Author Topic: Bromley Court Hotel/Jazz Club  (Read 5725 times)

joanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Bromley Court Hotel/Jazz Club
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:26 AM »
It's been many years since I used to go to the Bromley Court Hotel/JazzClub to hear good music, dance and mingle with friends. I remember seeing several groups in the early sixties: to include the Davey Jones Band (of later fame as David Bowie), as well as the Spencer Davis Group (to include Little Stevie Winwood) who was too young at that time to even buy a drink, just as I was! Does anyone remember seeing Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen? Saw many other groups and indiviuals who also became famous later. Had a great time back in those days. I'm sure other "Downhamites" from my time can remember other shows at this club.....

Joan Ruby
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:00:56 PM by joanie »

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bromley Court Hotel/Jazz Club
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:25:22 AM »
Hi, I was into Jazz, Acker Bilk, Kenny Ball etc, the Bromley Court Hotel, Tigers Head and Chislehurst Caves, complete with a Triumph  Motorcycle, was full on in the early 60s Regards Frank H.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

geoffbates

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 09:39:20 AM »
I used to go to the Bromley Court on an Monday night and saw many bands there. A regular was Alexis Korner and his band. I saw many bands there including Long John Baldry, Acker Bilk, Peter Gabriel, Chris Barber , Tubby Hayes. There was also good Jazz on a Sunday lunchtime at the Tigers Head where dance band musicians would play for nothing Joe Mudele, Bill Sooey, Bill Sutcliffe, Tubby Hayes and Joy Marshall played and sang there. It was great entertainment.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
Hi everyone,
I haven't subscribed to this excellent forum for some time, but whilst investigating the maternal side of my family history I discovered a very surprising fact. I am related to Geoff Bates! He is my second cousin once removed! His Great Grand mother Clara Alice Oliver (1864 - 1929) was my Grandfather's
(Arthur Edward Oliver 1870 - 1942) sister. When I lived in Merlin Gardens as a boy, I recall that I often went with my mother to visit an Aunt Clara who lived with her husband George, in Lancelot Road. Aunt Clara had two sons one was in the RAF and served in Canada - his Canadian fiancé Jean, and a Canadian friend (female) were in UK and often came to see my family at Merlin Gardens - I'm not sure why she was here in the UK whilst he was in Canada! As you can imagine, it took some time on the computer to establish this relationship, but well worth it. I left Downham in 1949 to join the RAF, and I do try to visit the place again from time to time, and with a boyhood friend who once lived in Durham Hill, like to wander around from the 'Chinnie' (Chinbrook Park) to 'Up the Top' (Northover) for a fish and chip meal in a shop where the Maypole used to be on the corner of Northover and Lancelot Road - near where Lancelot School stood. At the ripe old age of 84, I like to remember all the good times I had growing up on 'Dahnum.
Regards and the COmpliments of the season to all ex and current Downhamites.
Vic Dabin. 

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 09:33:47 PM »
Hi everyone,
I haven't subscribed to this excellent forum for some time, but whilst investigating the maternal side of my family history I discovered a very surprising fact. I am related to Geoff Bates! He is my second cousin once removed! His Great Grand mother Clara Alice Oliver (1864 - 1929) was my Grandfather's

That's absolutely fascinating, Vic.  I've often hoped I have that sort of 'Eureka' moment and find a connection to someone on this website but I'm still waiting.

, and with a boyhood friend who once lived in Durham Hill, like to wander around from the 'Chinnie' (Chinbrook Park) to 'Up the Top' (Northover) for a fish and chip meal in a shop where the Maypole used to be on the corner of Northover and Lancelot Road - near where Lancelot School stood.

I lived in Durham Hill from around 1948-1969. What was the name of your boyhood friend?

Lovely to read your post and anecdotes of times past.  Like you - like most of us, it seems to me - memories of our early life on Downham still bring us the greatest pleasure.

Bren

At the ripe old age of 84, I like to remember all the good times I had growing up on 'Dahnum.
Vic Dabin.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 10:18:05 PM »
Brenda,
Good to hear from you after me being away from the forum for so long. My friend's name is Gordon Wilton. He was one of four brothers that lived at 116 Durham Hill - I think it was! Anyway, it was where the 124 bus used to turn back for Catford/Forest Hill when it was a Downham only service - opposite St Luke's Church. We, about 10 boys in the gang, played football or cricket, depending on the season, on the green between Durham Hill and Shroffold Road; or roared down the hill on our carts, on the pavement, from the church gate to the bottom of Roundtable Road by Dagonet Gardens. Anyone walking up Shroffold Road from Grove Park station had to jump for their lives as we swept past!  Gordon's father was an LT bus driver and drove his 47 or 138 or 126 bus, he was based at Bromley Garage, with great style and panache! It was always good fun to catch any bus that he was driving. Gordon, like me, has moved away from Downham , but we still like to visit the place with its many very fond memories. I went to Downham just a couple of years back and walked all over the dear old place. I was standing outside the flats in Ballamore Road - where I was born - talking to a couple of blokes building a garage in a garden on the corner with Reigate Road (a private garage on Downham!) and I told them that when, as a tiny tot, I was sitting on the kerb, just by where they were building I saw my first aeroplane fly over. 'Gaw blimey!' they said, 'you gotta a good memory!' I agreed and then walked to 'up the top' for a coffee in a café where 'Home & Colonial' used to be!
Ah, sweet memories.
God Bless all ex-Downhamites.
Vic.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »
Good to hear more from you Vic.  I didn't know any Wiltons but there would have been a 10+ age difference between me and you and your peers.  I lived at No 40 opposite Durham Hill Secondary School and probably didn't really know those boys who lived farther down except Malcolm Ballard who was in my class at Pendragon.

I desperately wanted a billy-cart when I was young but wasn't allowed to have one.  However, I did go speeding down the hill and often had to head towards a privet hedge to avoid going straight across Northover and risk going under a bus!

Lovely you have been back to Downham from time to time.  I never went back but still hold it dear in my memory and often dream I'm there.

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 09:09:40 AM »

And I should have said I often went speeding down the hill on my roller skates!

Bren

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 10:25:41 PM »
Hello Brenda,
When I was at Ballamore Road School I recall that it was sometimes necessary to visit the LCC Clinic at the bottom of the path down through Durham Hill Park, for medical and dental inspections - near Glenbow Road I think. Also, we were sent there by teachers if we had bad cuts or bruises, often sustained in the playground during a particularly fierce game of British Bulldog or Release or Buzzing Up. It was a good skive to get out of unpopular lessons - and I developed a schoolboy crush on the nurses  Of course, my journey would have taken me past your address in Durham Hill - but I would think that by the time you were there I was in Germany with the RAF! My two elder brothers went to Durham Hill School. The eldest was killed in an air raid at Forest Hill on 2nd October 1940 - my father's birthday. Like all kids in those days he had a pocket money job - his was with Neuk Laundry of Ladywell. He's buried with all the other children killed in the Lewisham area, including those from the school at Hither Green when 32 children and 6 teachers were killed during WW2, in Hither Green Cemetery  You may remember that I wrote quite a lot about my childhood to the forum some time back - but the new format has defeated me in finding it! I know that I wrote a lot about building carts and scooters, all with ball bearing wheels that made a grand growling noise over the pavement! I also promised you I would send you some pictures of Woodbank Road and the surrounding area - did I? As I said previously, I shall try to visit Downham this year and hope to see my old china Splinter. I'm determined to have fish and chips 'up the top' with him.
I know the foregoing has absolutely nothing to do with the Bromley Court Hotel/Jazz Club, but it's good to write about Dahnum again!
Regards to all,
Vic.

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 03:39:32 PM »
Hi Vic

Great as always to hear your memories! Here is a link that will show you all your forum posts in their historic glory...
http://www.downhamonline.org.uk/connect/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=3225

All the best for 2016
Mike

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »
Oh Dear!
Thank you for giving me the link to see all my earlier posts Mike, but I feel a bit embarrassed at my latest repetition of all the things I wrote in 2009/2012-3; sometimes almost word for word! I must try to think up some anecdotes which are original and not repeats of earlier thoughts. Bren, you must have wondered what was going on! I'll give my next contribution some thought before I post again.
'bye for now.
Vic.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 12:17:33 AM »
Hi Vic, my dad worked at the Bromley Garage, conductor on the 47/146 routes would have been around 1945-53?. Remember a photo of dads bus /Driver leaning out of the cab trying to shake hands with the driver of a very early bubble car, picture in the news papers. Dad was off the buses by the time I visited the Bromley Court, so I was clear of being seen,I had my motor cycle, so I would have been around 16-17 years, I was in the Army by 18 years old.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:54:53 PM by Frank (hutchsky) »
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

geoffbates

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 04:48:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

That's absolutely fascinating, Vic.  I've often hoped I have that sort of 'Eureka' moment and find a connection to someone on this website but I'm still waiting.

, and with a boyhood friend who once lived in Durham Hill, like to wander around from the 'Chinnie' (Chinbrook Park) to 'Up the Top' (Northover) for a fish and chip meal in a shop where the Maypole used to be on the corner of Northover and Lancelot Road - near where Lancelot School stood.

I lived in Durham Hill from around 1948-1969. What was the name of your boyhood friend?

Lovely to read your post and anecdotes of times past.  Like you - like most of us, it seems to me - memories of our early life on Downham still bring us the greatest pleasure.

Bren

At the ripe old age of 84, I like to remember all the good times I had growing up on 'Dahnum.
Vic Dabin.

geoffbates

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 04:57:44 PM »
Thanks to Vic I have another relation. My Grandmother was indeed Clara Bates Nee Earl who was married to George Bates. They lived at 52 Lancelot Road and had two sons George my Dad and Bill who emigrated to Canada. My Dad married Eileen Knights from Geraint Road and we lived with my Nan Clara at Lancelot Road until I was 8. We then moved to 8 Detling Road where my younger brother John still lives. John now props up the bar at the Tavern and he is very popular with the barmaids!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 09:24:05 AM »
No worries, Vic, a bit of repetition never goes amiss with a brain like mine!  And I'd certainly prefer to see more of the same than nothing at all.

I've just read your Jan 2 post or perhaps I had read it at the time but forgot!  At any rate, I've enjoyed reading it.  I remember the LCC clinic well and going to the dentist there where he literally burnt out some of my gum that had the temerity to work it's way into a hole that should have been seen to.  He heated up one of those vicious prong things and applied it! 

I don't remember your telling us about your brother who died in a bombing.  How very sad for you all.  One wonders how people cope with the stress and the losses of war. 

Brenda

Oh Dear!
Thank you for giving me the link to see all my earlier posts Mike, but I feel a bit embarrassed at my latest repetition of all the things I wrote in 2009/2012-3; sometimes almost word for word! I must try to think up some anecdotes which are original and not repeats of earlier thoughts. Bren, you must have wondered what was going on! I'll give my next contribution some thought before I post again.
'bye for now.
Vic.