Author Topic: Joe Mudele and the Downham Tavern  (Read 3277 times)

geoffbates

• View Profile
    • Email
Joe Mudele and the Downham Tavern
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »
Joe Mudele the well known bass player who appeared with Johnny Dankworth, Nat Temple and laurie Holloway recently died and his  obituary appeared in The Times. Joe went to school with my mum in Moorside Road and he and my mum in their early teens would travel around the pubs in the area with her singing and him accompanying her winning talent competitions. My mum was Eileen Knights before she married George Bates my dad. Mum had a great singing voice and Joe and her would often play in the Downham Tavern with Charlie Goodacre on the Piano and Charlie Tostavine on the drums. There were some very good singers around at that time and the pub was brilliant on a Saturday night. After the Tavern changed the two Charlie's went down and played in the British Legion Club in Old Bromley Road. Mum would often sing there with her brothers Bobby and Pat knights. Others who also performed were Terry Blake, H Stevens and the ex boxer Peter Mahoney. Great days! Does anyone else recall the talent Downham produced?

billbaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Joe Mudele and the Downham Tavern
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:31:05 PM »
I remember H. Stevens ('Aichee' we used to call him) when a friend and I were doing our National Service back in the 50s we never had much money, (our Army pay was 18 shillings a week back then), when we managed to get home some weekends, we would seek out 'Aichee' because he would walk straight past the  queue at the Prince of Wales Cinema, wave to the girl on the till, she'd wave back and because we were in uniform we'd all go straight in for nothing.

I joined The British Legion boxing club in Old Bromley Road around 1946 but left when I moved to live and work in North Devon for 3 years.

Bill.

Mokers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 07:25:24 PM »
Joe Mudele the well known bass player who appeared with Johnny Dankworth, Nat Temple and laurie Holloway recently died and his  obituary appeared in The Times. Joe went to school with my mum in Moorside Road and he and my mum in their early teens would travel around the pubs in the area with her singing and him accompanying her winning talent competitions. My mum was Eileen Knights before she married George Bates my dad. Mum had a great singing voice and Joe and her would often play in the Downham Tavern with Charlie Goodacre on the Piano and Charlie Tostavine on the drums. There were some very good singers around at that time and the pub was brilliant on a Saturday night. After the Tavern changed the two Charlie's went down and played in the British Legion Club in Old Bromley Road. Mum would often sing there with her brothers Bobby and Pat knights. Others who also performed were Terry Blake, H Stevens and the ex boxer Peter Mahoney. Great days! Does anyone else recall the talent Downham produced?

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 01:32:03 PM »
I never knew Joe Mudele, but certainly knew of him. I sang regularly at the Tavern with Charlie Goodacre with the other Charlie on drums from about 1951 onwards. Is Geoff Banks the same Geoff who was involved with the boxing club at Valeswood Road ?. I knew him well at the time - remember he was a brilliant pianist. Lodged with the boxing club Chairman opposite the club if I remember correctly. (Sorry, forget the Chairmans name, but he kept the club going) Boxers were big news on Downham at that time. Names that come to mind are Peter Mahoney, Freddie Reardon and his brother and of course Eric Mc Quaid who held a British title at one time. Good memories. Ken C.

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »
I never knew Joe Mudele, but certainly knew of him. I sang regularly at the Tavern with Charlie Goodacre with the other Charlie on drums from about 1951 onwards. Is Geoff Banks the same Geoff who was involved with the boxing club at Valeswood Road ?. I knew him well at the time - remember he was a brilliant pianist. Lodged with the boxing club Chairman opposite the club if I remember correctly. (Sorry, forget the Chairmans name, but he kept the club going) Boxers were big news on Downham at that time. Names that come to mind are Peter Mahoney, Freddie Reardon and his brother and of course Eric Mc Quaid who held a British title at one time. Good memories. Ken C.
Further to the above quote, I now remember the boxing clubs chairmans name - HARRY CONDON - What a legend, many a Downham lad had Harry to thank; otherwise they may very well have "gone astray". Talking of legends, how about a "Downham Legends Hall of Fame". I would include Harry. Another nominee would be Mr Jarvis of Brook Lane Mission. (hope this counts because technically it is (was) in Bromley). Many a Downham lad have Mr Jarvis to thank for the same reasons as Harry Condon - myself included. We used to go from Brook Lane Sunday school straight to the Splendid Cinema usually armed with a bottle of lemonade and a packet of Spangles. Let us have your nominees for the "Downham Legends Hall of Fame"  . P.S. to geoffbates. Do I remember correctly that Joe Mudele changed the spelling of his surname because originally it sounded like "Muddle" and was not very showbiz ?.

geoffbates

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »
Yes his name was Joe Muddle. He went to school with my mum and that's how they started to sing together round the pubs and win prizes.