Author Topic: In memory of an old school friend.  (Read 1792 times)

billbaker

• View Profile
    • Email
In memory of an old school friend.
« on: August 03, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »
Sadly one unfortunate Dolton evacuee, Barbara Woodland, who had to return home earlier in the war on reaching fourteen years of age, was later killed along with her mother when a German V2 rocket landed on New Cross Woolworths killing 168 people and injuring many more, Barbara was only seventeen years old at that time, a tragic end for a lovely girl. Barbara had been a school friend of mine and although four years older than me would sometimes grab hold of me in the playground and make me kiss her before letting me go; I still can see her face and hear her laughter in the playground.
Barbara’s name is remembered here along with her mother on the list of those killed at New Cross.

BARBARA WOODLAND, (1927 - 1944) aged 17 Daughter of Charles William Woodland, of 39 Shroffold Road, Downham, and of Violet Kathleen Woodland. Died at New Cross Road. And Mother Violet Kathleen also died in this incident

VIOLET KATHLEEN WOODLAND, (1904 - 1944) aged 40, Wife of Charles William Woodland, of 39 Shroffold Road, Downham, Kent. Died at New Cross Road. And daughter Barbara also died in this incident.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:32:27 PM by billbaker »