Author Topic: absent contributors  (Read 12968 times)

Dickie Eagle

absent contributors
« on: June 08, 2004, 11:43:15 PM »
sorry there has been such a long break in contact. since a collapse led me into Wexham Park Hospital where I have been playing Musical Wards . however I persueded the consultant that I was needed at home. now to catch up on matters of more import. such as getting more people to write of their Downham. more so now that Keith is no longer coaxing us with his bandinage I am sure there must be someone waiting in the wings capable of regaling us with more Downhamite legendry or even the odd joke plus pictorial contributions to the Gallery, or even,a re-union do ? either the Tavern,or British legion will do.     dickie...............

Bel

• View Profile
absent contributors
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 08:50:27 AM »
:cry: Awe sorry to hear of your misfortune |Dickie, but glad to know that you are home and I expect being spoilt by all your lovely ladies. The lovely  weather we are having at the moment bought back memories of the days spent in our back garden at Downham with our old tent pitched in the back garden, some broken biscuits and a bottle of water. Do anyone remember those little tablets of different flavours that we used to put in the water to make it fizz? We used to lay the table (an upturned bucket) and the centrepiece was a little silver coloured vase (which once adorned my mum's wedding cake) which we used to fill with daisies. Ah.......those were the days......Bel

Dickie Eagle

absent contributors
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 08:48:55 AM »
some broken biscuits and a bottle of water. Do anyone remember those little tablets of different flavours that we used to put in the water to make it fizz? . Ah.......those were the days......Bel
Thanks Bel, Big X   I'm mostly okay now and strangley when they prescribed a new tablet it was marvellous and dissolved on your tongue with a nice Orangey flavour. I did say we used to be able to buy a small packet  of square fizzy cubes which were dissoved in water to make a fizzy drink and one of the lady patients (mixed wards !) recalled them as "Chef fizzes" and broken biscuits in Woolies were 2d a pound too ,you should know  . Bye now , be good   . Dickie........................

Anonymous

Re: absent contributors
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 10:51:20 PM »
Quote from: Dickie Eagle
sorry there has been such a long break in contact. since a collapse led me into Wexham Park Hospital where I have been playing Musical Wards .

Dickie, I had been wondering where you were and had decided to write to you if you didn't turn up soon on our forum.  I'm so sorry you have been poorly and do hope the health problem is now sorted out.  We can't afford to lose you.

Brenda

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 08:47:09 AM »
Quote from: Anonymous
sorry there has been such a long break in contact. since a collapse led me into Wexham Park Hospital where I have been playing Musical Wards . Dickie,  I'm so sorry you have been poorly and do hope the health problem is now sorted out.  We can't afford to lose you.Brenda
                                                         Thanks Beryl and Brenda for your solicitations , I managed to bounce back quickly , and in the words of the Prophet " Die ? that's the last thing I shall do " I will modify my market technique and only take light easy to carry stuff. No books etc cos they weigh a ton, so does glass and crockery just make life easy for myself and only once a week (markets I mean !). Now lets get on with today. 'bye for now         Dickie................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 08:48:38 AM »
sorry there has been such a long break in contact. since a collapse led me into Wexham Park Hospital where I have been playing Musical Wards . Dickie,  I'm so sorry you have been poorly and do hope the health problem is now sorted out.  We can't afford to lose you.Brenda
                                                         Thanks Beryl and Brenda for your solicitations , I managed to bounce back quickly , and in the words of the Prophet " Die ? that's the last thing I shall do " I will modify my market technique and only take light easy to carry stuff. No books etc cos they weigh a ton, so does glass and crockery just make life easy for myself and only once a week (markets I mean !). Now lets get on with today. 'bye for now         Dickie................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Anonymous

absent contributors
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 12:09:58 AM »
hi Dickie, am glad to know that you are nearly fighting fit , and participating once again, as we have all missed you. Am intrigued about your boot sales, where do you get all the gear from?  do you go round with a horse and cart collecting ( I know you are fond of horses being an ex Grooms boy). Anyway  keep up the good work and take care...Bel

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
absent contributors
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 01:14:23 PM »
hi Dickie,  Am intrigued about your boot sales, where do you get all the gear from?  do you go round with a horse and cart collecting ( I know you are fond of horses being an ex Grooms boy). ..Bel  
 Nope, no horse & cart just a Nissan and shanks pony. I go to auctions and look for job lots, and local jumble sales. anything that doesn't work is a challenge and clocks, pocket watckes,Brass,Pewter,iron, spelter, and bronze castings that require attention and a bit of TLC (any offers ?) I did see a 2lb Kilner jar full of mustard colour oval beads of all sizes ,looked a bit plastic and got them for 2  when I got home they were old Amber and I enjoyed making two graduated 20 inch necklaces,plus half dozen victorian style "Bomb" ear droppers. all the beads were knotted on properly and the french wires I bought as gold findings copied from a a photo in the "London illustrated " magazine .     back again soon  Dickie...............

tony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 12:45:47 AM »
sorry there has been such a long break in contact. since a collapse led me into Wexham Park Hospital where I have been playing Musical Wards . however I persueded the consultant that I was needed at home. now to catch up on matters of more import. such as getting more people to write of their Downham. more so now that Keith is no longer coaxing us with his bandinage I am sure there must be someone waiting in the wings capable of regaling us with more Downhamite legendry or even the odd joke plus pictorial contributions to the Gallery, or even,a re-union do ? either the Tavern,or British legion will do.     dickie...............

Hi Dickie Sorry to read that you have been in Hospital hope that you now remain well as this site could not suffer another loss of one of its greatest contributers. I had intended to try and make up for my brother Keith but have also been in Hospital with a touch of angina. Must go abit slower must have been all that food on holiday in spain.
I shall have to get used to using this web page. I assume that my letter to you will also be available to Bel. Derick and others whose letters I have read. So I will add re Bel's letter about playing in the back garden in Downham that I remember playing with soldiers in trenches dug on the side of the Anderson Shelter. They were Dinkie toys and were bought from the shop round to the left at the bottom of Downham Way opposite woolworths, which always had a marvelouse display in the right hand window with paratroopers, planes and tanks etc. We also used to collect snails and set up tracks to race them. Thats it for now will continue again
Regards to all Tony

Bel

• View Profile
absent contributors
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 10:57:36 AM »
Oh my, was sorry to hear that you have also been in hospital Tony :(  but am so glad that you are contributing once again,  :P    Keith is still sorely missed, but it is lovely that you are still with us.  The shop that you refer to was Hills, where my Dad bought me my first scooter and  skates and I bought my lads their first bikes, I dont think it has been closed all that long and it was indeed a lovely shop. One of the houses I went to look at when I was buying mine  still had the Anderson shelter in the garden , and it bought back a few memories. Cant believe it will be my 72nd birthday romorrow,  as I remember when  my Granny was that age, all dressed in black and never went out of her little back room where she lived in Greenwich, so some things have changed for the better.   Bel

Dickie Eagle

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 10:56:41 PM »
Quote from: tony

Hi Dickie Sorry to read that you have been in Hospital hope that you now remain well as this site could not suffer another loss of one of its greatest contributers. I had intended to try and make up for my brother Keith but have also been in Hospital with a touch of angina. Must go abit slower must have been all that food on holiday in spain.
I shall have to get used to using this web page. . Thats it for now willcontinue again. Regards to all Tony
Hi Tony,nice to have you with us and hope your Angina is minimal as it is a really depressing thing to have to suffer though there is an effective anti-anginal product I think is called"Tildiem" you might ask your G.P. about. I see the NFU has stooped its financial support of the labour party, my vote was UKIP.as I don't want to be a "Eupopean". anyway mate welcome to you as you will doubtless improve the quality of Downham online in the best family tradition ,  all the best           Dickie................

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 02:28:06 AM »
sorry there has been such a long break in contact.

The forum generally seems to have been very quiet for a few days.  Is everyone alright?  And what has happened to Smiffy.  I know he had some internet troubles but it seems a like time since he spoke to us.  
I shall be away in sunny Queensland for a few days for a family wedding.  When I return, I vow I will get out some photos and send them to Mike to put in the picture gallery.
Bye for now
Brenda

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 10:56:26 PM »
I had intended to try and make up for my brother Keith but have also been in Hospital with a touch of angina. Must go abit slower must have been all that food on holiday in spain.
I shall have to get used to using this web page. I assume that my letter to you will also be available to Bel. Derick and others whose letters I have read.
Hallo Tony, how nice you intend to join us on the forum.  Like everyone else, I miss Keith's input.  So sorry you are having health problems and do hope you get things sorted out soon.
Best wishes
Brenda

Anonymous

absent contributors
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 11:02:22 PM »
Cant believe it will be my 72nd birthday romorrow,  as I remember when  my Granny was that age, all dressed in black and never went out of her little back room where she lived in Greenwich, so some things have changed for the better.   Bel[/quote]

Belated birthday greetings Bel.  Don't 'they' say that 70 is the new 60!
I have a photograph of my grandmother with her four daughters.  The youngest only looks around 8years old yet Granny looks like a very, very old lady.  Mind you, she had a very tough life - 11 children and a vicious husband.
Brenda

Dickie Eagle

little old ladies ?
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2004, 07:58:06 PM »
Cant believe it will be my 72nd birthday romorrow,  as I remember when  my Granny was that age, all dressed in black and never went out of her little back room where she lived in Greenwich,  Bel

Belated birthday greetings Bel.  Don't 'they' say that 70 is the new 60!
I have a photograph of my grandmother with her four daughters.  The youngest only looks around 8years old yet Granny looks like a very, very old lady.  Mind you, she had a very tough life - 11 children and a vicious husband.
Brenda[/quote] I dunno about 70 being a new 60,but I am not looking forward to old age yetwhen you get a warm feeling in your Tummy and realise you forgot to switch the blanket off !, I'll accept it gracefully when it comes but even then you ladies won't look like Giles' Grannie , I remember visiting my Grandfathers mother in her little house in Barlow St. (Near East Lane ) She sat in the corner by the fire and had a South African "Grey" parrot named Tommy for company which swore like a Sailor. The old lady was in her late 80's and did wear Black from neck to ankles. She was looked after by "Aunt Lou" my Grandad's young sister (Her intended was lost at sea )but she was an affectionate lady with a good sense of humour Ah well, I hadn't thought of them for ages I did used to pop in during the war with the odd packet of tea.  bye now, keep 'em coming Dickie