Author Topic: Property prices in Downham.  (Read 4985 times)

Graham

• View Profile
    • Email
Property prices in Downham.
« on: May 15, 2005, 11:29:11 PM »
My father passed away in Dunstable  late last year and his house was listed with a local Estate Agent.

Not being familiar with property prices in England I checked out the local realators via     www.findaproperty.co.uk   and was very surprised at the prices I saw.

My next step was to check out the Downham area which I thought you might like to see if you too are out of touch with property prices.

Here are the steps that I took....  www.findaproperty.co.uk
Click on London (south of the river)   Click on Bromley & Bexley
Scroll down to Downham......Suprise ! !

Maybe some past residents will recognise some of the roads and dwellings.

My question is " How can young couples looking for their own home afford those prices let alone pay the rent that is being asked for?"

As an added note.... My parents moved into a new semi-detatched bungalow in 1966 for 3,00 pounds.....it is listed at 255,00 pounds.

Just think...when I was a kid I would take 36 bus ride for  1d to the Hippadrome, go up into the 'Gods' for 3d or 6d and watch Tommy Trinder play Carman Mirada and back home for another penny..... Those were the days.

I would love to buy you all a 6d pint. but would probably have to remortgage my house at todays prices for beer ....LOL. Take care,   Graham A
Graham A

Bren4

Property prices
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 10:45:47 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your father Graham, it's a tough time when parents go, no matter how old they are or how old we are.

Like you, I was shocked to discover the cost of housing on Downham.  I found some familiar places on the Real Estate website.  A house in Durham Hill where I was brought up is fetching 185,000pounds.  I just don't get it.  The houses are obviously not worth it in bricks and mortar so it must be a scarcity of land that pushes the prices up, surely?  Or are all wages phenomenally high?  

Brenda

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Property prices in Downham.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 12:58:08 AM »
Quote from: Graham
My father passed away in Dunstable  late last year and his house was listed with a local Estate Agent.
Not being familiar with property prices in England I checked out the local realators via     www.findaproperty.co.uk   and was very surprised at the pricesMy question is " How can young couples looking for their own home afford those prices let alone pay the rent that is being asked for?"
As an added note.... My parents moved into a new semi-detatched bungalow in 1966 for 3,00 pounds.....it is listed at 255,00 pounds.
,   Graham A
                Yep! house prices are probably the major part of inflation in uk. the sad bit is the labour government's concern to build houses at cheaper prices for Teachers and Nurses who,by the nature of their vocation, are peripatatic and will create a new entrepreneur of peple who will move around within ther work area getting a cheap house, selling at a profit then moving on to their next appointment and another cheap home. The hard grafting Blue collars will still be shelling out Ah well ce la vie    dickie.............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
Property prices on Downham
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 07:30:51 AM »
I looked at that webiste.  Saw a couple for sale in Geraint Road, but couldn't say I recognised them.. One was 81 Geraint Road, which was the opposite side to me, the other one looked decidedly tacky.  And the price was unbelievable 172,000 pounds, works out at about  $412,000.  For that price here in Perth you could buy a huge house, modern and airy with a huge amount of living space.  4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a lounge, dining room, kitchen, study, activity room, swimming pool, air conditioning, heating and heaps more. AND SUN!!!!!!
But I will say that the houses on Downham were well built, or so my Dad would tell me.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Property prices on Downham
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 09:04:46 PM »
Quote from: Pauline
I looked at that webiste.  Saw a couple for sale in Geraint Road, but couldn't say I recognised them.. One was 81 Geraint Road, which was the opposite side to me, the other one looked decidedly tacky.  And the price was unbelievable 172,000 pounds, .
  you can certainly brag about the cost of housing in the sunshine coast of Oz. they were very cheap when I had the opportunity, though the corregated metal roofing put me off. Most of UK prices are costed on Labour charges, a Bricklayer costs 100 a day and lays about 700/ 750 bricks ! (and he needs a mate !) . by the way that Ms Phyllis Cakebread lives near your old place in 78 I think. can  I ask what your Maiden name was ?          dickie .........................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Property prices on Downham
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 04:23:28 AM »
Quote from: Dick Eagle
Quote from: Pauline
I looked at that webiste.  Saw a couple for sale in Geraint Road, but couldn't say I recognised them.. One was 81 Geraint Road, which was the opposite side to me, the other one looked decidedly tacky.  And the price was unbelievable 172,000 pounds, .
  you can certainly brag about the cost of housing in the sunshine coast of Oz. they were very cheap when I had the opportunity, though the corregated metal roofing put me off. Most of UK prices are costed on Labour charges, a Bricklayer costs 100 a day and lays about 700/ 750 bricks ! (and he needs a mate !) . by the way that Ms Phyllis Cakebread lives near your old place in 78 I think. can  I ask what your Maiden name was ?          dickie .........................

My maiden name was Moorby.  
Mum and Dad move4d to Geraint Road in about 1937 or thereabouts, and said they were surrounded by fields.
Lots of houses on the east coast of Oz are timber framed, which makes them cheaper, but here in Western Australia they are mostly all brick and tile.  Used to be on quarter acre blocks, but nowdays most new blocks are around 700sqM.  We bought our seven and half acres way back when land where I am was cheap.  Nowdays we are being enveloped by the metropolitan city limits, and so our prices have gone up.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.