Author Topic: St Luke's Church  (Read 10575 times)

amandawr

• View Profile
    • http://www.abcottage.blogspot.com
St Luke's Church
« on: October 15, 2006, 02:24:16 PM »
Yesterday I was looking through some old papers and found my christening certificate. I was christened in St Luke's, Downham in August 1957. I looked on the net and found a little bit of info about the church and a discussion about the church hall having to be sold off, but no pictures. Can anyone still in Downham offer me a photo of the church? Amanda
Born in Shroffold Road, 1957

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: St Luke's Church
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 05:20:09 AM »
Hallo Amanda,

I've been looking for one as well.  The only ones I have are of just a bit of it with a wedding couple in front of one of the walls and in another, some neighbours standing near the ... er ... lost the word for it... the board. Have you had a look at the aerial photos Mike put on the site?  You can see the church and surrounds in that and it might be better than nothing for you and help you feel more connected.   You will also see Shroffold Road. I was thrilled to my core when I found the shots and was able to retrace my footsteps.  Oh, and if you go into Google Earth - just thought of that myself.  I shall have a look, might get a really good view of that.

Bren

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 04:55:36 PM »
Hi Amanda - here's a picture of the church - popped out on my bike just now and took it.

Have added it to the Picture Gallery - http://www.downhamonline.org.uk/photos/ - as well. Click on Downham Present, or Last Uploads from the links at the top. I will be adding a few more photos I took while I was out.

amandawr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 07:31:04 PM »
thank you so much Mike, how kind of you. many thanks. Amanda

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 12:23:07 AM »
Fantastic Mike, thank you.

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 11:31:19 PM »
And on second look, I have to say the old place looks in good nick. What's more the surrounding street looks clean and I have heard over recent years of Downham's dereliction.  Does St Luke's still organise the Harvest Festival procession and what sort of numbers now attend the church? 

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 03:18:05 PM »
Pleased to see that St Luke's hasn't changed too much (judging by the photo).  I went to Brownies and Girl Guides there and was confirmed if my memory serves me right by the Rev. David Clarke in 1957.  My brother, Don Bourne, was in the scouts at St Luke's and was possibly the first Queens Scout, I think about 1953, they had ever had along with his friend, Peter, who was eventually best man at his wedding.  He and Peter were present at the coronation in 1953 handing out programs - a job given to all Queens Scouts.  Thank you for that trip down memory lane.
Christine

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 06:48:28 AM »
Ooh Chris, what a smashing anecdote.  Now I can say I've got a friend whose brother was at the Coronation!  Did he manage to get himself into the film?  You may remember that we were all taken to the cinema from Pendragon School to watch it.  I remember being bowled over by the spectacle and the music.

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 04:07:46 PM »
Bren
Hi - this is a different way to communicate from our normal long emails (and I have just been watching Tricia - again).  I have to say I cannot remember going with the school to see the film although I do remember seeing it with someone at the SPLENDID cinema.  Your memory is obviously a lot better than mine.  No - I don't think anybody would have recognised my brother in his scouts hat - bit like trying to recognise Steve in his guards uniform (for anyone else - that's my son-in-law who is in the Band of the Irish Guards).
Chris

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 11:37:11 PM »
Sure is Chris, but we'll keep the long emails going too, eh? 

It could have been The Splendid where we saw the film although my memory has always let me down on that one.  Do you remember us (meaning the school) being walked  down to Brownhill Road to see the Queen on her post-coronation tour?  I'll never forget the sheer excitement of waiting for her to pass and that one brief glimpse and our mad cheering.  She was wearing a coat and hat of the softest and prettiest green.  This was at that time of post-war greyness and clothes were generally navy blue, grey, brown or black and very utilitarian. 

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 04:54:31 PM »
Hi Bren

Yes - I do actually remember seeing the Queen.  I thought perhaps I had only imagined it - but as you have remembered it as well then perhaps the grey matter is not as bad as I thought.  I expect the adults were more excited about seeing her than we were - I don't think as children we realised what an important person she was.  What a remarkable lady and whatever your views on the monarchy today - when we saw her again this year at Trooping the Colour and saw the wonderful reception she got by the thousands watching, it made us feel very proud and very special to have such a wonderful institution - although I suppose some would say it was just the spectacle itself that lifts our hearts.  We seem to have gone off the subject of  St Luke's Church and the way it brought lots of us together for Sunday School etc.  I wonder if the brownies/guides/cubs and scouts still meet there........
Chris

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 04:15:41 AM »
Hallo Chris,

Well, however anachronistic the monarchy might seem (and obviously, particularly so out here) in the 21st century, I still retain an affection and admiration for the Queen and an interest in the monarchical (is that really a word) system. 

The day that we went from school to see her was so exciting. I remember the boys (I shall not name them lest they read this), particularly the naughtier ones, saying they were going to boo when the Queen passed.  Ha ha.  As soon as the car appeared, they cheered with as much enthusiasm as the rest of us.  She looked so pretty.  I hardly noticed Prince Philip and of course, it was all over in a twinkling of an eye.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 05:57:52 AM »
I watched the Coronation on our TV.  Tiny little screen and in black and white.  Half the neighbours came into watch it.
I remember going to see the Queen pass by along St Mildreds Road, yes she went by in a flash, all that waiting around for a few seconds.
I too still have affection for her, although sometimes I don't think she looks as if she knows what is happening. I don't suppose the monarchy will last long when she goes.

Talking of churches - Does anyone have a picture of St Augustines at Grove Park where I was married?  And St Johns at the end of Bromley Road  (Peter Pans Pool area I think - brains dead).  My Children were baptised there.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 10:59:43 AM »
My Uncle Tom bought a television set especially for the Coronation and we went along to share the occasion with many of their neighbours.  I agree, once the Queen is gone, the monarchy will change irrevocably.  Still, the institution has weathered many changes, hasn't it?  We may yet be surprised.

I remember St John's Church but not St Augustine's.  Whereabouts in Grove Park was it?

Bren

amandawr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 06:22:25 PM »
Mike I had another look at your photo of St Lukes today and got a much bigger version of it when I went to the downham online site and looked at it there. spooky thing this but the lady in the photo on the left by the tree looks very much like me!!! Amanda