Author Topic: wakey wakey !  (Read 5032 times)

dickie eagle

wakey wakey !
« on: December 10, 2005, 10:06:57 PM »
Everyone is out doing Christmas shopping. Now please don't spend more than a "Tenner" on my Christmas present as I would be soooo-o-o very embarrassed , I'd be delighted to go down East Street in the morning to get the stocking fillers but am told it is full of Asian gentlemen seeling cheap badly made T-shirts and even equally awful but cheap T-shirts ,  full report cming later,used to enjoy going up the "other end" to visit relatives and buy my weekly Bing Crosby 78's  (Anyone saying "Bing who ?" will be drummed out pronto )  and Pauline we are getting mornings with zero degrees temperature  and cars absolutey iced up ,plus the heavy mists rolling in off the river. As a boy that used to be the best part of New Year the mists and the nostalgia of Ships sirens on the river . Another New Year on its way,and oh thats two years since Keith left us , time is going fast these days,or else there is too much to do and I can't get it all in Eh ?  (Bel, stop grinning cos I wont rephrase that last remark X  )       bye for a while   dickie......................

Bren4

Re: wakey wakey !
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 08:55:27 PM »
Quote from: dickie  eagle
thats two years since Keith left us , time is going fast these days,or else there is too much to do

Hard to believe Dickie, isn't it?  And he is still very much missed by all of us, I know.
As for Xmas shopping, well, I don't have much to do these days. The grandchildren all want money (and have so much anyway that I wouldn't know what to buy them) and Syd and I don't go in for presents these days.  I'll make a cheesecake and we'll toast absent friends and loved ones on the day and that will be the extent of our Christmas celebrations.  I even missed the local Christmas service this year.  
Swap you your icy-misty mornings for today's howling wind.  One of our favourite trees is now in a collapse heap in the garden and how the gum trees along the road are standing I don't know.  I expect the power will go off any minute now.  The noise of high winds really scares me.
Hay-making is finished, no major machinery breakdowns but Syd got a barley seed in his ear which necessitated a trip to the local hospital for removal.  
Bye for now
Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 08:08:01 AM »
Quote from: Bren4
thats two years since Keith left us , time is going fast these days,or else there is too much to do

Hard to believe Dickie, isn't it?  And he is still very much missed by all of us, I know.
As for Xmas shopping, well, I don't have much to do these days. The grandchildren all want money (and have so much anyway that I wouldn't know what to buy them) and Syd and I don't go in for presents these days.  I'll make a cheesecake and we'll toast absent friends and loved ones on the day and that will be the extent of our Christmas celebrations.  I even missed the local Christmas service this year.  
Swap you your icy-misty mornings for today's howling wind.  One of our favourite trees is now in a collapse heap in the garden and how the gum trees along the road are standing I don't know.  I expect the power will go off any minute now.  The noise of high winds really scares me.
Hay-making is finished, no major machinery breakdowns but Syd got a barley seed in his ear which necessitated a trip to the local hospital for removal.  
Bye for now
Bren

Brenda - I'm so fed up with this weather.  What has happened?  Rellies came from England via Thailand (where it rained) Brisbane (Where it stormed) and then to us - so I blamed them.  Then I put them on the Indian Pacific last Wednesday to Adelaide where they are now basking on the beach.  My only pleasure was that the journey for  them was horrendous, only 6 hours sleep in 40 hours.  But they are young and could cope.  Made a mental note to get a cabin or the plane.

But I can say with all honesty I don't miss the snow, mist, cold and windchill.  I don't miss the steam coming out of my clothes when I am shopping.  I don't miss the frozen fingers, and the pain when they thaw out.  
I do miss chocolate that tastes like chocolate, jaffa cakes, Haywards Pickled onions (the ones that bite back) and drivers who know what they are doing.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Bren4

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 09:00:06 PM »
Quote from: Pauline

Brenda - I'm so fed up with this weather.  What has happened?   I don't miss the frozen fingers, and the pain when they thaw out.  
I do miss chocolate that tastes like chocolate, jaffa cakes, Haywards Pickled onions (the ones that bite back) and drivers who know what they are doing.

One winter, I was waiting for a bus outside Lewisham Hospital for so long that when it did come, I was just about frozen solid.  I couldn't move fast enough to get  on and it went without me!  However, I do find it easier to warm up than cool down and the heat is knocking me for six.  Cool day today though after yet another night of high winds.  Ah Pauline, I see you have the same opinion of Australian confectionery as I do.  Awful stuff, isn't it? Fortunately, I'm not a chocaholic.  Have you tried Lindt?  That's pretty good chocolate and one or two squares satisfies the cravings.  I miss the 'sharp' sweets such as acid jobs and aniseed twists and that sort of thing.  Everything is far too sweet out here.  Yes, the pickles too.  

Just in case I'm not back on the site for a while (computer and connection problems yet again) I'll wish you all a very happy Xmas now.

Bren

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 11:18:15 PM »
Hard to believe Dickie, isn't it?  And he is still very much missed by all of us, I know
Hay-making is finished, no major machinery breakdowns but Syd got a barley seed in his ear which means he is now known as "Granary Syd" eh?
Bye for now Bren
            It's nice you can go into yuletide even if it's not too festive, you have a demanding vocation Plum so you both deserve a break. And congratulations and happy Birthday wishes, you can now have that Senior Citizens status at last  , 26 now, is it ?        Lots of love, (leave some for Bel ) X X X    dickie .......................

Smudger

Jingle Bells
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 08:44:56 PM »
Pauline wrote:    I do miss chocolate that tastes like chocolate, jaffa cakes, Haywards Pickled onions (the ones that bite back) and drivers who know what they are doing.

Pauline,  Dont you miss the Rock Salmon & Chips?.Bangers & Mash?

Ok one liner:

Man goes to the Doctor
"I have a  cricket ball stuck up my bum"
"Hows that"
"Dont you start"

Merry Christmas Smiffy

Anonymous

Re: Jingle Bells
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 12:16:12 AM »
Quote from: Smudger
Pauline wrote:    I do miss chocolate that tastes like chocolate, jaffa cakes, Haywards Pickled onions (the ones that bite back) and drivers who know what they are doing.

Pauline,  Dont you miss the Rock Salmon & Chips?.Bangers & Mash?
 Smudge the old "Tuppenny and a Pen'orth" now costs nearly a Fiver. Dickie...............................
Ok one liner:

Man goes to the Doctor
"I have a  cricket ball stuck up my bum"
"Hows that"
"Dont you start"

Merry Christmas Smiffy