Author Topic: Christmas again??  (Read 1279 times)

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Christmas again??
« on: December 20, 2019, 09:36:29 AM »
I hope you have had a wonderful year, and if not, I hope 2020 will be a new start full of hope and peace.

Sue and I, after a few years in central London, followed by New York City, Houston, central London again and a few months in Downham, now find ourselves in Bournemouth. No, we have not retired!

The time has, maybe, come to mothball this forum - I am thinking of keeping it online as an archive for posterity, but closing it for new posts and members, as that should keep it secure and free from the bad guys who still like to hack these things from time to time.

Before I do that, one last chance for faithful friends who have been here over the decades, as well as new friends, to have a "final" say on this forum, and also to maybe recommend some alternatives. I know not everyone likes Facebook or other social media (I blow hot and cold on them for sure), so let's see what other sites are out there where we can keep the spirit of nostalgia alive, but also look with optimism to a bright future for Downham and the surrounding area.

In the meanwhile, I wish a very Merry Christmas to you and those you love.

Mike & Sue

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Christmas again??
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 09:11:04 PM »
Hallo Mike,

Bournemouth eh?  You must have itchy feet!

I have to say I felt such a pang of sadness to see that Downham online will soon be a thing of the past.  I cannot begin to describe how excited I was when I first found it and how much pleasure it gave me to find old friends and make new ones and to share in nostalgia for the Downham of my early life.  I do thank you very sincerely for your work in keeping the site going and for so long.  I don't suppose any of us really expressed the appreciation we felt. 

I am not a fan of Facebook. I registered only to be able to keep in touch with the children of a dear friend of mine who passed away many years ago but I never put anything on there and feel a lot of bad stuff comes up on it.

Anyway, I do wish you and your family a wonderful 2020.  May you all keep happy, healthy and safe in what seems like a fraught world at times. 

Thanks again, Mike, thank you.

Brenda