« on: December 31, 2016, 08:42:56 PM »
Wishing you all a Happy New Year

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 08:51:28 PM »
Happy new Year Brenda, it's been a long time, how is life down under.   I was sorry to here about Dickie.  All the best John :) :) :)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »
Smiffy!  Yes, it's been a very long time indeed so it's extra nice to see your name pop up. I hope all is well  with you and yours.  Last time you were here, your wife's health was of great concern and I can only hope she got through okay.

Life is going well for us still.  Yes, it was sad to get the news of dear Dickie. 

Do hope you'll call into the site more often now. 

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 07:53:58 PM »
Hello Brenda.  Thank you for getting InTouch. Hope you and the Family are well. My lovely Bride Pam passed away in 2013, probably from the effects of the chemo on Her Heart, we miss Her very much.  In November I was 'over 'ome ' sorting out my Brothers Funeral I am the only surviving relative so I ended up at Hither Green Cemetery scattering His ashes , I am glad I did this for My Brother,other wise it would have been a stranger. Stayed in a Hotel in Bromley, enjoyed myself looking around Bromley,Downham & Catford. I am going to go back more often, it still feels like Home.  All The best.   Smiffy

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 08:36:41 PM »
I'm so very sorry Pam didn't make it, Smiffy.  I don't doubt the gap her going leaves is still very raw indeed.   And then you've lost your brother too and I can imagine just how awful it would be to know you are the only one left of your birth family.   You've had a difficult few years and I hope things get better for you as time goes on.

So, England still feels like home, eh?  Did you find the changes amazing and were there things you wished had stayed the same?

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 10:10:01 PM »
Brenda.    Yes there was a lot of changes. There are lots of changes everywhere these days, and as you get older you find them hard to cope with. So things are different!  England  is expensive. I wished things had stayed the same but change is inevitable, so if you did make the move you would have to be prepared for a colossal change, I think especially if you are carrying your memories around when you are there. I think lots more visits would be a good idea.   Thanks for the feed back Brenda.  You have always been a great Friend to everyone on Downham On Line and I think everyone appreciates it. God Bless.  Smiffy

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 10:16:39 AM »
Our old house in Durham Hill was demolished many years ago as the foundations were collapsing.  It was always on the shift even when we moved there in 1948.  I was very sad to hear it had gone and then, of course, so has the old library (I loved that place even as a young child) and swimming baths.
Pendragon School as I knew it is no more and I would have liked to have seen all these places again..

And old friends have gone as have all the aunts and uncles and some of the cousins.  I think I've left it too late to visit now.  Actually, I often do visit 'home' in my dreams and as I am walking around looking for places and telling people I used to live there but 'I belong in Australia' and I wake up knowing I am in the right place.

As you say, Smiffy, change is inevitable and it's daft to think anything can stay the same for ever.

Bren