Author Topic: Rain  (Read 6784 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Rain
« on: January 18, 2007, 09:57:46 PM »
Yes, we've had a bit of the wet stuff and very welcome it is too.  It wasn't a huge amount but it will top up the house tanks and, hopefully, put a bit more water in the underground springs that feed the dam.  We might even get a bit more today; there are plenty of black clouds about.  Of course, the humidity is now ghastly!  What is it like over your way, Pauline?

I'm told parts of London have had some more fierce winds. Does this seem to be happening more often lately?

Bren

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Re: Rain
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:50:52 AM »
Hi Bren - yes, we had fairly dramatic storms and rain yesterday. I've put some pictures up of a tree that was felled just round the corner from me, plus the traffic lights in Downham Way where some were blown off.

Link here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikejburn/DownhamBromleyKentUK

Very tragic that 10 people or so died across the UK...

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 12:17:41 AM »
Mike     We have just been through a bad snow storm with cold weather, that lot came up from the states, perhaps it blew across the pond warmed up and clouted you guys. So blame it on N. America.   Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 10:11:16 AM »
Good photos Mike.  I think the wind has turned up in Oz.  It's roaring through here like a train.  It's a bit scary with all these huge gum trees around.  After a long period of dry, they tend to suck up all this lovely rain and get top heavy and topple over or drop massive limbs.  Every time I drive down our road, I take a deep breath and say a prayer.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:00:59 PM »
Good photos Mike.  I think the wind has turned up in Oz.  It's roaring through here like a train.  It's a bit scary with all these huge gum trees around.  After a long period of dry, they tend to suck up all this lovely rain and get top heavy and topple over or drop massive limbs.  Every time I drive down our road, I take a deep breath and say a prayer.
  oh ho , said a few prayers myself this early A M in a world of white with other cars doing the most unexpected things. My car ( Dorothy's really) was absolutely marvellous,or it could have been simply the skill of the driver, and it is b....y perishing cold out, cold as the proverbial tip of a polar bears nose.            dickie.........
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 10:43:53 PM »
I've just heard from a couple of folk about the snow in England.  Looks pretty wonderful to me.  Of course, I think I have forgotten just how cold, cold can be.  I do remember snow going over the top of my wellies and sitting in school with cold, wet feet.  Wonder why I never took a spare pair of socks with me.

Most of all, of course, I remember the fun of snowballs and slides.  No doubt I have also forgotten the pain of slipping on the ice and hurting the derriere.

Drive carefully.
Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 04:29:19 AM »
I've just heard from a couple of folk about the snow in England.  Looks pretty wonderful to me.  Of course, I think I have forgotten just how cold, cold can be.  I do remember snow going over the top of my wellies and sitting in school with cold, wet feet.  Wonder why I never took a spare pair of socks with me.

Most of all, of course, I remember the fun of snowballs and slides.  No doubt I have also forgotten the pain of slipping on the ice and hurting the derriere.

Drive carefully.
Bren

We have had a big snow storm, not unusual this time of year, but there is concern now because kids & sometimes parents are tobogganing down the hill's and crashing into each other or trees & other obstacles, so the Government is considering making it mandatory for young kids to wear helmets. One child lost Her life after She hit Her head. It's blinking cold as well, the ski fans love it. I don't have to drive the bus in it anymore, thank goodness. Smiffy

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:30:28 AM »
Life is dangerous, isn't it?  Tobogganing sounds like fun - if you're brave enough.  I never did anything so exciting although, I suppose, the Hill would have lent itself to such an occupation.  Syd remembers tobogganing when he was a youngster in Lancashire.  He was a bit of a lad and has the scars to prove it.  They are his life story!

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 03:12:39 AM »

Drive carefully.
Bren

Snow?  Never happens in the west
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 03:37:41 AM »
Snow?  Never happens in the west
[/quote]

I bet you would not mind if  some snow  fell on those forest fires.   England v Australia  cricket match coming up, my moneys on England. Smiffy

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 02:16:07 AM »
Believe it or not Smiffy, it did snow in the High Country where bush-fires were raging for weeks.  Crazy, isn't it?

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 02:26:11 AM »
[

I bet you would not mind if  some snow  fell on those forest fires.   England v Australia  cricket match coming up, my moneys on England. Smiffy
[/quote]

Snow would be a novelty for the grandthings, I don't mind if I don't see it again.

England seem to be coming good.  But when the heats on the Aussies always seem to pull something out of the bag.  And remember "Don't mess with the boys from the West". (Gilchrist & Hussey).
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.