Author Topic: Storms Over Downham  (Read 1309 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Storms Over Downham
« on: March 30, 2016, 05:26:23 PM »
Sorry Not Been On For A While. Hope That Everybody Is OK. Went To Downham Last Thursday Night, The Traffic Up Southover Onto Downham Way Was A Joke, But Other Than That, As Soon As Everybody Gets Home It`s Like A Ghost Town. Nobody Seems To Go Out Anywhere, I Know The Weather Wasn`t Good, But Even So There Wasn`t Antbody In The Tavern, Except For A Few Old Boys And The Music In There Was So Loud You Couldn`t Talk If You Wanted To. Then Last Sunday Night We In The Southeast Got Hit By A Storm. It Took A Few Tiles Off Pendragon Road House, So Need To Get That Done ASAP. Then I Wondered If The Tiles On My House Were The Same As When It Was First Built. I Will Have To Look At Some Old Photo`s To See. Get Back To You All About That. Keep Well All Of You.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Storms Over Downham
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:14:16 AM »
I heard from a friend in Crofton Park about the storm that hit the area - dreadful.  Also dreadful is loud music in places of entertainment which makes conversation impossible!  It's one of my pet hates and I have often asked the proprietor of the cafe/restaurant or whatever to turn the volume down.  Another pet hate are these places where the proprietor has decided to put on the television as if we don't have them at home to watch if we want to.  Grrrr! 

I'll be interested to find out about your roofing tiles, Splinter.  I wish my old home (40 Durham Hill) was still there but the unstable foundations were already causing big cracks in the walls when we moved there in 1948.  I was terribly upset when I heard it had got so bad that the whole block of houses had been demolished. 

Bren

billbaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:31:26 AM »
Many years ago I called the council to say we had some tiles missing and the lock on the front door was broken, a man came to fix the tiles and said he would have to go back to the yard for a ladder which I thought as the tiles were on the roof it would have been fairly obvious, later another man came to fit a new door lock, after he'd finished fitting it I noticed that it was flopping about loose, he said not to worry after a bit of dirt gets behind it it would tighten up.  :-\

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 12:23:06 AM »
Many years ago I called the council to say we had some tiles missing and the lock on the front door was broken, a man came to fix the tiles and said he would have to go back to the yard for a ladder which I thought as the tiles were on the roof it would have been fairly obvious, later another man came to fit a new door lock, after he'd finished fitting it I noticed that it was flopping about loose, he said not to worry after a bit of dirt gets behind it it would tighten up.  :-\

Oh dear!   You have to wonder, don't you?
Bren