope he contributes towards the costs that D on L  incurrs ,or don,t you mind subsidising the group Mike ?  ( I know , I know Mike cos I do owe you too,drop me you add. again will you please              dickie...........................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

davidwcummins

• View Profile
    • Phoenix Community Housing
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »
Hello there,

If you want to know more about Downham and Bellingham, or what we are trying to.
Just click on: www.phoenixcommunityhousing.org

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 10:46:57 PM »
An interesting read, David, and you and your colleagues obviously put a huge amount of work into the Association.

Brenda

davidwcummins

• View Profile
    • Phoenix Community Housing
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 09:37:38 AM »
Hello Brenda,

Thank you for that, with other residents and myself, we have been working on this for over 3 years, we are all tenants with Lewisham Council.  We just want a bigger say in how we live and a decent home to live in. You may know, the people in Downham and Bellingham have always had to fight for what we wanted.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:44:34 AM by davidwcummins »

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 03:48:30 AM »

You Aussie Girls should be proud of your Cricket team , they are in the semi's, look good enough to win. I wont mention Englands contribution.   Smiffy :)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.