Author Topic: Hi from Perth, Western Australia  (Read 23742 times)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Geraint rd & the Cakebreads
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 08:23:13 PM »
Quote from: Pauline
Yeah, ok Dickie, I remember being sent to get bread after school and eating a donut on the way home.  In fact I think I had to go to the shops almost every night after school for something.  No weekly shop in those days![/quote]    I mentioned bread in aother note because  the baker in Bellingham used to sell yesterdays loaves for a penny as Stale bread
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Churchdown School
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2005, 07:17:04 PM »
Quote from: Bren4
Quote from: Pauline
My form and maths teacher was Mrs Winfield.  I had Miss Callard for French, Mrs Brown for English, Miss Latham for music and needlework, Mrs Atkins for science, Miss Farley for P.T. and Miss Forgotten her name for Geography.  And of course, the dreaded Mrs Gatehouse with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth was headmistress.  And gosh, has the old school really gone?
Brenda
Bren wasn't Mrs Atkins, really Miss Atkins who had two gorgeous sisters.( I remember they were Ruth , Jesse , and Mabel) they originally lived in Lamerock, and I bumped into Mabel when she was a WAAF at Henlow training college.    eddifying all this!    dickie..............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Bren4

Re: Churchdown School
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2005, 11:12:24 PM »
Brenda[/quote]
Bren wasn't Mrs Atkins, really Miss Atkins who had two gorgeous sisters.( I remember they were Ruth , Jesse , and Mabel) they originally lived in Lamerock, and I bumped into Mabel when she was a WAAF at Henlow training college.    eddifying all this!    dickie..............
[/quote]

I doubt it Dickie.  My Mrs Atkins was a very large and wobbly lady.  She might have been considered gorgeous as her hair was very red but in the popular usage of the word, I doubt it.

Who mentioned Evans Rd.  My grandmother lived there and I have three good memories of her.  She must have died when I was about 3yrs old.  If there is fellow from Evans Rd who remembers someone throwing half a brick at him and ending up with a cut on his bonce, that was my sister!
Bren

adcross@ozconnect.net

McQuade family
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2005, 05:38:52 AM »
Quote from: Bel
Do you remember the McQuade family. I Think Eric was a boxer.. Bel

Hello Bel, sorry don't know your full name. I used to live in Shroffold Road just around the corner of the McQuade family and my wife ,before I married her, lived in Ballamore Road that backed onto Pendragon School.
I have had a short discussion with Brenda on another web page. My wife's maiden name was Frances Day and she has a twin sister Margaret still in the Chinbrook area. Other people that I have met in New Zealand,where we lived for 38 years before moving to the Sunshine Coast of Queensland in 1999, were George Wright, Sid Hayward both ex Merchant Navy, Charlie Pitman who was a real wide boy and a cobbler from the other end of Shroffold Road Trevor somebody or rather.
Frances went to Durham Hill and I went to Downham Secondary, some of Frances's school friends were Carol Phillips, Margaret Cannon and Shirley Coward, ring any bells ?. Em,ail me if you want. Regards Tony Cross
adcross@ozconnect.net

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
remember when !
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2005, 09:47:06 AM »
Oh ,I remember young eric mcquade, he must be in his late 70's by now. my kid sister had a crush on him. Just outside Brenda's house he was sparring with me and he had four wheeled roller skates on. I couldn't even touch the cheeky blighter while he kept ducking and diving ,at the same time grinning his head off while he kept landing light taps on me...........He was a likeable sort of kid though.I was with a girl (Esme I think. who lived down on the left in the road opposite brendas) I seem to remember there being flats opposite ! Gosh I havent thought of Esme in years.    dickie.....................Sorry about Mlle Atkins  but the three sisters were GEORGEOUS really.......

Bren4

Hi from Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2005, 11:08:46 PM »
Quote from: [email]adcross@ozconnect.net[/email]

Hello Bel, sorry don't know your full name. I used to live in Shroffold Road just around the corner of the McQuade family and my wife ,before I married her, lived in Ballamore Road

Hallo Tony,

No doubt we met in passing in the past!  Would your wife have known Christine Valance or Mary and Helen Petrou? Christine lived opposide Pendragon School (front) and the Petrous backed onto Ballamore Rd.
Bren

adcross@ozconnect.net

Pendragon Road
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2005, 03:12:53 AM »
Hello Bren 4,

Sorry I don't think that I replied to yours of June re names of people living in or near Pendragon Road. My wife remembers one of the names that you mentioned but can't put a face to it.  
Names of others living close to her in that area were Barnes, McQuillan, Burton, Beamiss, Cooper, Turner, Marshall. Any of the names ring a bell ?.

Names of people living near us in Shroffold Road were two lots of Whites, Simmonds, Lloyd, Carter , Minster, Gosbee, Hearn and of course "Mad Alice " whose house looked like a rubbish tip in Shroffold just around the corner from Ballamore and who never spoke to anybody.

Regards Tony Cross.

Bren4

Re: Pendragon Road
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2005, 09:10:52 PM »
Quote from: [email]adcross@ozconnect.net[/email]
Hello Bren 4,

Sorry I don't think that I replied to yours of June re names of people living in or near Pendragon Road. My wife remembers one of the names that you mentioned but can't put a face to it.  
Names of others living close to her in that area were Barnes, McQuillan, Burton, Beamiss, Cooper, Turner, Marshall. Any of the names ring a bell ?.

Names of people living near us in Shroffold Road were two lots of Whites, Simmonds, Lloyd, Carter , Minster, Gosbee, Hearn and of course "Mad Alice " whose house looked like a rubbish tip in Shroffold just around the corner from Ballamore and who never spoke to anybody.

Regards Tony Cross.

No worries!  Beamiss is the only name that rings a bit of a bell but, like your wife, the name doesn't conjure up a face to go with it.  Did you know the Wallaces from Woodbank Rd?  I have recently made contact with Carol and am enjoying a correspondence with her.
Bren

TDCakebread

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2006, 11:25:13 PM »
My Uncle Jim & Aunty Phyllis (Cakebread) lived in Geraint Road for many years.

See link to topic below - scroll to bottom.

http://www.downhamonline.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109

(They are not Baptists though!)

Tim Cakebread

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2006, 01:38:45 AM »
Quote from: TDCakebread

Tim Cakebread

Hallo Tim,

That's an interesting surname.  I don't think I've ever come across a Cakebread before.  

I presume you were just a visitor to Downham then, or did you live there yourself?

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2006, 01:43:33 AM »
Quote from: Brenda
Quote from: TDCakebread

Tim Cakebread

Hallo Tim,

That's an interesting surname.  I don't think I've ever come across a Cakebread before

I remember the Cakebreads, they lived in Geraint Road near the junction with Launcelot.  Door always open, everyone welcome!

I presume you were just a visitor to Downham then, or did you live there yourself?

Bren[/quote]
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi from Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2006, 03:34:00 AM »
quote/   Names of others living close to her in that area were Barnes, McQuillan, Burton, Beamiss, Cooper, Turner, Marshall. Any of the names ring a bell ?.

I went to Downham Central with guys named David Burton & Donald McQuillan. This was betwen 1956 &1960.   Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Downham Secondary
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2006, 03:42:14 AM »
Quote/  Frances went to Durham Hill and I went to Downham Secondary, some of Frances's school friends were Carol Phillips, Margaret Cannon and Shirley Coward, ring any bells ?. Em,ail me if you want. Regards Tony Cross

What years where you at Downham Tony, I was there 1956-1960. Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.