Author Topic: Chinbrook Park  (Read 14206 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Chinbrook Park
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 10:17:51 PM »
I used to work in Sundridge Avenue and used to walk there and back too, going down Southover. It was easier to do that than get to Grove Park, wait for a bus, and then still have a fair walk after that.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 12:59:11 AM »
.  My sister got a good telling off and I wet my knickers.

Bren

That would have been worth seeing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 06:10:14 PM »
Hi everyone
That started some of the grey matter working.  Yes, Bren, did get your email and will respond.
Gosh - Miss Farley and Mrs Atkins - those names bring back memories.  Lots of netball with Miss Farley and cutting up animal parts with Mrs Atkins.  No wonder I didn't take up sport of any sort or become a vet!
Can someone tell me if the green spaces by Woodbank Road/Shaw/Undershaw Road still exist.  My friends and I used to call them 'councils' - was that short for something?  They were a constant source of fun and many 'camps'.
Christine

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 08:34:23 AM »
Hallo Chris,

Yes, those green and wooded areas are still there - plainly to be seen in Google Earth.  Andree Jackson and I used to play there too.  At the Whitefoot Terrace end was a cluster of shrubs and trees that had naturally formed a 'cave'. We had great adventures there, particularly playing "The Silent Three".  Does anyone remember them from schoolgirl comics?  The leader was Betty (I think) but I have never been able to remember the names of the other two.  Any helpers out there?

Don't remember ever calling those places 'councils'.

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 08:56:43 AM »
Hallo Chris,

Yes, those green and wooded areas are still there - plainly to be seen in Google Earth.  Andree Jackson and I used to play there too.  At the Whitefoot Terrace end was a cluster of shrubs and trees that had naturally formed a 'cave'. Don't remember ever calling those places 'councils'.
Bren
You did mention those natural Arbours (the  Caves) in the greenwoods they were also refereed to as     consuls so the "Council" thing could be a verbal error, Those natural arbours were great when it rained too           dickie..................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 05:57:28 AM »
Councils/consuls - most interesting.  However, I still can't get the connection between a natural arbour and the word 'consul'.  Help please Dickie.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 06:45:10 AM »
Hallo Chris,

Yes, those green and wooded areas are still there - plainly to be seen in Google Earth.  Andree Jackson and I used to play there too.  At the Whitefoot Terrace end was a cluster of shrubs and trees that had naturally formed a 'cave'. Don't remember ever calling those places 'councils'.
Bren
You did mention those natural Arbours (the  Caves) in the greenwoods they were also refereed to as     consuls so the "Council" thing could be a verbal error, Those natural arbours were great when it rained too           dickie..................

We had 'greens' we called them Councils.  There were 3 in a row in Gareth Grove.  My friend lived 'on' one, and we woiuld play there.  Alas, we made too much noise and one of the older residents in the masonettes would chase us off.  Sad to think that I am now probably the same age as she was then.  There seemed to be these 'councils' on almost every corner.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 09:31:14 AM »
I am amazed that I never heard the greens called 'councils'  in all my Downham years.

I always thought it wonderful that every street on Downham seemed to have a little bit of green incorporated in it somewhere.  Even if it was just a small area of shrubs on a street corner, it was green and a source of adventure for me.

Does anyone remember when it was stag beetle time (whenever that is) and there would be loads of them stomping along in greens in Woodbank Road. I was always somewhat wary of them, I must admit.  And how it exciting it was to see the occasional hedgehog.

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 06:33:11 PM »
Yes Bren - I remember the stag beetles - weren't they just the biggest ever. I believe that they are in decline generally now and I remember last year there was an online survey taking place asking for sightings.  Expect some monster insect from Australia has found its way across the seas and is eating them all!! Thanks Pauline for coming up with the 'councils' as well.  Come on Bren - where were you when we were all playing in the 'councils'.
Chris

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 11:56:55 PM »
Yes Bren - I remember the stag beetles - weren't they just the biggest ever. Chris

Stag beetles - gotta laugh - you should see some of our cockroaches!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 12:03:33 AM »
Oh, how sad it would be if the stag beetles disappeared!  I hear the sparrows are also in short supply in England now.  What is going on?

Where was I when everyone was playing in the 'councils'?  Well, I was certainly playing in them (there was a smashing fairy ring in the small square green near your house) but as for using that word or knowing it in that context - I seem to have been left behind.  Weird, isn't it?  Obviously is was just another area in which my brain lagged behind the crowd!

Bren