Author Topic: Coparisons  (Read 3685 times)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Coparisons
« on: May 21, 2005, 01:26:38 AM »
I appear to qualify for a "Grumpy old Git "award,after discussing the different life styles we had respectively with grandchildren . As a kid I walked everywhere I wanted to go, or beg for an all-day ticket as passengers got off the tram. The children today expect to be taken by a parent in the family car,that is until they are seventeen (still at school !) when they expect daddy to give them a car. And WORK sacrilage ! they are above that mundane sort of thing and the boys are all going to be highly paid footballers, or pop singers, and "Oh NO ! You don't pay to live at Home " (And they still expect pocket money , and feeding, and clothing , " Oh no not those trainers they are cheapies and not fashionable, we wannt the expensive ones ! !) With little excercise and a poor diet we will probably outlive them eh ? ....Dickie...........
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Bel

• View Profile
Coparisons
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 10:55:42 AM »
:lol: How right you are Dickie;  was  thinking this yesterday when I got  on a bus coming back from Bexleyheath. A couple of young mums (about 16) got on the bus and were going one stop (complete with very large hooded push chairs) . Demanded rather than asked that elderly passengers moved so that they could put the pushchairs onto the bus.  Stuffed   the children with sweets and pop, threw the papers  on the floor and then got off. I remember walking  miles with my children  every day with the pram, and thought nothing  of walking from Lewisham to Downham. Best wishes Bel

Pauline

• View Profile
Grumpy old gits one and all
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 07:39:34 AM »
Me too, I'm a grumpy old gran.  A few weeks back my granddaughter (aged 12) got off the bus from school, and phoned her Mum (Mobile of course) to come down in the car to pick her up (all of 500 yards), because it was too hot and she'd had a really bad day! I suppose it was 38 deg.
And yesterday, the same thing because it was raining!
I walked from Geraint Road, to the bus stop on Downham Way at the end of Launcelot Road and then when I got off the bus walk up Downderry to school. Wind, rain, hail snow, sleet you name it.  AND if I missed the bus, WALK!! Mum and Dad didn't have a car until I was 15.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.