Author Topic: Anti Smoking  (Read 3555 times)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Anti Smoking
« on: March 11, 2005, 12:03:37 AM »
Over here in Canuck land we are having a revolution , no more smoking because of 2nd hand smoke causing people to get lung cancer, I am a Pipe smoker myself, I will not disclose the ingrediants even to you dickie. I dont think tobacco is the only source for this ,any case, point is, loads of Pubs and restaurants have had to close down here because people cannot smoke in public places. Is this the reason why places like the Garden Gate had to close?.   Smudger Smiff
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

ddickie

Re: Anti Smoking
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 08:07:31 AM »
Quote from: JSmith
Over here in Canuck land we are having a revolution , no more smoking because of 2nd hand smoke causing people to get lung cancer, I am a Pipe smoker myself. I dont think tobacco is the only source for this ,any case, point is, loads of Pubs and restaurants have had to close down here because people cannot smoke in public places. Is this the reason why places like the Garden Gate had to close?.   Smudger Smiff
Smudge, "Passive"smoking (inhaing other peoples fumes )does have problemsI remember the ceiling in our flat being brownish especially over my Fathers chair.My younger brother died from cancer, my Dad died from cancer.I'm not sure why the budgie breathed its last but it did!, Trouble is that as kids we associated these fumes with familiar things and in a way they were comforting. We were blissfully not aware.  most Pubs now sell more food than drink and at home we don't smoke at the table so the no smoking thing became an issue and pubs takingthebrunt                                                                                   ah well. we can't live forever      dickie                                                                                                                                                  

Bren4

Smoking
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 09:15:15 PM »
My father was a chain-smoker.  Every photo we have of him, he has that blasted cigarette in his nicotine stained hands.  He had what they called chronic bronchitis then, I believe it was probably emphysema.  He had very high blood pressure and ultimately congestive cardiac failure and died of a massive stroke when he was 53years old.  I am pretty sure the cigarettes helped put him in an early grave.  Our house stunk of stale cigarettes and I daresay we did too.  
I did play with the ciggies when I was around 23-25years and again from about 27-30years.  Mind you, a packet could last me a week and I really don't know why I ever bothered.  I gave up when I found my 14year old daughter was smoking.  I said would she give up if I did.  I did and she didn't.  That's some 30 years ago and I've never had nor wanted a ciggie since.
There are smoking bans in public places here now too Smiffy.  I guess it's a world-wide trend although I believe the French are fighting it.
Brenda

dickie eagle

Re: Smoking
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 11:50:17 PM »
Quote from: Bren4
My father was a chain-smoker.  Every photo we have of him, he has that blasted cigarette in his nicotine stained hands.  He had .  
I did play with the ciggies when I was around 23-25years and again from about 27-30years.  Mind you, a packet could last me a week and I really don't know why I ever bothered.  I gave up .  That's some 30 years ago and I've never had nor wanted a ciggie Brenda
               Bully for you Bren. Syd probably appreciated it too!, I remember not taking a girl home simply because kissing her was like licking an ashtray, loveley kid too but I did pick up the habit which lasted until 1974 when I gave up (that's 31 years ago) and with Ciggies nearing 5 a pack of 20 its not likely the habit will resume  Dickie  .................X

Pauline

• View Profile
anti smoking
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 07:33:17 AM »
My Dad was a chain smoker too, you will recall in those days it wasn't harmful to your health  :D .  Every winter I was in bed with bronchitis.  The room stank, and my poor Mum was always washing her curtains, and making Dad whitewash the ceiling.
Here in Perth there are quite strict smoking laws.  No smoking in almost every building.  No smoking where people are eating.  Here at the University Campus there is no smoking in the buildings of course, and none in walkways.  There are moves afoot to ban smoking altogether on campus, which won't be so bad because hopefully the youngsters will benefit.
My husband Peter used to smoke, but the kids finally wore him down.  My children do not smoke, possible because I never did.  I have no objection to smokers, except when they are near me.
Peter says I have zero tolerance where smoking is concerned.  
But my Dad eventually died a nasty lingering death due to cancer, and I would not wish that on anyone whether they wanted my concern or not.
Hey Ho! that's enough for a Wednesday. Two more sleeps to easter and all those lovely eggs.  You will see my zero tolerance does not extend to CHOCOLATE!!!!!
 :oops:  :oops:
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.