Author Topic: Richard Edward Eagle  (Read 3839 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Richard Edward Eagle
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »
Those of you who have been members of the forum for some time will be sad to learn Dickie Eagle passed away
on March 12th at the age of 90.  I'm glad I got to know him a little more through his postings and his yearly Christmas card.  He'll be missed.

Bren

Vic

• View Profile
Re: Richard Edward Eagle
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »
Thank you for passing on the sad news about Dickie Eagle Brenda. When I first started on this website we exchanged notes on the McQuade brothers, Eric and Brian, who lived in Ballamore Road opposite the school (now called The Merlin). Eric was an Express Dairy milkman, but also a fine boxer - at one stage he won a very prestigious bout at the Albert Hall; Dickie knew him. Brian was a particular pal of mine at school, but I lost track of him when I was evacuated - for the fourth time - in 1944 when the 'Doodlebugs' blitz was on.
I hope things are going well for you and your family 'Down under'.
Vic.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:27:38 AM »
Thank you for passing on the sad news about Dickie Eagle Brenda. When I first started on this website we exchanged notes on the McQuade brothers, Eric and Brian, who lived in Ballamore Road opposite the school (now called The Merlin). Eric was an Express Dairy milkman, but also a fine boxer - at one stage he won a very prestigious bout at the Albert Hall; Dickie knew him. Brian was a particular pal of mine at school, but I lost track of him when I was evacuated - for the fourth time - in 1944 when the 'Doodlebugs' blitz was on.
I hope things are going well for you and your family 'Down under'.
Vic.

I remember your talking about those fellows, Vic.  Dickie was an absolute treasure as far as Downham information was concerned and filled me in on various characters whose names I had either not known or forgotten about.  He fully understood how I still valued my connections to Downham and the old life and once even posted off some of the old bus tickets to me - the ones where the conductor actually clipped a hole when you paid your fare. Bless him. 

Yes, all is going well with us over here, thank you Vic.  I trust all is well with you and yours?

Bren

Jane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 07:10:51 AM »
Those of you who have been members of the forum for some time will be sad to learn Dickie Eagle passed away
on March 12th at the age of 90.  I'm glad I got to know him a little more through his postings and his yearly Christmas card.  He'll be missed.

Bren

I am very sorry to hear of Dickie's passing. Although I didn't have the privilege to meet him, he painted a very vivid picture on this forum and in emails to me of what Downham and the community centre were like before and during the second world war, which I've been able to pass on.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »
Sorry to here the sad news of Dickie, He had some great memories and if it wasn`t for this site we would not of read them. He will be missed.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.