Author Topic: The Tigers Head - Southend Lane  (Read 9058 times)

maureen

• View Profile
The Tigers Head - Southend Lane
« on: March 20, 2006, 02:20:02 PM »
I was just thinking of some of the best places that I used to go to see bands in the mid-60's, how many of you remember going to the Tigers Head. They had The Merseybeats, Them (the singer was Van Morrison), I remember my friend snipping off a chunk of his hair as a souvenir, think he could with it back now!! Bromley Court Hotel was another good venue, The Animals etc and of course the best of all Lewisham Odean, first time I saw The Stones was there in 1964, we paid 4 shillings and me and my mate were in the front row, excellent it was. In those days there was no real top of the bill, they were all big groups I have a list a mile long but most memorable were The Who, Kinks, Manfred Mann, Searchers, Ike & Tina Turner, Yardbirds, Zombies and many many others.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Tigers Head - Southend Lane
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:58:12 PM »
Quote from: maureen
I was just thinking of some of the best places that I used to go to see bands in the mid-60's, how many of you remember going to the Tigers Head. They had The Merseybeats, Them (the singer was Van Morrison), I remember my friend snipping off a chunk of his hair as a souvenir, think he could with it back now!! Bromley Court Hotel was another good venue, The Animals etc and of course the best of all Lewisham Odean, first time I saw The Stones was there in 1964, we paid 4 shillings and me and my mate were in the front row, excellent it was. In those days there was no real top of the bill, they were all big groups I have a list a mile long but most memorable were The Who, Kinks, Manfred Mann, Searchers, Ike & Tina Turner, Yardbirds, Zombies and many many others.
Maureen, you are way out of my league Hun, the Tigers Head I knew disappeared with a big BANG in 1943. The "Musical " (?) tpes you mention my kids might know although my daughter had a crush on Arthur (AJ) Cutler so I had to put up with the "Mangel Wurzels" Oh yes there was an up and coming young man Bing Crosby who sang like me ! met him twice too.      dickie.............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 05:32:11 AM »
Zombies and many many others.

I just loved the Zombies.  I had a CD "The best of the Zombies" it went mising a year or two ago, and I asked my children if they had borrowed it (one aged 40 the other aged 36) and they just looked at me, and told my husband to watch me 'cos i was losing it!.
But then my daughter phoned and told me my grandson had borrowed it (He's 10) and she was extra concerned because she had heard him in the shower singing Layla at the top of his voice.  And to crown it all, my granddaughter (aged 14) knew all the words to 'Lazy Sunday Afternoon'.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 08:44:48 AM »
Quote from: Pauline
Zombies and many many others.

I just loved the Zombies.  I had a CD "The best of the Zombies" it went mising a year or two ago, and I asked my children if they had borrowed it (one aged 40 the other aged 36) and they just looked at me, and told my husband to watch me 'cos i was losing it!.
But then my daughter phoned and told me my grandson had borrowed it (He's 10) and she was extra concerned because she had heard him in the shower singing Layla at the top of his voice.  And to crown it all, my granddaughter (aged 14) knew all the words to 'Lazy Sunday Afternoon'.
Yep! I know the feeling. I was strolling through the main precinct in Amersfoort with my granddaughter  aged 5 holding my hand  when she started singing loud and clear  " ALICE, WHO THE F*** IS ALICE "the unexpurgated version !   even the Dutch shoppers flinched      dickie..................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 08:44:57 AM »
I hope I haven't sent this a few times as my boss keeps coming out and I'm clicking in and out of it!!  I was wondering Dickie if the "New" Tigers Head was on the same site as the old one you remember?

Pauline not sure if you get Planet Rock in your part of the world but you'll hear loads of 60's music on there and I'm sure your grandchildren will  enjoy it too. I've got Lazy Sunday in my head now, gonna be singing that all day.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 04:49:42 PM »
I hope I haven't sent this a few times as my boss keeps coming out and I'm clicking in and out of it!!  I was wondering Dickie if the "New" Tigers Head was on the same site as the old one you remember?
Yes Mo, it is on the very same site,it does seem to have developed its own character . Some of the older pubs have undergone transformation which is an improvement, Downham Tavern  is a disaster though because the original had a Saloon bar (In the Book of Records as having the longest Bar in the United Kingdom) ,Public bar, Off-licence, Music Hall  (Theatre & Stage), Tea Rooms, plus a large well kept Garden . Now ? its just a wee ordinary pub.          dickie.....................

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 07:58:43 AM »
My youngest brother used to go to the Downham Tavern when he was a teenager they had a club called The Bal Tabarin (not correct spelling I'm sure), it's a wonder they haven't turned it into a McDonalds like they did with the Garden Gate.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
the atavern
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 08:33:08 AM »
My youngest brother used to go to the Downham Tavern when he was a teenager they had a club called The Bal Tabarin (not correct spelling I'm sure), it's a wonder they haven't turned it into a McDonalds like they did with the Garden Gate.
                    Bal Tabarin ! haven't heard that for ages, I'm not certain what laguage it is, probably French, means  Tavern Ballroom and it was waiter service in the saloon bar ,the waters wore evening dress and black bow ties. Completely out of place in a working mans estate. Which is probably why I decided never to work in my whole life (GG) and the garden is a co-op superstore.    dickie................

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Lewisham Odeon Pop Concerts
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 01:52:37 AM »
Quote/The Animals etc and of course the best of all Lewisham Odean, first time I saw The Stones was there in 1964.

I saw the Beatles at the Lewisham Odeon, the first time they where on stage half way through the program, giving way to Tommy Roe,Del Shannon, and some others I have forgot, the next time I saw them they where top of the bill, and I cant remember any of the other acts, the 2nd time I saw them was far more exspensive than the first. I remember seeing Roy Orbison.  The thing that really bugs me now is that I did not keep the programs and the half torn admission ticket. I know the girls where screeming so loud when the Beatles came on you could hardly hear them . Rock'Roll Smiffy :D
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 08:09:50 AM »
My auntie queued all morning to try and get tickets for me and my mate to see The Beatles, she rang me at work to say she couldn't get them. I cried all day and like you say Smiffy if only we'd kept the tickets.  I had a maracca that I picked up off stage when I saw The Stones in 64 and my Mum in law worked with Bill Wyman's Mum and she got me all the autographs, Brian Jones as well of course but over the years these precious things get lost don't they.  Shame we can't find a list somewhere of all the performers that were actually at Lewisham Odeon, we seemed to see everybody in those days. Justin Halls, West Wickham was a great little venue for local bands, The Pretty Things, had a crush on the lead singer, Phil May, in those days. The Downliners, The Herd.

Still a headbanger at 59!!!