Author Topic: The Splendid Theater  (Read 1741 times)

joanie

• View Profile
    • Email
The Splendid Theater
« on: July 30, 2015, 01:07:32 AM »
I will always remember the Splendid. Sometimes one of the kids from our group would get his ticket and after the show began, they would open the side door so we could crawl in and find a seat. This was great fun and an easy way to see a free show, provided we didn't get caught! The only thing worse was if my Mother found out, then it would have been hell to pay. I seem to remember seeing the "Smallest Show On Earth" starring Peter Sellers. It's ironic isn't it, to see that particular movie at the Splendid. Anyone else recall those good ol days?

Joan Ruby

billbaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Splendid Theater
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »
I remember in the late 40s when some of us kids on Saturday mornings would turn up with air pistols to fire at the cowboy baddies, the screen must have been full of holes, it became so bad that the frustrated manager told us if we handed in our air pistols with our name on a label we could collect them on the way out, the following Saturday lots more boys than usual brought air pistols in just to be seen handing them in.  ::)

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 11:40:51 PM »
Sold Newspapers out side around 1955-56 "Star News Standard get your paper here" Frank H.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 11:10:10 PM »
I will always remember the Splendid. Sometimes one of the kids from our group would get his ticket and after the show began, they would open the side door so we could crawl in and find a seat. This was great fun and an easy way to see a free show, provided we didn't get caught! The only thing worse was if my Mother found out, then it would have been hell to pay. I seem to remember seeing the "Smallest Show On Earth" starring Peter Sellers. It's ironic isn't it, to see that particular movie at the Splendid. Anyone else recall those good ol days?

Joan Ruby

The occasional visit to the Splendid with my parents is a great memory - and an indication of how so many of our parents did their best to provide pleasant interludes even though money was very tight.  Another favourite outing was Peter Pan's Pool and another was a visit to Bromley Gardens.  If Mum and Dad decided to see a film in Catford or Lewisham, we always got there early so we saw the end of the first showing before we saw the beginning of the last showing. This was so they could get out before the crush and avoid the long queues waiting for the bus home! 
Brenda