Author Topic: Forest fires.  (Read 8326 times)

Graham

• View Profile
    • Email
Forest fires.
« on: August 06, 2003, 07:10:15 PM »
Greetings from British Columbia.

Whilst Britain bathes in high temperatures, we in BC are having the worst forest fire season in over fifty years. There has been little or no rain for weeks and the forests are tinder dry.  

Forest fires continue to rage throughout south-central BC keeping 8,000 people away from their homes and a state of emergency is in effect.

At present there are 306 fires of which 217 were started by humans and the rest by lightening. A total land area of 400 sq. kilometers is on fire with at least 225 houses, outbuildings and businesses have been razed.

Phew! It is hot again today but being one block from the ocean over looking the snowcapped mountains on Vancouver Island there is a cool gentle breeze across the water. However, a pint or two from the 'Old Downham Tavern' would go down well right now!

Graham. A
Graham A

Dickie Eagle

forest/Bush fires
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 11:56:59 PM »
Graham ,no-one who deliberately starts a fire can consider themselves  "Human"as it's a nasty gutless way of trying to feel Macho and anyone caught in the act should be thrown on to their own little conflagration. todays temperature in my little garden was 38 degrees  ! , thats about just over 100 degrees in English, enough to melt the tar on the tarry blocks supporting the Tramlines in Downham Way. A "Mother-in Law" in the old Tavern would be very acceptable (who's buying ?)   Just keep the Letters rolling in.    Dickie...........................

Brenda

Forest Fires
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 12:18:19 AM »
Hallo Graham, I hope you are not in too much danger. Wildfire is utterly terrifying, I know.   A couple of summers ago, fire broke out in pine forest a few kms from us.  Within a very short time, it was only 500m away as the crow flies.  Syd had already gone off to join his fire team so I was alone here watching the smoke and the firefighting aircraft getting closer. I had the car packed with the precious things - photos etc - ready to drive into the safest paddock.  Fortunately, as the fire was coming up our road, it turned back on itself and headed off to the small nearby township. By some miracle, no houses burned but stock was killed and miles of fencing went.  Thousands of trees were destroyed.  Some have regenerated but many will never recover.  Syd returned home that evening, black and exhausted after 8 hours of firefighting. Hot spots were still being found a couple of weeks later.  Keep safe
Brenda

Brenda

Forest Fires
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 12:22:53 AM »
Gosh Dickie, 38oC - that's certainly hot for England, isn't it?
I do remember, in days of childhood, the tar on the road bubbling and popping the bubbles. Great fun apart from ending up with black and sticky fingers.  What is a "mother-in-law"?  Is it rhyming slang?  I can't work it out.
Keep cool
Brenda

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Re: Forest Fires
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 12:34:38 AM »
Quote from: Brenda
What is a "mother-in-law"?  Is it rhyming slang?  I can't work it out.
Brenda

It's a new one on me...

Here's a cockney slang link that will provide hours of fun for all the family:

:arrow: http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/rabbit_1.asp

Anonymous

Re: Forest Fires
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 02:04:37 AM »
Quote from: Brenda
Gosh Dickie, 38oC - that's certainly hot for England, isn't it?
I do remember, in days of childhood, the tar on the road bubbling and popping the bubbles. Great fun apart from ending up with black and sticky fingers.  What is a "mother-in-law"?  Is it rhyming slang?  I can't work it out.
Keep cool
Brenda
G'day Plum,  We could  call for a Mild & Bitter, or "B &B" a Bitter and Burton.but a Mother in Law " is a Stout and Bitter ,it was all wet and warm, one thing our Transatlantic friends did improve for us was their insistance on Cold Beer With current temperatures you need Two, one to pour over your head, ,and Air conditioning in cars is a must . @bye now, Dickie...............

Graham

• View Profile
    • Email
Forest fires.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 07:05:57 PM »
Update....  The largest forest fire in BC started with a discarded cigarette by a VOLUNTEER FIREMAN. that quickly became a selfeeding monster that grew into 11,181 hectares and forced the removal of 3,500 people. It is reported that flames reached 100 metres and the fire moved at speeds of 80 metres per minute. The fire is now contained due to the efforts of 500 firemen who are making progress in establishing a 137 kilometer perimiter fire guard.

My uncle was in the London Fire Service during the war and was stationed at Lewisham. I remember my Grandmother telling me that, when we lived on Verdant Lane, he was one of the first to respond to the bombing of Sandhurst Road Primary School. I started school at Sandhurst in 1946 when part of the school was still in ruins.

Thank goodness the temperature is a little cooler today but I could manage to eat s soft icecream cone from Woolworth's in Catford. Does anyone remember them?
Graham A

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Forest fires.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 12:19:18 AM »
Quote from: Graham
but I could manage to eat s soft icecream cone from Woolworth's in Catford. Does anyone remember them?

I certainly do Graham.  My goodness, what a tantalising texture it was and I don't think I've ever found any icecream like it since.  A Saturday treat for my friend and I (aged around 14) was to go into Woolworth's, get an icecream and eat it by the record counter so we could listen to the Everly Brothers.  
Brenda