Author Topic: "Slum" clearences  (Read 9805 times)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
"Slum" clearences
« on: April 14, 2004, 10:07:49 AM »
recent subscribers has highlighted the clearances from mostly SE1 Bermondsey, Southwark, Deptford, Rotherhithe towards Downham by the then LCC This meant that most of our parents and grandparents would have probably been neighbours , I know most of the people on Downham that I called "Aunt" or "Uncle" weren't related but were close friends of the families or remotely intermarried .One "Aunt" on the North Downham estate was (I later discovered) my Gran's sister, in fact it acted as a curb to my natural exhuberent tendences because the jungle drums would get a message home quickly. The plus side was the discovery of some attractive "cousins" to play with.  Strange too when you took someone Home from a dance,or local Hop and one of the parents would say "Oh ! you're Lou's (or Dicks) boy how are they etc. WORSE would be "No funny stuff, she is your cousin...... " Still it made Downham warmer and friendlier and Home . morning all, where's my Easter Egg then ? Dickie.............X
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Anonymous

Re: "Slum" clearences
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 10:56:48 PM »
[This meant that most of our parents and grandparents would have probably been neighbours , I know most of the people on Downham that I called "Aunt" or "Uncle" weren't related but were close friends of the families or remotely intermarried . Dickie.............X[/quote]

Yes Dickie, I can relate (pardon the pun) to this.  In Capstone Rd lived Nellie Scanlon.  I called her Aunt Nellie.  The connection was that my grandmother (who was the neighbourhood unofficial midwife) delivered her.  Along Northover was a woman my mother went to school with.  She had a wonderful red setter (lived opposite St Luke's) that I adored.  Always did love dogs.  Somewhere off Woodbank Rd was a young woman who was vaguely connected to my family - but I can't remember who she was or what her name was.   You're right Dickie, all these connections served to make the Downham neighbourhood much more cohesive.  We were very, very lucky to have had that sort of upbringing, weren't we?
Brenda

Anonymous

"Slum" clearences
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 06:51:30 PM »
Yes... I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Reigate Road,  another who lived in Geraint Road, and another aunt and uncle in Evans Road. We used to have lovely get togethers and found out that most of our neighbours knew them as well. In fact my sister (who is 78)  found out that a neighbour two doors down from her was in the same class at school in Lewisham where my parents had two rooms before moving to Downham, and even had a photograph  with them both in it. Yes they were good days and we are blessed with lovely memories.  Bel

Anonymous

"Slum" clearences
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 06:53:14 PM »
Dont know where the smiley face came from at I pressed the 8 button making it 78.  Bel

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
"Slum" clearences
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 01:36:20 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
Dont know where the smiley face came from at I pressed the 8 button making it 78.  Bel
I know Bel you were subconciously making faces at your big sister (g) How is she. none the worse for her escapade and a trip back to your old workplace ? She is nearer my age so I may have bumped into her.  Dickie...............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Bel

• View Profile
"Slum" clearences
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 03:29:23 PM »
Yes Dickie, she is now fine... thanks to TLC from yours truly.. She is back to going swimming 3 times a week and off to Egypt with us in two weeks time. I dont think that you came across her, as she was the one that stayed at home with her knitting, and I have definitely done more milage than her, inspite of being the younger one. Thought you had all hibernated from this horrible weather, I did 3 miles this morning with the Sapphie dog and nearly got blown away, as did most of the fencing round the garden. Regard to you all Bel

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
"Slum" clearences
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 09:49:04 PM »
Quote from: Bel
Yes Dickie, she is now fine... thanks to TLC from yours truly.. She is back to going swimming 3 times a week and off to Egypt with us in two weeks time. I dont think that you came across her,  I have definitely done more milage than her, inspite of being the younger one. Thought you had all hibernated from this horrible weather,  Regard to you all Bel
"more milage"  Bel ? or made more use of your time ?  I have thought seriously that I wasted an awful lot of my time when I could have put it to better use, or spent too much time with the wrong people and ignored those that should have mattered . I realised too late that I was irresponsible and hurt some very nice aquaintances on the way, though in retrospect it could be conceit that makes me assume that I meant much to them anyway ! Can't change much now Pet, I do have a great family around me and some good friends and neighbours  plus those I have made at my Boot Fairs and in Holland. Not bad when it started to blossom in Downham eh ?      Dickie....................

Bel

• View Profile
"Slum" clearences
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 09:02:57 PM »
awe |Dickie, straight from the heart. My first thought was to say that I didnt make more use of my time, as my sister was the career minded one and travelled far more than I did.  But on reflection I suppose bringing up 3 sons was very time consuming, seeing that they were educated, well fed and doing my best by them, as well as holding down a job (many different ones to cover school holidays, etc.,). Unfortunately I chose the wrong partner but it took me 30 years to get my act together and go it alone. I never looked back and went from strength to strength after that. I believe that we have to learn from the mistakes we made (and we all make plenty) . I have 3 granddaughters (21, 19, 18 ) they are much more sensible than I was at their ages. I tell them about my mistakes,and hope my words of wisdom will help them in some small way.  My glass is half full and I am contented with my lot.  Best wishes Bel

Pauline

• View Profile
Bel's Trip
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 07:13:54 AM »
Is Bel back yet?  I guess not otherwise we would have heard.  I really want to know what Egypt is like now.  We went in 1987 - just before we came to Australia.  I had always wanted to go, and my husband Pete thought we should before we came downunder.  But we now agree that the trip was such a blurr of temples and tombs that we really need to go again to clear our heads.  But I was a bit concerned because of problems in the area.
We hope to go to Vietnam sometime this year or early next year.  You get a different range of holiday locations from this neck of the woods.
Singapore is 'just up the road aways', and Bali is our Benidorm 8) .
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Bel

• View Profile
"Slum" clearences
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 10:52:50 AM »
Yes back from Egypt and  I must say it was most enjoyable. The weather was perfect (although rather hot) and the Egyptions are charming people and hardworking for very little pay some of the cleaning lads get as little as two Egyption pounds a week working 7 days 10 hour shifts. I know they rely on their tips but nothing was too much trouble. My son has been their 25 times over the last few years and business wise always finds them very fair.  We went out into the desert star gazing and meditating and over all had a perfect week. Mind you Sharm  is geared up for the holiday maker and the hotels are very luxurious . It is getting  a very popular resort with the British now and some of my friends are going there  in the summer as they are fed up with Spain. Unfortunately we never got to see the pyramids as it was an 8 hour coach ride, so we just chilled. Best wishes Bel

dickie eagle

Re: "Slum" clearences
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 08:54:12 AM »
Somewhere off Woodbank Rd was a young woman who was vaguely connected to my family - but I can't remember who she was or what her name was.  
Brenda[/quote.               Brenda, "somewhere along woodbank was a friend of my sisters (who was evacuated to Folkstone with her from Durham Hill) strangley her name was Winifred Harris,known as Winnie, and an unkind nickname of "Kipper" because her walk put her feet at the angle of Ten minutes to Two. Related ?       dickie.....................

Anonymous

Re: Bel's Trip
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 07:55:53 AM »
Quote from: Pauline
Is Bel back yet?  I guess not otherwise we would have heard.  I really want to know what Egypt is like now.  We went in 1987 -   I had always wanted to go, and my husband Pete thought we should before we came downunder.  But we now agree that the trip was such a blurr of temples and tombs
         Pauline ! I bet that sun tan has faded too. but I sympathise with you when "Holidays" become culture trips. We went to Turkey on an "organised" tour and it was one Mosque after the other and Topkapi and the Dardanelles where the guide was a bit snide by informing us that they won,then sulked when asked if the Turks pulled out of the war because of that ! (He also forfieted any tips he could have got ).Egypt,especially Sharm el Sheikh, gets full marks for a warm, clean, friendly and positive approach to a good Holiday. Quite the reverse applies to the area the Israelites have occupied next door where service is indifferent and the attitude is "Give us your cash and go "in Eilat.  I'd rather go to Wapping for a Holiday     Dickie..................

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Bels Egyption vacation
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 09:18:54 PM »
Quote from: Bel
Yes back from Egypt and  I must say it was most enjoyable.   We went out into the desert star gazing,   Bel
Ooh Bell ! to gaze at stars you have to look up ,what WERE you doing Hun ? ? :roll:  It reminds me of that corny old Jewish joke of the bride and groom together and the blushing bride saying " Moyshie, the ceiling needs painting "     dickie........................X