Author Topic: What is this world coming to?  (Read 11932 times)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
What is this world coming to?
« on: February 27, 2005, 04:29:14 AM »
:cry: Now I have just found out through several sources, not H P or Heinze, that the building that stood on the corner of old bromley rd known as the Garden gate, is now been turned into a ( I hope its not true) a m m m mc mc mcdonalds.....   Sorry I can't write any more I'm to upset. Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
The end is Nigh
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 04:34:20 AM »
:cry: A lovely English pub turned into a ruddy macdonalds, First it was the dancing palace then the Cinemas all changed to something else, now this.......sorry I have got to stop ,it's too much.  Smiffy.

Derek Durrant.

Garden Gate Pub.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 04:53:28 AM »
Smithy,thankyou for your comments on my brother working at "Catford Post Office".Oddly he lived opposite the "Garden Gate" for many years on Bromley Hill,prior to his death.I was in the "Garden Gate "the day it opened,with my father and they served free beer all morning if I remember rightly.My own hang out was the "Black Horse" at Catford,next to Timpson,s Coach station,is it still there I wonder?.Incidently my brother served in the RAF in "India" for much of the second world war.

dickie eagle

Re: Garden Gate Pub.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 03:27:55 PM »
Quote from: Derek Durrant.
Smithy,thankyou for your comments on my brother working at "Catford Post Office".Oddly he lived opposite the "Garden Gate" for many years on Bromley Hill,prior to his death.I was in the "Garden Gate "the day it opened,with my father and they served free beer all morning if I remember rightly.My own hang out was the "Black Horse" at Catford,next to Timpson,s Coach station,is it still there I wonder?.Incidently my brother served in the RAF in "India" for much of the second world war.
I tried to envisage that pub Derek, but wasn't it "The Black Horse and Harrow " or something across from St. Lawrences Church, (outside which was old man Plowmans wooden shack selling marvellous sausage sandwiches, mmmm!.) on one of my last visits to Catford socially there was a Shoot-out across the High Street from the Albany Club area across to the "Rising Sun" . Even the old Hippodrome has gone and I remember taking an old flame there to see Max Miller performing. happy days !    Dickie...................

Derek Durrant.

What is this world coming to.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 04:58:51 AM »
Dickie,you are probably right about the correct name of the "Black Horse" at "Catford",what a fountain of knowledge you have,I have difficulty in remembering where I live these days.Been getting TV reports on the UK weather [I coudnt take it mate,it would kill me].In saying that weather here in "Adelaide,South Australia" today36c [approx 100f] ,,and that can be a bit wearisome.,thank God for air conditioning.Must be something about being an old "Downhamite",you seem to always remember your early days and events of that time.Good to read other peoples experiences tho;.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Black Horse Pub
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 09:39:36 PM »
I used to drop the wife off near the Black Horse She took typing lessons with the Swiss School of Typing above the pub., so of course I had to wait and what better place than the Public bar with a pint of luvely double diamond, Ind Coops legacy to the world of beer, (After Sheperd & Neames of course). Around the back of the Pub was where Timsons Garaged His coaches. Is there still a road way going throughn the building just there where the coaches used to come out on to Rushey Green?.
Smudge.

dickie eagle

Re: Black Horse Pub
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 11:27:57 PM »
Quote from: JSmith
I used to drop the wife off near the Black Horse She took typing lessons with the Swiss School of Typing above the pub., so of course I had to wait and what better place than the Public bar with a pint of luvely double diamond, Ind Coops legacy to the world of beer, (After Sheperd & Neames of course). Around the back of the Pub was where Timsons Garaged His coaches. Is there still a road way going throughn the building just there where the coaches used to come out on to Rushey Green?.
Smudge.
Didn't use that pub Smudge,I prefered the "Castle" a bit further down opposite Rushey Green, My Mum and Dad used to enjoy their days outings with Timpsons, they had the first of the "Dorsal Fin " ventilators on the coaches. One other name comes to mind and that is "Cominetti's restaurant down near Harpers pawn-brokers shop.. I'm off to bed, to sleep, perchance to dream eh!  dickie.......

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 10:21:41 AM »
Where  the Plassy Road School used to be at the back of the old Timpsons there is now a big McDonalds. There is a proper "walk way" with flats built over the last 3 years and a Lidells and a few other shops.  There is also a Bingo Hall and a car park. I must say Catford has changed over the last few years and when I left  18 months ago  I was definitely in the minority as to colour and without exception every house that went on the market in the road  that I lived in was bought by foreigners. Bel

dickie eagle

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 10:21:30 PM »
Smithy,thankyou for your comments on my brother working at "Catford Post Office".Oddly he lived opposite the "Garden Gate" for many years on Bromley Hill,.Incidently my brother served in the RAF in "India" for much of the second world war.
I have just realised where the"Garden Gate " pub was and wasn't there a couple of Aluminium semi's across the road on Bromley Hill,? there was also a small shop called "The Cake Box" just around the corner and the manageress lived near Smiffy in the first house on the right in Wrenthorpe Rd, her name was Eileen Chapman, My Brother in law lived two houses down from her.      dickie 'bye...................

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
McDonalds Again" I don't believe it"
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 11:54:55 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
Where  the Plassy Road School used to be at the back of the old Timpsons there is now a big McDonalds. There is a proper "walk way" with flats built over the last 3 years and a Lidells and a few other shops.  There is also a Bingo Hall and a car park. I must say Catford has changed over the last few years and when I left  18 months ago  I was definitely in the minority as to colour and without exception every house that went on the market in the road  that I lived in was bought by foreigners. Bel

So now they have got rid of Plassy rd school, blimey I used to do postal delivery that side of Brownhill rd the even side that is, plus Plassy Bowness & Jutland, names all to do with the Navy I believe (over to you dickie) Battles I think. Talking about Navy & Battles I hear you guys are having a big do on the anniversary of Trafalgar. England expects eh Dickie?

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 11:28:47 AM »
another landmark that has disappeared is the Catford dog track. I lived in Catford for  35 years and never went "to the dogs" literally, but since living near Crayford have started going one afternoon  per week to the"bag" races . A fiver out of my pension gives me a good afternoon out, and if Im lucky a small profit which pays for my bag of chips.    Bel.  Being a recycled teenager is fun. :oops:

Bren4

Timsons
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 09:09:59 PM »
Was there anything as exciting as that yearly charabanc trip to the seaside?  The getting to Timsons, finding the right coach (I was always certain we'd get on the wrong one) and that delicious, heart-thumping moment went the coach started up and pulled out of the yard - by golly, I can feel all those emotions as I write about it.

Brenda

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 10:43:09 PM »
Quote from: dickie  eagle
Smithy,thankyou for your comments on my brother working at "Catford Post Office".Oddly he lived opposite the "Garden Gate" for many years on Bromley Hill,.Incidently my brother served in the RAF in "India" for much of the second world war.
I have just realised where the"Garden Gate " pub was and wasn't there a couple of Aluminium semi's across the road on Bromley Hill,? there was also a small shop called "The Cake Box" just around the corner and the manageress lived near Smiffy in the first house on the right in Wrenthorpe Rd, her name was Eileen Chapman, My Brother in law lived two houses down from her.      dickie 'bye...................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Black Horse Pub
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 08:34:30 AM »
what better place than the Public bar with a pint of luvely double diamond, Ind Coops legacy to the world of beer, (After Sheperd & Neames of course). Smudge.[/quote]                 I hadn't developed much of a taste for ale in those days, it was either a "B&B" (Bitter & Burton)  or a "Mother in Law " ( Stout & Bitter ) There is a Kentish Ale called "Spifire" with the adverts of "No Fokker can touch it !", "Seek Ale " (Seig heil ) ,  or  "No one can beat it " ( No Hun can beat it )I've taken some of the Posters to Holland where the folk appreciate them, but I don,t think the germans are impressed      dickie..............................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

dickie eagle

Re: What is this world coming to?
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 08:20:34 PM »
Quote from: JSmith
:cry: Now I have just found out through several sources, not H P or Heinze, that the building that stood on the corner of old bromley rd known as the Garden gate, is now been turned into a ( I hope its not true) a m m m mc mc mcdonalds.....   Sorry I can't write any more I'm to upset. Smiffy
I can't vouch for the accuracy  but have been told (Scuttlebutt !)    that the old blue police box that  stood outside the old Tavern was aquired by Dr Who as Tardis but don't quote me Smudge       dickie...................