Author Topic: Robertsons Jam Factory & Glennifer Laundry  (Read 20352 times)

maureen

• View Profile
Robertsons Jam Factory & Glennifer Laundry
« on: February 22, 2006, 11:02:22 AM »
I remember going from door to door asking for old jam jars to take back to the factory, me and my brothers used to take an old pram full and I think we got a penny a jar in those days. Mum worked there for a while and then the laundry, where she did an early evening shift, she and her mate held the record for folding 1000 sheets a night.

Does anyone remember the "hump" we used to call it over the far side of Durham Hill playing fields, we used to get an old milk crate and go sliding down there and quite often hit the railings at the bottom, also the steep pathway between the two fields, we used to put a book on top of an old roller skate and boy you could you go a fair rate of knots down there to the bottom, where the doctors surgery was.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 04:13:04 AM »
Quote from: maureen
I remember going from door to door asking for old jam jars to take back to the factory, me and my brothers used to take an old pram full and I think we got a penny a jar in those days. Mum worked there for a while and then the laundry, where she did an early evening shift, she and her mate held the record for folding 1000 sheets a night.

Does anyone remember the "hump" we used to call it over the far side of Durham Hill playing fields, we used to get an old milk crate and go sliding down there and quite often hit the railings at the bottom, also the steep pathway between the two fields, we used to put a book on top of an old roller skate and boy you could you go a fair rate of knots down there to the bottom, where the doctors surgery was.

Boy have you brought back memorys,the hump on the hill was where an anti-aircraft gun stood in those days, 50's, you could still see the marks where it stood, rolling down the pathway on roller skates and a piece of wood to sit on. What about those jam jars we used to collect them before firework night so as we could buy bangers  I did post a picture of me and a lot of other kids leaning over the rail by the toilets after a light aircraft landed on the left side there,about 1954 probably Kentish Mercury picture, the same side where the allotments used to be my Dad had an allotment there and there are two tree's still standing in the middle near the spot, good old fresh veg. Dickie our Downham historian do you remember the anti aircraft gun I'm not insinuating you are old far be it but you may have actually seen it, or know a little more about it. Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 12:47:36 AM »
Quote from: JSmith
[quote="maureen
Does anyone remember the "hump" we used to call it , where the doctors surgery was.

Boy have you brought back memorys,the hump on the hill was where an anti-aircraft gun stood in those days, 50's, you could still see the marks where it stood, rolling down the pathway on roller skates and a piece of wood to sit on. Dickie our Downham historian do you remember the anti aircraft gun I'm not insinuating you are old far be it but you may have actually seen it, or know a little more about it. Smiffy[/quote]
       Smiffy mate that hump was called the"Pimple" and the soil came from where they dug out the  entrance to Durham Hill mid-entrance, the surgery was Dr. Bee The army may well have made use of the Pimple to support an Ack Ack gun during the war  but I wouldn't have thought it very stable as most of the guns were mobile types.My kid brother joe lived in the flats just up from therew in Downham Way.    dickie................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Robertsons Jam Factory & Glennifer Laundry
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 10:54:33 AM »

Oh yes,That Pathway was the conjunction between Durham Hill and -------- Durham Hill ,the short stretch going on across Churchdown past St Barnabas . That "Doctors Surgery " would have been the Clinic where you braked hard and did a 90  degree right (starboard ) then a 90degree to Port to get round the railings and into Churchdown
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Glennifer Laundry
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 01:06:16 AM »
I have been thinking!!!! (it's ok i feel ok now i took an asprin ),  the laundry was between the jam factory and the bus garage was it, then they knocked it down and built the Lewisham Library, then i remember stewart & arden the car dealer, gailbraith & son engineer, then the little rickett coleman place, just at the corner of Randlesdown road, I think thats how it went, i was a postman at catford , but old age i forget things,? . Where was i? never mind time for a cuppa tea, i'll put the kettle on.  Smiffy

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 04:45:20 AM »
I remember going from door to door asking for old jam jars to take back to the factory, me and my brothers used to take an old pram full and I think we got a penny a jar in those days. Mum worked there for a while and then the laundry, where she did an early evening shift, she and her mate held the record for folding 1000 sheets a night..

I had an Aunt and a cousin who worked at Robertsons.  My Dad told me that the little paper gollywogs in the top of the jars were put there especially for me!  As a smallie one of the things to look out for when we came back from my Grand parents house in Walworth on the bus was the lit up golly on the front of the factory.  The other thing to look for was to see if the roof of the Hoppodrome in Rushey Green was open.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:27:28 PM »
That's right Smiffy near the old Catford Bus Garage, now you've started me thinking about long gone relatives who worked at the Garage, I suppose that's gone now then. Same as Sidcup Bus Garage near where I work now that was knocked down years ago for new office blocks. Elmers End too now thinking about it, that's been gone for donkeys years, built flats there. That's progress I suppose.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 09:30:37 PM »

Does anyone remember the "hump" we used to call it over the far side of Durham Hill playing fields,

We called it 'the pimple' as per Dickie's memories.  But whatever it was called, it added to the fun and games of childhood, didn't it?  The path that ran through the middle of the park seemed so perilous when on the old roller skates.  I wonder if it would seem as steep now.  Roly-polys down the hill was always a favourite pastime as was collecting buttercups and making daisy chains.  I loved being over the hill (in the best sense of the phrase!) and pretending I was way out in the countryside. 

I do remember the plane that crash-landed there and was thrilled to bits when Smiffy put his photo on the site. 

My mother also worked in Robertsons Jam Factory for a while - probably in the late 50s or early 60s.  Perhaps our relatives knew each other.  I wouldn't be surprised.  I loved looking at the factory gardens also those of the laundry.  They were kept so well-tended, weren't they?

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 08:03:18 AM »
Hiya Brenda, I love reading everybody's memories of Downham, my Mum used to get us three all ready for bed and then off she'd go to Glennifer Laundry, like all the Mums in those days they worked themselves to death almost didn't they, she'd go out about 8 and get back when we were all fast asleep. Her and her mate held the record of being able to hand fold 1,000 sheets a night! I don't ever remember her being able to bring home any jam though but of course when she had a job at the Pascalls factory we get a few mis-shapes, those lovely toffee almonds - yum.

I used to book an old book on one roller skate and whiz down that hill between the playing fields and we were very lucky as our back garden in Shroffold went straight into the field, we'd just lift up the railing and off we'd go for the day.  We used to gather all the grass cuttings and make it into a little house with all separate rooms, mind you it was only a few inches high as you can imagine and we'd take the old gramaphone player out with our 78's, Davey, Davey Crockett King of the Wild Frontier.

Oh well back to work and stop this reminiscing.

Bye for now

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 08:57:50 PM »
 like all the Mums in those days they worked themselves to death almost didn't they, she'd go out about 8 and get back when we were all fast asleep.
 Davey, Davey Crockett King of the Wild Frontier.

Our mothers were magnificent women and is there anything they didn't turn their hands to? Knitting, darning, mending, making (and making-do), cooking, cleaning etc.  Not to mention those who held down outside jobs as well in order to pay the bills, often taking on the most menial jobs that they must have loathed.  My mother was a cleaner at Durham Hill School for many years and none of the equipment was motor driven in those days!

I can see that I am going to be singing 'Davey, Davey Crockett ... ' all day long! 

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 11:56:23 PM »

I can see that I am going to be singing 'Davey, Davey Crockett ... ' all day long! 

Drat - but it puts Bob the Builder out of my head.   (Buying gifts for grandsons)
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 04:10:11 AM »
Some thing that allways comes to mind for me, is that they did all of those things and more, and had to suffer through enemy planes and rockets flying over making a terrible noise and then exploding.WW11 was a nasty part of our parents life. Smiffy

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 04:03:43 PM »
Thinking back now, the grey cells have really started to kick in since joining the site, what wonderful memories!!! my sister used to work at Robertsons Jam Factory think she was possibly 16??? and my husband Steve when he left the Forces he was a Bus Driver for a while and he worked from Catford Garage and did the route through to Sydenham!! then we left and moved to Norfolk.

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 11:04:52 AM »
Hi Sue, just found where you lived in Dagonet Gardens, you were only a turning off of Shroffold weren't you, I'm terrible for remembering street names.

Snowdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
Hi Maureen, yes I was thats okay I do it all the time with names etc. I had a schoolfriend who went to Pendragon with me and she lived in Shroffold Rd, her name was Sylvia Guildford all I can remember about her that she was incredibly tall (unless I was incredibly short for my age) which I wasn't and she had loads of brothers and sisters and her dad was huge and her mum was tiny....and my brother had a mate called Smudge or Smiffy and he lived in Shroffold Rd, I will speak to my brother and see if he can shed any light on different things because he is about 11 years older than me....