Author Topic: Hi from Perth, Western Australia  (Read 22513 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Hi from Perth, Western Australia
« on: December 21, 2004, 06:35:46 AM »
Only just found this site.    I was born in Geraint Road and lived there until 1963.  I went to Launcelot School, and Churchdown County.  We moved to Perth, Western Australia in 1988.   It's lovely to read of other Downhamites.  Haven't been back since 1994.  I still keep in touch with neighbours, who tell what is happening there.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hi from Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 11:31:50 AM »
Quote from: Pauline
Only just found this site.    I was born in Geraint Road and lived there until 1963.  I went to Launcelot School, and Churchdown County.  We moved to Perth, Western Australia in 1988.   It's lovely to read of other Downhamites.  Haven't been back since 1994.  I still keep in touch with neighbours, who tell what is happening there.
Welcome to the odd-sods division of ex Downhamites . ,you have unfortunately just missed Keith Allen, an old stalwart who lived down in Bunbury. To get to know us better look at the members list and scroll back at the letters they have subscribed. I used to have friends (the Lindzners ) in Gareth Grove  Anyway you,ll make a few friends and maybe old aquaintances here, nice to have you. Dickie.........
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Welcome
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 03:12:42 PM »
Hi Pauline - a very warm welcome to the site and the forum - great to hear from another ex-Downham person downunder! One of the strange things about this site (and therefore perhaps Downham itself) is that the more enthusiastic contributors are those who used to live here but don't any more...!

Sue & I were in Aus this time last year and had a fab time, and much as we're looking forward to a quiet Christmas at home again this year, we kinda wish we could hop on a plane again tomorrow...

Welcome again
Mike

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 03:38:29 PM »
Hi Pauline...welcome... I had an Aunt and uncle who lived in Geriant Road Downham.   Their name was Woodward and they had four sons and one daughter. I can recall going to a street party their when I was a girl. and when we used to visit taking a big bag of broken biscuits with us from a corner shop . Alas my uncle eventually was taken into hospital and as he had breathing diffciulties put in an oxygen tent. Unfortunately he managed to light a cigarette in it,   and that put an end to him. His daughter Rosie went to Australia after that, but we lost touch.. Regards Bel.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 01:02:51 AM »
Quote from: Bel
Hi Pauline...welcome... I had an Aunt and uncle who lived in Geriant Road Downham.   Their name was Woodward and they had four sons and one daughter.
Bel, you are amazing and you keep on name dropping of people I believe I knew, apart from going to Launcelot Rd. with a lad I knew as "Woodie". Short, thick set and a very short No2 haircut . if it is the same one  from Geraint,  the last time I saw him was in the Navy  with  Landing Craft on Willingdon Island in Southern India   can it be the same person ?  mmm ! Dickie...............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Bren4

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 02:01:50 PM »

Hallo Pauline, it's good to see a new contributor.  I also went to Churchdown County - 1954-1959.  What years were you there?  What teachers do you remember?  Do hope you will join us regularly from now on.
Brenda

Bren4

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 02:02:09 PM »

Hallo Pauline, it's good to see a new contributor.  I also went to Churchdown County - 1954-1959.  What years were you there?  What teachers do you remember?  Do hope you will join us regularly from now on.
Brenda

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 03:31:47 PM »
I had two cousins in the Merchant Navy (both Woodwards) . The eldest one was short and stocky (had a short haircut). I think he went to India as he bought back a parrot for my Grandmother. He married and his eldest son got killed on a motor bike on Shooters Hill. He joined the Police Force as a  dog handler (stood on tiptoes to meet the requirements on height) . I last saw him about 18 years ago at a funeral, and then I heard that he had died..  Regards Bel

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 12:23:25 AM »
   nice to keep in touch cos that is the basis of "D on L" it is also looking back in time to our own experiences and the people who we knew.neighbours, and the friends we made in the pubs and clubs, at school , the local hops etc.  We have to live for tomorrow,think of today, and have enjoyable recall of what we had, and even miss a little. I just hope more people with Downham connections past and present join us with some of their experiences..  'bye now, have fun   dickie.........

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 09:39:30 AM »
Quote from: Dick Eagle
Quote from: Bel
Hi Pauline...welcome... I had an Aunt and uncle who lived in Geriant Road Downham.   Their name was Woodward and they had four sons and one daughter.
Bel, you are amazing and you keep on name dropping of people I believe I knew, apart from going to Launcelot Rd. with a lad I knew as "Woodie". Short, thick set and a very short No2 haircut . if it is the same one  from Geraint,  the last time I saw him was in the Navy  with  Landing Craft on Willingdon Island in Southern India   can it be the same person ?  mmm ! Dickie...............
 Sorry Bel ,my recall  is slipping, as my sister (still living in Northover,at the bottom end on the right ) tells me that the "Woodie" I knew was one "Nipper" WOODLEY  ,but he did live in the same area . Now go and enjoy the delights of Egypt ( and bring me back a Belly Dancer please )     dickie

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 07:24:30 AM »
I don't remember any Woodwards in Geraint Road.  But then most people were always "so and so's Mum or Dad" :D
I went to Churchdown from 1955 to 1960.  I don't think it is even there anymore is it?  
I did return in 1994 and everything looked so small, with cars parked in roads that weren't built for cars.
I am in the process of writing an account of my early years in Downham for my Aussie born and bred Grandchildren.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 09:34:34 AM »
I don't remember any Woodwards in Geraint Road.  But then most people were always "so and so's Mum or Dad"
I am in the process of writing an account of my early years in Downham for my Aussie born and bred Grandchildren.
born in downham 1944 !
 stop making me feel antique Pet cos in that year I was in and around Austradahnunda too. I considered emigrating but married a lovely,bubbly, outgoing  Wren from St. Mary Cray (Orpington) who I met at Greenwich college instead          dickie.................

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 10:48:05 AM »
dont know about a belly dancer Dickie, but will ask my sons to look out for a mermaid instead, (would  look nice in your pond!). I had a cousin who lived in Evans Road (would be about 82 now) by the name of Mabel Slade, who had a deaf brother called Jimmy.  She emigrated to Australia, but you might have come across her . Her mother remarried a man she met at a bus stop in Downham (good place for meeting people).She worked at the Police station in Deptford and he worked in Carrington House. Must finish my packing...Best wishes Bel

Bren4

Churchdown School
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 08:45:02 PM »
I went to Churchdown from 1955 to 1960.  I don't think it is even there anymore is it?  

Then we must have at least passed each other from time to time Pauline.
I left in 1959 in the 4th form.  My form and maths teacher was Mrs Winfield.  I had Miss Callard for French, Mrs Brown for English, Miss Latham for music and needlework, Mrs Atkins for science, Miss Farley for P.T. and Miss Forgotten her name for Geography.  And of course, the dreaded Mrs Gatehouse with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth was headmistress.
Brenda

Bren4

Churchdown School
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 08:45:27 PM »

Then we must have at least passed each other from time to time Pauline.
I left in 1959 in the 4th form.  My form and maths teacher was Mrs Winfield.  I had Miss Callard for French, Mrs Brown for English, Miss Latham for music and needlework, Mrs Atkins for science, Miss Farley for P.T. and Miss Forgotten her name for Geography.  And of course, the dreaded Mrs Gatehouse with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth was headmistress.  And gosh, has the old school really gone?
Brenda