Author Topic: I NEED HELP  (Read 11577 times)

JSmith1945

I NEED HELP
« on: December 24, 2004, 07:03:05 PM »
My name is john, I have been on this site before with a different e-mail address, I also uploaded some pictures like the ones of Downham School and the one of the Tram. I am rather desperate , I have just received notice from a friend that my Brother Michael Smith is in a residential home on bromley rd Catford, Mike didn't keep in touch with me,and so I am worried , He lived at xx Churchdown and it now seems He may have been placed into the residence. Can any one give me the names & address of these places in Catford so as that I can get in touch to see what is happenning.also are the Citizens Advice Bureus still around, they might help.Mike is 69 yrs and I am very worried. I would appreciate any help. Than you. John Smith

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 10:38:57 PM »
Quote from: JSmith1945
My name is john, I have been on this site before with a different e-mail address, I also uploaded some pictures like the ones of Downham School and the one of the Tram. I am rather desperate , I have just received notice from a friend that my Brother Michael Smith is in a residential home on bromley rd Catford, Mike didn't keep in touch with me,and so I am worried , He lived at 85 Churchdown and it now seems He may have been placed into the residence. Can any one give me the names & address of these places in Catford so as that I can get in touch to see what is happenning.also are the Citizens Advice Bureus still around, they might help.Mike is 69 yrs and I am very worried. I would appreciate any help. Than you. John Smith
Will try Bromley social services for you Smudge they have a couple of places in Canadian Avenue. It's Xmas eve now but I should get through on Monday and come back to you Okay ?  all the best mate, have a nice Christmas ,..  Dickie......... anyone in the bromley area could look up Residential and Nursing Homes in the Book to enquire about him too !
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
I NEED HELP
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 01:30:42 PM »
Hi John - sorry, only logged on today (Boxing Day) so just saw your message. Had a trawl through the Bromley Yellow Pages but no homes listed in Bromley Road Catford there, but found these ones on line:

Highfields Nursing Home
36-38 Bromley Road
London SE6 2TP
Tel: (020 8488 3970)

Lovedale Nursing Home
84-86 Bromley Road
London SE6 2UR
Tel: (020 8461 5707)

Ashleigh House
133 Bromley Road
London SE6 2NZ
Tel: (020 8698 4166)

and a full list here:
http://www.locallife.co.uk/lewisham/residential3.asp

It's no problem for me to pop up to Churchdown and knock at number xx, or a neighbour's house, if you would like me to do that - just let me know. Leave another message on the forum, or email me on mike@downhamonline.org.uk

Hoping all will work out OK

Kind Regards
Mike

Bel

• View Profile
I NEED HELP
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 10:04:31 PM »
Bromley Road residential and nursing homes come under Lewisham Social Services. I visited many of them when I worked in Lewisham Hospital and found them well run and the staff excellent.  Good luck in your search.  Belx

JSmith Smudge

Re- Lost Brother
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 12:42:31 AM »
Thanks for all your replys, I have e-mailed you Mike and thanks again. And thank you Dickie, let me know how you get on,I am going to phone some addresses that Mike found me tomorrow Monday. It seems there are a lot of these places around now, where as I do not remember them back in the 70's. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again I will let you know how I get on, you are a great bunch of guys in Downham. Smudge

JSmith Smudge

Brother Found
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 05:47:23 PM »
Allo you Luvely bunch from Downham. I phoned one of the places that Mike Burn suggested and my Brother was there. He had had a slight accident, ended up lewisham Hospital, then sent to Highfields Nursing Home on Bromley Rd there. So we had a good long chat. Thank you so much for your concern, you where my only means of finding him as there are no other relatives, God Bless.   John Smith :D

Bel

• View Profile
I NEED HELP
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 09:55:23 PM »
Great news.  Yes years ago there was only one residential home run  by the council and that was called Ladywell Lodge (my grandmother was in there) on the site of the old Ladywell Workhouse. in the 1990's they got rid of the long stay wards attached to the hospitals and opened  small homes around the Borough .  Bel

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re- Lost Brother
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 12:48:33 PM »
Quote from: JSmith  Smudge
Thanks for all your replys, I have e-mailed you Mike and thanks again. And thank you Dickie, let me know how you get on,I am going to phone some addresses that Mike found me tomorrow Monday. It seems there are a lot of these places around now, where as I do not remember them back in the 70's. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again I will let you know how I get on, you are a great bunch of guys in Downham. Smudge
   Great news Smudge and the old Firm came up with a real Christmas story of our own, Terrific mate!  .the downside is I discovered that Catford, Lewisham, and Downham are all now minor parts of the Largest Borough in Greater London which is the Borough of (you guessed it ) BROMLEY . Ah well you can't win'em all
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Happy Endings...
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 01:18:44 PM »
Smudge - what a relief - so glad your brother is OK - hope he is back home soon.

In the interests of security I have edited out his house number now from the messages.

Now then Dickie, no need to be quite so gloomy about Bromley swallowing up all those areas - it's true that around a third of Downham comes under LB Bromley (much as they wish it didn't!) , but Catford and Lewisham are still most definitely part of LB Lewisham, and are still more sarf London than gentrified Kent...

It's true that Bromley is the largest London borough, and a big chunk of it is countyside and green belt, but not for much longer if Ken gets his way and builds thousands of new homes there - he still hasn't forgiven Bromley Council for the "fares fare" court case in the early 80's...!