Author Topic: Hi from Perth, Western Australia  (Read 24079 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Churchdown School
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 02:08:46 AM »
Quote from: Bren4
Quote from: Pauline
I went to Churchdown from 1955 to 1960.  I don't think it is even there anymore is it?  

Then we must have at least passed each other from time to time Pauline.
I left in 1959 in the 4th form.  My form and maths teacher was Mrs Winfield.  I had Miss Callard for French, Mrs Brown for English, Miss Latham for music and needlework, Mrs Atkins for science, Miss Farley for P.T. and Miss Forgotten her name for Geography.  And of course, the dreaded Mrs Gatehouse with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth was headmistress.  And gosh, has the old school really gone?
Brenda

I think we have 'spoken' before on the Friends Reunited site.  I started off in Mrs Carricks class, later when to Miss Kinglseys class, never made prefect or even ink monitor  :roll:   I didn't mind school that much.  I stayed on to the 5th year, didnt do much good.  I am now working in a University here in Perth in the Library.
I'm not sure whether the school building has gone but I think that Catford Cowshed (oops sorry 'bout that) took over.  Looking at up to date photos it would seem that the whole of Downham has changed.  I remember the drafty (no freezing) swimming baths, the library - all gone. I won't go in the pool unless its at least 30 deg celsius, I don't think Downham ever got to 30 deg Farenheit.  
Bromley shopping, wandering down the High Street one side and up the other, all changed, tried to visit a friend in West Wickham in 1994, and got completely lost!
I was born at 16 Geraint Road in 1944, we were bombed out when I was 6 months old, and moved temporaily to Moorside Road.  Later moved up Geraint Road to 52 because my sister got TB and had to have a larger bedroom.  Lived there until I got married in 1964.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Anonymous

Re: Churchdown School
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 09:23:15 PM »
Quote from: Bren4
I went to Churchdown from 1955 to 1960.
I think we have 'spoken' before on the Friends Reunited site.  

Have we really 'spoken' before Pauline?  I have to say my memory is not too good these days!  What is your surname?  Perhaps that will jolt my memory.  Yes, there would be lots of changes on Downham and I think I've left it far too late to return and have a look at the old place.  My old home has gone now and that's the worse thing.  We lived in Durham Hill.  Do you remember the shoe repair man in Moorside Rd?  He worked in a shed in his back garden.  I was always a bit scared of him.  But then, I think I was scared of everybody!

Brenda

Anonymous

Re: Hi from Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 08:54:56 AM »
Quote from: Dick Eagle
Only just found this site.    I was born in Geraint Road and lived there until 1963.  I went to Launcelot School, and Churchdown County.  We moved to Perth, Western Australia in 1988.   It's lovely to read of other Downhamites.  Haven't been back since 1994.  I still keep in touch with neighbours, who tell what is happening there.
Welcome to the odd-sods division of ex Downhamites . ,you have unfortunately just missed Keith Allen, an old stalwart who lived down in Bunbury. To get to know us better look at the members list and scroll back at the letters they have subscribed. I used to have friends (the Lindzners ) in Gareth Grove  Anyway you,ll make a few friends and maybe old aquaintances here, nice to have you. Dickie.........
Hi Pauline ,My name is John Nunn and I lived at 45 Geraint rd and went to Durham Hill school until 1956,I just wondered if you knew any of my old friends ie Brian Georgeson.There was a Pauline living next door to me called Dyer.John Nunn, modelflier41@aol.com

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Hi from Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 09:17:35 AM »
Quote from: Anonymous
Only just found this site.    I was born in Geraint Road and lived there until 1963.  I went to Launcelot School, and Churchdown County.  We moved to Perth, Western Australia in 1988.   It's lovely to read of other Downhamites.  Haven't been back since 1994.  I still keep in touch with neighbours, who tell what is happening there.
Welcome to the odd-sods division of ex Downhamites . ,you have unfortunately just missed Keith Allen, an old stalwart who lived down in Bunbury. To get to know us better look at the members list and scroll back at the letters they have subscribed. I used to have friends (the Lindzners ) in Gareth Grove  Anyway you,ll make a few friends and maybe old aquaintances here, nice to have you. Dickie.........
Hi Pauline ,My name is John Nunn and I lived at 45 Geraint rd and went to Durham Hill school until 1956,I just wondered if you knew any of my old friends ie Brian Georgeson.There was a Pauline living next door to me called Dyer.John Nunn, modelflier41@aol.com

Hi John
I remember a Pauline Georgeson who lived opposite me at when I lived at No 52.  The name Dyer is familiar but I don't recall a Pauline.  I remember  Rene Todd Whom I emailed regularly until she died a couple of years ago) and her sister Shirley.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

John Nunn

Geraint rd
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 03:51:56 PM »
Hi Pauline, thanks for the reply.The Georgesons had an older brother who used to come home from the bank in his bowler hat,Quite something in those days.You might remember our front door that had a Spanish galleon on a pane of glass,it was the only one in the street and I put it there.I also remember the katebreads family and also most of the street seemed to be Catholics.Thanks for the contact,Regards ,John Nunn, e mail address  modelflier41@aol.com

dickie eagle

Re: Geraint rd
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 10:01:47 PM »
Quote from: John Nunn
Hi Pauline.I also remember the katebreads family and also most of the street seemed to be Catholics.Thanks for the contact,Regards ,John Nunn, e mail address  modelflier41@aol.com
 hello John,interesting site this, you mention a family of "Katebreads" I did have a couple of chums who I have always known as "Cakebread" from that area, both Fred of that ilk who was an RAF Pilot Officer , short & dapper with a pencil slim moustache, and his younger brother Billy (Both now in thier Eighties ) Their children would however have been born around the end of the war  I wonder if they are connected because thier watering hole was the Chinbrook,  Interesting !  both were keen scouting types in the St. Barnabas, 13th Troup  'bye now  Dickie.................

dickie eagle

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 10:02:02 PM »
Hi Pauline.I also remember the katebreads family and also most of the street seemed to be Catholics.Thanks for the contact,Regards ,John Nunn, e mail address  modelflier41@aol.com
 hello John,interesting site this, you mention a family of "Katebreads" I did have a couple of chums who I have always known as "Cakebread" from that area, both Fred of that ilk who was an RAF Pilot Officer , short & dapper with a pencil slim moustache, and his younger brother Billy (Both now in thier Eighties ) Their children would however have been born around the end of the war  I wonder if they are connected because thier watering hole was the Chinbrook,  Interesting !  both were keen scouting types in the St. Barnabas, 13th Troup  'bye now  Dickie.................

dickie eagle

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 10:02:18 PM »

Pauline

• View Profile
Cakebreads
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 01:41:26 AM »
Yes I remember the Cakebreads, lived near the 'top' of Geraint Road at the junction with Launcelot. Can't seem to remember any christian names though (must be old age).

dickie eagle

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2005, 09:51:36 PM »
Hi Pauline, thanks for the replyI also remember the katebreads family and also most of the street seemed to be Catholics.Thanks for the contact,Regards ,John Nunn, e mail address  modelflier41@aol.com
John ,I did a quote in for you but although it was accepted (in duplicate) it seems to have lost its way home. However your to reference to the "Katebreads " intrigues me  as there was a family " Cakebread" in lived in that vicinty Fred and George who would now be in their 80's the elder was a Pilot officer in the RAF and I last saw him on demob. leave in his local Watering hole the "Chinbrook" hope I haven't had his name wrong all these years    Dickie ......................

John Nunn

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2005, 08:41:55 AM »
Quote from: dickie eagle
Hi Pauline, thanks for the replyI also remember the katebreads family and also most of the street seemed to be Catholics.Thanks for the contact,Regards ,John Nunn, e mail address  modelflier41@aol.com
John ,I did a quote in for you but although it was accepted (in duplicate) it seems to have lost its way home. However your to reference to the "Katebreads " intrigues me  as there was a family " Cakebread" in lived in that vicinty Fred and George who would now be in their 80's the elder was a Pilot officer in the RAF and I last saw him on demob. leave in his local Watering hole the "Chinbrook" hope I haven't had his name wrong all these years    Dickie ......................
Hi Dickie,You are right about the name I think,It was cakebread,thats more like it.I seem to remember they were Catholics as were a lot of folk in that road .oh the old Chinbrook pub,yeh ,I remember that too.Cheers mate ,nice to hear from you,regards, John Nunn

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Geraint rd & the Cakebreads
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2005, 09:24:12 AM »
"John Nunn"][/quote]Hi Dickie,You are right about the name I think,It was cakebread,thats more like it.I seem to remember they were Catholics as were a lot of folk in that road .oh the old Chinbrook pub,yeh ,I remember that too.Cheers mate ,nice to hear from you,regards, John Nunn[/quote]
I don't think they were of Catholic persuasion John because they attended St. Barnabas Baptist Church in Churchdown And also their Chritian names don't sit well in the Catholic choice "Frederick" was  of a Prussian origin, and William ? ? ?   Remember that Prince William of Orange (a Hollander ) was the "Silly Billy" who defeated the Catholics at the Battle of the Boyne . They did have fun,  dickie...............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Anonymous

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2005, 07:42:56 AM »
"John Nunn"]
Hi Dickie,You are right about the name I think,It was cakebread,thats more like it.I seem to remember they were Catholics as were a lot of folk in that road .oh the old Chinbrook pub,yeh ,I remember that too.Cheers mate ,nice to hear from you,regards, John Nunn[/quote]
I don't think they were of Catholic persuasion John because they attended St. Barnabas Baptist Church in Churchdown And also their Chritian names don't sit well in the Catholic choice "Frederick" was  of a Prussian origin, and William ? ? ?   Remember that Prince William of Orange (a Hollander ) was the "Silly Billy" who defeated the Catholics at the Battle of the Boyne . They did have fun,  dickie...............
[/quote]Yeah, ok Dickie,my memory not so good these days .Another family I remember was called Stocks who lived over the rd from me .Also I recall the Teddy boys at Grove Park station going to have a dust up with the boys of St marys Cray,the cops were always waiting at the station for them to come back,Good entertainment that was.Regards John Nunn.

Bel

• View Profile
Hi from Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2005, 03:39:34 PM »
Do you remember the McQuade family. I Think Eric was a boxer.. Bel

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2005, 01:53:48 AM »
[/quote]Yeah, ok Dickie,my memory not so good these days .Another family I remember was called Stocks who lived over the rd from me .Also I recall the Teddy boys at Grove Park station going to have a dust up with the boys of St marys Cray,the cops were always waiting at the station for them to come back,Good entertainment that was.Regards John Nunn.[/quote]
A bit before my time, but I do remember annoying the heck out of the people who owned the fish and chip shop until they called the cops and then we'd all run.
I also remember being sent by my Mum to 'Fords' the little grocery shop to get her Esso parafin, and I remember being sent to get bread after school and eating a donut on the way home.  In fact I think I had to go to the shops almost every night after school for something.  No weekly shop in those days!